Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Canadian coins in South Texas...............

Kelley (Texas)

When I was a young boy, my Mother gave me a Canadian penny that she had found in some change in her purse. That penney fascinated me and launched a lifetime quest for collecting Canadian coins. Now I might want to mention that by collecting Canadian coins that I mean that I throw them in a cigar box for viewing from time to time, not as a hard core coin collector. The Canadian coins come from various sources: I will on occasion find one in my pocket change, friends will give me a coin or two when they find them, once in a long while I will find one when metal detecting, and the young lady at the local bank will often give me one that she found in the change that folks turn in at the bank.

Canadian coins will often have a maple leaf on them, but sometimes they will have an animal on them. This 1942 copper nickel is one of my favorites with a beaver on it.
[attachment 50508 Canadanickel1942.jpg]

This is a pile of my Canadian nickels with the oldest one with a date of 1922. Not shown in this pile of nickels is a small nickel called a "fish scale" nickel that Mike sent me...it is still in the original envelope that he sent me and is a special nickel that will not be added to this pile.
[attachment 50509 Canadanickelspile.jpg]

This is a pile of some of my Canadian pennies that I have collected over the years. The oldest penny in this pile is dated 1920. There are a few new pennies in this pile that the young lady at the bank recently gave me.
[attachment 50510 Canadapennypile.jpg]

I also have many, many Canadian stamps that I have collected since childhood. There is just something about Canada that has always fascinated me. I have to laugh when I think about the time many, many years ago, on a hot, dry day down here in South Texas one August afternoon, I sat under a live oak tree dreaming about the cooler weather in Canada. I remember seeing a feral hog across the pasture eating some acorns and thinking that in Canada that would be a bear, not some common old feral hog.

Well, Debbie just told me that she is ready to go to the grocery store so I better bring this to a halt. I do not like going to this grocery store in the city, no one that I know shops there. At the old grocery store we knew the folks and I could sit out front and talk with friends while Debbie did the shopping...not now. Maybe she will get a Canadian coin with some change back from paying for the groceries. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

things that i did in reverse. I of course tried to collect American coins (the candy store killed that mostly:lol:) I always thought we should have wild pigs cause i like pork and nobody i know eats Bear meat:blink:
Thanks Fred:thumbup:

that pile of coins made me think of something i never see being done anymore.do remember men pitching coins against a wall to see who could get the closest?sometimes they would just pitch at a line drawn in the dirt.

my brother sacked groceries at the commissary on the air force base we lived at.they only got paid tips,the didn't get paid a wage.i remember walking by and would see him and the other teenagers pitching coins.

We would draw a line in the dirt and pitch nickels...the closes one to the line won all the nickels. Another game was two people flipping a nickel and calling "odd" or "same" with the winner getting the other's nickel. I also remember the games of marbles and the Yo-Yo tricks...walking the donkey and etc. Kids play games on the computer now. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

:canadaflag::thumbup:Fred nice collection of cannuck coins.E-mail me your address i'll send you some real keepers i found :detecting:.I think you whould appreciate them.You havent seen these before.It whould be my pleasure for you to add them to your collection. JIM :thumbup:

I think the problem is that we call it 'bear meat'..... Kinda like 'horse meat' [sorry Fred :) ] Deer is called venison, cow is called beef, pig is pork, sheep is mutton. If we were to eat cow meat, then there would probably be an exodus away from it. :)

Now what can we call bear meat???

Fair winds

M

Nickel was important to the war effort and as such, our 'nickels' we made of material other than nickel. There were only 8000 or so made in 1944 then the war demands were such that we shifted from the tombac to steel. The steel ones, if you find them are almost always in terrible condition.

Take care

fair winds, calm seas

M

This would be a good name because we would be lucky to be eating the bear rather than the bear eating us. :rofl: Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I am disappointed because it does not have a beaver on it, but rather has a "V" with a torch. I assume that this is the steel one that you made mention about? This reminds me of a U.S. Penny that I have that was made during the war, I think it is a 1943 penny, not sure. I have these coins in various cigar boxes that I have had for many years...the cigar boxes are probably worth something as collectors items because some of them are forty years old. We have been here over a year now and I still have not unpacked all the boxes. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 50536 Canadanickel1944steel.jpg]

[attachment 50537 Canadanickel1944front.jpg]

although not too bad in taste, there is just something i do not like about it. I seldom eat venison also, preferring Moose to all else, and nearly always that which i have taken care of myself. A dry Cow Elk is also very good.
My attitude toward venison mostly has to do with eating little else for a number of years in the 50's and 60's.....
Most of the hunters i knew would not say they preferred bear meat or even liked it much. To each their own :biggrin:

the number of people eaten by Bears is so tiny tho that it does not even compute when compared to death by lightning:)

......in very good condition may I add,it was a fairly high mintage of 11,532,784.I dug one up last Sunday,but too worn out.The 'V' idea coming from the U.S.Liberty nickels of 1883-1912.There is morse code on it that translates WE WIN WHEN WE WORK WILLINGLY.The designer was Thomas Shingles the chief engraver of the Royal Canadian mint.He cut the matrix entirely by hand. :) ojm

and they try to tell someone that there is a bear lurking behind almost every tree waiting to ambush and kill you! Naturally, being in South Texas, we only know what is written in those books. You read one of these books and even though you live in South Texas, you wait until the sun comes up before you walk to the driveway to get the newspaper or else you send the wife out to get it if it is still dark outside. Are you saying that there are not very many bear attacks every year up there in Canada? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

Anyway, Alice is doing very well, all things considered. She has stayed in Vancouver at her sisters, just in case anything goes awry. That way, if anything looks to be a problem, she is close to her doc. We figured 10 days to 2 weeks after the operation, just to be on the safe side. So, in talking to he a couple of hours ago, she figures Monday to Wednesday, she will be home.

But, she is walking [carefully] on the new knee, so it is now, all good.

Fair winds, sunny skies

M

n/t