Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cliffhanger! Part #1 & 2 & 3 & 4 :D

Wayne in BC

Brother Ken was living in Edmonton Alberta, about a hundred miles from me in 1982. He called me one day in day in Early September and asked if i was very busy with my guiding business, and could we get together for a hunt?
I said, hey i have another week before my first hunters come in, get yer butt down here quick!
We had not hunted together in years as Kenny had been working all over western Canada as a heavy duty mechanic. Hunting with my bro was such a pleasure, the big goof made any trip into an adventure with his ready humor and though most would not realise it because of his personality, he was a smart and accomplished outdoorsman!
He readily agreed to be at my place the next day as i mentioned that a mutual friend of ours "Cliff" wanted to go also. He said sure, as long as we can keep him sober :lol:.......

Cliff guided for me, was also a good hunter and fine company, though prone to like the "firewater" a bit too much he would behave himself when with us, and never drank to excess when working.

The next afternoon we were finally organised, My 4x4 powerwagon with "stockracks" and two horses. Kens 3/4 ton truck pulling the horsetrailer and three horses, (we needed a saddlehorse each and two packhorses as we were going deep into the mountains for 4 days) and Cliff with his pet project, a gorgeous restored 1949 ford pickup with our gear, food, tack, and grain for the horses in the back. The grain, an oat/barley/molasses mixture, was needed as the local grass, though plentiful, was low protein and the horses needed a daily boost.
We would be traveling some 110 miles from my place, the last 20 miles on borderline 4x4 type, high mountain roads to the starting point at roads end where we would saddle up and travel another 15 miles to a small "spike camp" i kept for Elk hunting as that was our game.

The light was gone long before we reached our jumping off point that evening and we travelled the twisty and slightly icy (which was unexpected though not unusual in september) mountain road carefully, keeping up a chatter on our CB radios. Kenny was in the lead with me behind him in the Powerwagon because his truck was only 2wheel drive, pulling the trailer up the hills was tricky and i had to occasionally ease up behind him on a hill and push with my big bumper on the back of the trailer to keep him from spinning out. (forgot the chains and ya, we were kinda goofy in those days:biggrin:). Cliff brought up the rear and we were only a couple miles from the end of the road/trail when i knew we might have a problem, though i had no idea of how big it was going to be!

The back and forth chatter on the radios had both Kenny and i worried because for the past 20 minutes or so Cliff had seemed a bit slow to respond to us and seemed to be slurring his words. Both of us were thinking the same dire thing, that Cliff was drinking, the damn fool! Now he did not respond at all and we stopped, getting truly worried .........

We continued to call him on the radio for a few minutes with no response and i began turning my truck around on the narrow trail. Black dark now, and we were frantic with worry and fear when i heard a faint voice on the radio! Thankfully i answered, saying, where the heck are you? Silence for a long moment, then Cliff answered, his voice shakey and faint.......i don't know........i think i'm in the river. OMYGODWHERE??!! .....i don't know......ARE YOU HURT!?......don't think so but the roof is kinda low.....mumble mumble.....:surprised:
Hurriedly Ken and i tried to figure out where he might be, he obviously had gone off the road and there had been a long downhill back a mile or so that bottomed out as it turned left sharply and crossed an old wood bridge over a rushing little creek strewn with boulders in the narrow valley. We had navigated it slowly and carefully with no probs and i had warned Cliff that it was coming so be careful! He had acknowledged and i thought little of it....until now!

continued.........

I quickly finished turning the truck around as Ken drove ahead some to a level spot off to the side and parked. In my truck with the horses stamping and confused by the stopping and starting, we drove back down the icy road, to the creek crossing, seeing nothing there but getting the occasional response from Cliff on the radio. He could not tell us where he was and seemed to be getting less coherent as we drove further yet! We reached an area a couple miles back where i knew i had seen his headlights behind me. Nothing, no skid marks, no sign of trouble. Frantic now because this road had sharp drop offs going down hundreds of feet all along it, we turned back again, with Ken hanging out the window with my spotlight, looking for any sign, .....nothing!

Coming once again to the bridge at the bottom of the hill, i stopped and took the flashlight, walking to the side of the approach to the bridge showed faint tire tracks on the shoulder! No skid marks, just tracks, and even before i shone the flashlight down, i saw faint tailights.... Cliffs TRUCK! barely visible because it was black, it sat, 20 feet down in the middle of the stream nearly straight below the side of the bridge with its nose tight against the bank in a foot or so of water. It was on its wheels and idling, old style dim yellow headlights on but barely seen against the bank. We would never have seen it from our vehicle.

Scrambling down the bank over icy rocks we waded through the frigid water! The roof of the truck was squashed down a foot on the drivers side, the windshield spiderwebbed...... the creek and surrounding area was littered with our gear! I could see Cliff sprawled against the drivers side door so with quite a bit of effort, opened the passenger side as Ken and i urgently spoke to our buddy! .....Hey! Hey! we are here! Are you ok? He drunkenly mumbled, ya i think so but i kinda wrecked my truck!

That was the last straw for Kenny! Never one to mince words, as soon as he was satisfied that Cliff was not hurt.....he growled...alright you sumbeetch! And hauled him out of the truck, saying, you are gonna sober up and the crick is gonna help you....as he dumped him into a foot of icewater!:lol: I was still worried about unknown injuries but figured that if he died....we could blame the "accident":biggrin: It only took a few seconds or so for our boy to start hollering and struggling, Kenny half dragged him up the bank and deposited him in the warm truck.....saying....stay and shut up!! and we began gathering wet sleeping bags, food, tack etc from the creek.

An hour later we were trying to put together a plan to get the truck out of the creekbed and back up to the road. Ken had gotten in and actually drove the thing back and forth, getting it upstream some 30 feet above the bridge, amazingly it ran fine and other than a bent roof and numerous dents it seemed fine! No way to get it up the steep rocky sides tho, i would have to "crawl" the Powerwagon down, winch him into position up to one side on a low part of the bank, then winch my way back up to the road, chain my truck to a boulder to anchor it then winch the little Ford up to the road!

It became clear from the tracks that Cliff had not turned at the bridge and driven off the road, his truck traveling some 20 feet down and out another 20, landing on a gravel bar above the bridge with what was likely a hell of a THUMP! Flipped over and rolled downstream several times, luckily in the water, and came to rest on its wheels where we found it. Another weird thing was that it never stalled.

No point boring you with the shenanagins involved in winching the truck back up on the road:biggrin: but by the time we got it done 3 hours later, Cliff, now mostly sober, was quietly helping and Kenny would try to growl at him .......only to start laughing, and say YOU get the wettest sleeping bag! We all broke up a couple times, part relief and stuff i reckon:lol:

There is more, but to me this was actually the least exciting part of the hunting trip, it just got better!:heh:............

to be continued....cause i'm getting crosseyed!:blink:

I suspect that this story will have lots of action...already starting out that way with old Cliff lost somewhere, possibly in a creek. How long until you post part 2? This is going to be a classic story! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Why don't you give it a shot and do part 3 tonight...this way you could sleep late tomorrow morning, hows that? This is a good one so far, waiting for the next part! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

By the time we got organised and back on the road it was only a couple hours before dawn. After unloading the horses at roads end, then making coffee, no sleep was going to be had and our bedding was wet, we decided to pack the horses and gear to head out.
Dawn found us starting the 10 mile ride to our first camp, the temperature rapidly rising in the bright sun. I was riding "Duster" my Dun Quarterhorse, a very sensible guy who had no objection to items of clothing being hung all over him to dry. Ken had my big Anglo Arab mare "Fleet" who was also calm and unfazed by the same treatment. Not so Cliff, who was, hungover, and contrite, he was trying to do the same, (i can't recall its name at the moment) but his own horse, a pretty Palomino Anglo Arab, did not appreciate being used as a clothesline and was making life even more miserable for our sorry buddy by dancing. snorting, and shying, until Cliff asked in frustration if he could hang some wet gear on our horses.....sadly there was no room:biggrin:

I had my little black Welsh/Quarter cross packhorse named Sam and Ken leading a calm, whitish colored "no particular breed" packhorse of mine called "Cloudy". Both of us had our sleeping bags draped over their packboxes but they could have cared less, it was their job.
That "Sam" packhorse and i were buddies, we just plain liked each other real good. He was equally at home being packed or ridden and was "rawhide" tough! He never quit or got balky,and would come at a whistle every time, just like Duster. Sam would usually just follow behind me, a lead rope not necessary as he was this day and i would later regret that as Sam was stopping often to steal a few mouthfuls of grass, then would trot to catch up and at the time it did not seem to be a problem.

What a place it is out there on the east slope of the Rocky mountains! Even we who lived there so very long would often just stand in awe of the beauty of this area seen by only a fortunate few like us! Most of the streams in this area had either Cutthroat trout, Rainbow, or Dolly Varden aka "Bulltrout" and we always carried some tackle, it needed not be fancy, just some line and a few hooks and split shot sinkers and cut a pole. A fat grasshopper floated along the grassy overhang on a creek only 3 feet across would have you dinner in seconds! Firm lovely trout from ice cold, crystal pure water.........

6 miles out near such a little stream in a pretty valley full of mountain wildflowers and just before we started up a long uphill switchback trail that crossed the first divide, we stopped at Cliff's urging to reorganise our gear in decent light, as we had packed in near dark conditions.
We were all feeling better now in the warm sunshine and filled once again with anticipation because of all the fresh Elk sign.
We began to reorganise our gear. I opened one packbox and found room for some of the gear Cliff had hanging off his saddle, by taking out the big stewpot and kettle, fastening them one on each side of Sams packsaddle then stowing Cliffs spare boots and spotting scope that would not fit in his saddlebags and were hanging off the latigos on his saddle! Bad way to pack for sure, he knew better too, but things HAD been a tad dicey that day:biggrin:

I remember so well, Ken, who was always well organised, lying on a grassy hummock nearby and beginning to snore as we finished our chores. I remember even better, Cliff glancing at Kenny boy and an evil grin coming over his face.........i figured something was up and expected maybe Kenny was about to get a faceful of cold crick water as payback, what i did not expect at all was Cliff removing his rifle from the scabbord.........

continued later......do ya like westerns?;)

if i were brave like Fred, i would say you were a greedy little thing!......but i aint brave.....so i won't:blink::rofl:

i would have started on the next installment but have been taking on the puter to an aquaintance in NYC , yak yak yak.....
Later Sunny

As Cliff turned around with that rifle in his hand and the weird grin on his face i suddenly had an idea of what was up, expecting him to fire in the air to scare Kenny out of his nap.

Now Kenny was always able to drop off to sleep anytime anyplace, something i could never do and he pissed me off as many times, i was really jealous of his ability! Now i was thinking it would not be such a bad thing to give the big goof a wakeup, as he laid flat on his back in the flowers snoring lightly. But i was again not prepared for what Cliff did as he walked a few feet from the sleeping giant and turned away from him......

The next thing i heard was a wild scream from Cliff and a rifle blast together! Then another blast as Kenny leaped up and Cliff yelled GRIZZLY!! and fired once more at a point behind my panicked and confused brother. Ken did not look or anything, just ran for his horse and rifle! The horses were prancing around and he had trouble getting close to get his rifle. I just stood there not sure whether to laugh or not as Ken got his rifle out, fired off to one side of me and said as he worked the bolt, damn he is still coming!! This made ME spin around confused and wide eyed, this had not been a joke on Ken! There must be a real Grizzly and i headed for my horse and gun.....

Only to hear the two clowns start laughing fit to bust! I had been "had"!:clapping: Those two boogers were roaring, snorting, and pointing at me with tears in their eyes. I took it pretty well, though i made a mental note to get even:biggrin:

We finally saddled up and began to ride the switchback trail up through the valley and heading for our basecamp a few miles away. Sam was trailing along behind me and Kenny leading his packhorse was in the lead with Cliff behind him. We went up a fair ways uneventfully, all enjoying the leisurely pace and relaxing, at least we were until "Murphy" struck my packhorse Sam! :blink:

He had been doing his usual thing, stopping to snatch some grass off the side of the narrow trail and had started trotting to catch up from 50 yards or so back and was too close to a dead snag, so of course Murphy "arranged" for one of the branches to poke carefully under the tie holding the stewpot, popping loose the knot that held it down so that it could leap merrily across in front of the pack saddle and land with a resounding BONG! on the kettle! Said kettle retaliated by launching the pot back across the now very spooked horse whose huge leap sent the kettle back to BONG! again on the pot! and on it went as the now thoroughly freaked out Sam came up the narrow trail....BONG BING BONG BING! at a full gallop heading for what in his mind was his only salvation......ME! All i could do was yell futiley.....NOOOOO SAM!!!!WHOA!! WHOA!! and i heard laughter somewhere......

When Sam got to about 30 feet away he put on the brakes, skidding to a stop right at Dusters flank with a last mighty BONG! Duster who was also spooked and dancing, thinking that all the devils in hell were coming to get him leaped ahead and off the trail, down a slope 10 feet and smack into a big ol wolf willow, throwing me head first through the thick branches and hanging me, unhurt, but upside down and helpless in the center....to the peals of more laughter from those two clowns!:rofl:
After my bro asked if he should rope me and pull me out with his horse i got a bit testy and the boys settled down to just the occasional giggle as they rescued me:lol:

To this day Cliff maintains that his "truck wreck" did not even compare to my "horse wreck" for entertainment and i guess i gotta give him that:biggrin:
I got even with Sam even though he did not deserve it really, he had to pack out most of the only game taken...MY big Bull Elk!,:razz: the last laugh aint so bad.....

ps, that old truck drove home just fine and Cliff paid for his trespass by spending most of two hours with his head out the side window in cold weather to see where he was going due to the spiderwebbed windshield....

finished:beers:

I sure wish it did not have to end just yet. Every time you write a story, you get better at telling it...always enjoyable reading. This story is the type that will not soon be forgotten and folks will be thinking about it for some time into the future, always wishing for the good old days. Wayne, thank you for sharing! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

have loved to have been able to hunt with you crazy suckers.:crazy::crazy: