Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chatham Light.....Cape Cod and all the wonderful Lighthouses by RJ are here!

Ron J

I would think this could be a popular subject....I didn't realize how many photo's i have of various lighthouses, so figured i would show a few..some you may have seen already... Whatever..Enjoy! This is Scituate Mass.[attachment 114385 CG117.jpg] Next is Gloucester Mass.[attachment 114386 100_1252.jpg] The Twin Lights on Thatchers Island, Rockport Mass.I have actually been in the left Light! Built in 1867. The Right Light is still in use,its automated. Ten Pound Island, Gloucester Harbor..[attachment 114388 100_1243.jpg] Derby Light, Salem Mass.[attachment 114389 DerbyLight001.jpg] Butler Flats, Fall River, Mass.

My favorite is Hospital Point Light in Beverly, Mass. Maybe because its located in my home town? It is home to the Commandant of the First Coast Guard District.I have been in this Light also. Its a extremely beautiful view!From this point, you can see THREE lighhouses, while standing at one.[attachment 114392 DSC06704.jpg] First to the left is Bakers Island, with Bakers Light of course. At the turn of the Century,(1900) there were twin lights here, called Ma & Pa. Straight across we would see Marblehead Light, a tall Erector type steel tower, guarding Marblehead Harbor. Marblehead is a large Sailing Community, with old generation Blue Blood Yankees![attachment 114394 DSC06710.jpg] Then to the right, we have Winter Island Light, entrance into Salem Channel..[attachment 114395 DSC06711.jpg] The pictures are screwed up...the top middle is Marblehead, the right is Winter Island, and the lower center is Bakers!!!! Hang on, i know the pictures are too distant, but i wanted to give you an idea of distance. Close-ups are to follow..........:D

First is Bakers Island.....[attachment 114396 100_1184.jpg][attachment 114397 100_1188.jpg] Next we have Marblehead Light,told you it would be a "close-up" :D [attachment 114399 Marbleheadlight027.jpg][attachment 114400 Marbleheadlight026.jpg] and last is Winter Island Light...[attachment 114401 CoalShip003.jpg][attachment 114402 CoalShip013.jpg] Want More????????? :D

Okay, this Light may have Hospital Point beat...Nah..close,but noooo....Beautiful isn't it..never tire of viewing these pics! You ought to see it in person...Too think, all of these Lighthouses, are within 5 minutes to a little over an hour to drive to...[attachment 114403 CapeNeddick008.jpg][attachment 114404 CapeNeddick009.jpg][attachment 114405 CapeNeddick012.jpg][attachment 114406 CapeNeddick021.jpg][attachment 114407 CapeNeddick014.jpg][attachment 114408 CapeNeddick020.jpg]

because you are a very talented photographer and have some super, wonderful, beautiful photos! :)

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t

[attachment 114411 Jan1908045.jpg]Minots Light off Scituate.. Here is Boston Light, America's first, in Boston Harbor,still has a Keeper.. with The Graves Light behind it.[attachment 114413 Jan1908093.jpg]Next is Port Judith, Rhode Island..Check the flags..strong winds..[attachment 114414 WarehamNantuckert2021.jpg] This Light is in Newburyport, which is part of a resturant now. I think for around $500 a couple can eat in the lighttower and order whatever you want, while the waitress gets worn out climbing the spiral stairs...[attachment 114415 PlumIsland013.jpg] That beam you see has since been removed. Repairs must have been made to stabilize the structure.This smaller Light is next to the restaurant,but located on Merrimack Coast Guard Station property. They are both used as a "range" to get a bearing while entering the Harbor.[attachment 114416 PlumIsland008.jpg] Next is Plum Island Light, which has a green light. Its located closer to the mouth of the Merrimac River, entrance to Plum Island / Newburyport Harbor. Considered one of the second most dangerous harbor entrances on the East Coast!

This is Nauset Light, not the original, but one of a pair that was located in Chatham. This was moved to this location in 1921 or 22? I forget at this moment..It was closer to the Sea, but due to errosion, moved inland.[attachment 114422 lighthousesCapeCod008.jpg] Up the road about a mile, are "The Three Sisters", long story here, but they also were on the oceans edge, and replaced because of their age, and were run down..They were sold, seperated,and joined back together by the Cape Cod National Seashore...[attachment 114423 lighthousesCapeCod011.jpg] Here is Highland Light or Cape Cod Light, which has been moved also away from the high dunes, before it could topple over from errosion. The rock,with the plaque is within 50 feet of the edge of the dunes....[attachment 114427 lighthousesCapeCod035.jpg][attachment 114428 lighthousesCapeCod040.jpg][attachment 114429 lighthousesCapeCod039.jpg]

Here we have another beautiful location...Chatham Harbor, another extremely dangerous harbor entrance, where the tides constantly change sandbars, and storms wreck havoc. The entrance you see wasn't there ten years ago,storms opened this entrance....[attachment 114430 DSC06251.jpg] Here is the pad, where the now, Nauset Light once stood! (the two tone light on the other post).[attachment 114431 DSC06228.jpg]Because of my invitation as a guest of the Lightship Sailors Association,:thumbup: i had the pleasure of going inside! Climb the spiral stairs to see a tremendous view! Click on the pics for a better view![attachment 114432 DSC06243.jpg][attachment 114433 DSC06229.jpg][attachment 114435 DSC06239.jpg][attachment 114436 DSC06245.jpg]