Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Canadian quarter

BHNugget

Detecting with the V3 this morning I found a 1969 canadian quarter that VDI'ed a solid +93.After finding an online reference, it stated this quarter is .999 nickel.Does nickel give this high of VDI like silver?

I find that the .999 nickel quarters and dimes VDI at high numbers. Quarters are usually 82-93 but mostly in the 80s. Dimes are almost always 93. Newer Canadian coins (2000+) have steel cores and nickel plating so they show up as iron. You won't find those unless you're in all metal mode.

Mid-1968 and earlier would have been silver - too bad you missed it by a year!

Thanks james, I thought I had my first silver canadian for sure.:blowup: :lol:

Interesting. I found a 1958 (I think that was the date) canadian nickel. It rang in the 90's and came out of the ground like silver (as opposed to the usual redish or greenish color of old nickels found in our area).

RacerX said:
Interesting. I found a 1958 (I think that was the date) canadian nickel. It rang in the 90's and came out of the ground like silver (as opposed to the usual redish or greenish color of old nickels found in our area).

Canadian nickels seem to VDI all over the place even though they are .999 nickel (except the new ones which have steel cores). Sometimes they VDI at a solid 19-20 in both directions and sometimes they VDI at high numbers like silver. I think that if they were buried for a long time the VDI is higher. US nickels have 75% copper and their VDI is a lot more consistent.

The last silver Canadian 5 cent was 1921. These old coins are a bit smaller than a US half-dime.