Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Check this out

Danny (OBX)

Last week I was hunting with Seaweed and Roger (Soda Pop Pirates). We must have walked over this thing several times during the day.

n/t

I have a snake soft spot. Used to have them for pets as a younger man. In my best educated guess I would say what we have here is a Canebrake Rattlesnake. He definitely would have hurt you had you been bitten. Venom is toxic and second only to the Coral snake in toxicity.

that is certainly a Canebrake - good eyes, Gulf Hunter!

I'd have to disagree slightly regarding the toxicity - I'd guess that the Mojave Rattlesnake is second and the Canebrake is tied for third place with the SideWinder.

One cool thing about the canebrake rattlesnake and part of the reason so many encounters with them are so deadly - when they are moving through high grass, they often have the front third of their bodies vertically off the ground. (If you see them before they see you, they look like periscopes moving over the surface of the ground.)

Why is that so deadly? Two reasons - 1) They've already got 1/3 of their body extended for a strike; and 2) They tend to strike humans much higher on the legs (thighs allow for a deeper bite / more poison injected than if they struck calves or ankles) Also, leather boots which offer minimal protection rarely extend above mid-calf.

My two cents...

From an episode I think on Discovery Ch., I recall Mark O'Shea the herpetologist saying his worst bite ever was from a Canebrake. O'Shea is the skinny wild red haired fellow who would tackle things I wouldn't even think about.

Here's a quote from an interview of O'Shea by Russ Case:

"What is the most venomous snake you have ever caught, and have you ever had a near-death experience?

I have caught many highly venomous snakes, including king cobras, bushmasters, black mambas, Papuan taipans, beaked sea snakes, Sri Lankan Russell vipers and other species.

I have experienced several snakebites, although I do not disclose how many because they are not Boy Scout merit badges, they are occupational hazards.

My most serious bite resulted from a large canebrake rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus atricaudatus) at the Safari Park in 1993. This bite was as near to fatal as was possible without falling over the edge. In the field, it would have killed me, but with rapid medical attention, I made it through. I was hospitalized for nine days and could not use my right arm for weeks."

If you do a web search the Canebrake is really a Timber Rattler. If I were huntin' down that way I'd be wearin' leather waders and carry'n a snake charmer.

BarnacleBill

That is definitly scary stuff. I'm so surprised to hear his worst bite was from the canbrake. I always thought Black Mambas and Tipans were the worst, but then I'm certainly no herpatologist. I guess it's even worse than a funnell web spider from Australia. They're supposed to be one of the most dangerous spiders but that Cainbrake doesn't sound like too much fun. Good thing you got it before it got you. I'm not into killing snakes just for the thrill of it, but if it's gonna be him or me, I'd rather it be him layin out in the middle of the road dead than me.

I have had to many encounters with snakes in my lifetime. Try sitting at the edge of a lake and have one crawl underneath you for starters.

Phil, thanks for the verification of species. On the toxisity issue I was refering to rattlesnakes in general. Followed by cottonmouths and copperheads on the USA viper scale. HH

the following website:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/canebrake.htm

HH (and I don't mean for snakes)
BarnacleBill

I stand corrected, in all my snake books they distinctly have always separated the 2 species. Looks like maybe they have discovered an overlapping of the species. Thanks for the update.