Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Broken coil ears!

Mine broke off also. I took the two pieces, roughed them up a little with 100 grit Sandpaper. Mix up 2 parts of JB Weld. Mix thoroughly, apply, let cure for at least 24 hours, sand and your good to go. It will never break again. Keep hunting

Des D said:
...Q. was asked in March
We responded then and in April and now May, ......still waiting!!!

I that he "jumped ship". Looking at his recent postings, hes been in the DEUS forum since posting here.

Took almost 2 weeks to arrive. New ears dont look any different than old thicknest. I bet they will fail again.
I will try the nylon washers and keep my fingers crossed.

HH
Donna(NJ)

ML outsources not only manufacturing, but apparently mechanical design - to folks who do not metal detect but probably design nice toaster ovens. If ML history is any guide, no improvements will be made. Sad.

The coil ears look to be the same as the Etrac ones. I dont remember that being an issue with that coil.
I see they went back to the Sovs teardrop washers also.

lytle78 said:
ML outsources not only manufacturing, but apparently mechanical design - to folks who do not metal detect but probably design nice toaster ovens. If ML history is any guide, no improvements will be made. Sad.

I used to be a minelab guy, I can't stand them now because they are predatory and keep trying to open bogus lawsuits versus XP and other manufacturers. And the quality control since they closed the Irish manufacturing plant has gone to the dogs. I just don't recommend minelab machines anymore. They are not innovating and making cheaper and cheaper junk.

Would it be a good idea to add some epoxy to the base of the coil ears to possibly strengthen that area to keep it from cracking/breaking at that spot?

Zinc Penny said:
lytle78 said:

I used to be a minelab guy, I can't stand them now because they are predatory and keep trying to open bogus lawsuits versus XP and other manufacturers. And the quality control since they closed the Irish manufacturing plant has gone to the dogs. I just don't recommend minelab machines anymore. They are not innovating and making cheaper and cheaper junk.

No improvements??? What machine out there has made 'improvements'? Under that logic we would all be driving A-models! All tv's would still be black and white and they would have better knobs? Every year the auto manufacturers, TV makers, all appliances, every manufacturer in the world is making a new model and they DO NOT upgrade the old one! What do you want? Buy something and have it remade free for the next 50 years? Also, on the lawsuits, is a company supposed to just walk around with their heads up their rears and allow other manufacturers to take their intellectual product?

You wrote that...”every manufacturer in the world is making a new model and they DO NOT upgrade the old one!”

Where have you been?

ML sold high priced CTX detectors and made a big deal out of them being user upgradable - no upgrades.

Maybe they learned their lesson - the Equinox has had at least one upgrade.

Meanwhile they sued Xp because XP offered free Deus upgrades - the patent they sued under isn’t for system upgrade it’s for loadingjuser data into the detector, but XP, being a small company couldn’t afford the lawyers to fight the ML patent trolls, so they settled.

Funny world.

"You wrote that...”every manufacturer in the world is making a new model and they DO NOT upgrade the old one!”

Where have you been?

ML sold high priced CTX detectors and made a big deal out of them being user upgradable - no upgrades."

I have been in the real world! ML did upgrade the CTX!! And they did not 'promise upgrades', they merely said 'could be upgraded' and they did! The pin point and a couple of other features were altered slightly. They also came out with a new battery 'O' ring design.

As for "every manufacturer----", that is a absolute fact! Does Chevy call you and offer to upgrade the engine in your 2009 or other year vehicle when they cone out with a new engine? NO! You buy a product and it is YOURS and they only warrant it for a set period! THAT IS THE REAL WORLD!! No manufacturer will sell something that they will rebuild to a later model? Under that logic none would be in business!

As for the lawsuit, who was right? Who won? If you patent or copyright something, no other company can use it or they have to pay for it!

There most certainly WERE updates for the CTX....just not any recently.
(I don't care how many times someone repeats the lie that they didn't...it doesn't get any more true each time it's repeated.)

A couple updates were simply bug fixes (coil not found error), and the one in 2016 was the (admittedly embarrassing) Chinese language addition. WooHoo.
Another later one was a microcode update to allow use of a new/different micro-controller. (Not publicly announced by ML)

Again, none of those updates were 'functionality upgrades' in nature.

BUT, this early one was:
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/115754/ctx-3030-upgrade-brochure.pdf

Read the PDF and learn.

Hear's the upgrades that ML gave the CTX:
-Seawater Mode Setting
-Pinpoint Lock Option
-Improved USB protocol interface
-WM10 Low Battery alert
-Target Trace transitions improved
-Quicker language reset
-Low Battery Audio and Visual synchronized
-Geostore data deletion improvements
-Reset speed improvement
-Target ID Panel disabling implemented

Those look like real upgrades to me.

The only people who can continuously offer free updates for their units are Deus, and that's because they can continue to make money with their (expensive) 'new coils as an upgrade path' to existing controller users.
So far all the others have come out with a couple of early updates/fixes, then nothing. (That might even end up being true of the Equinox.)

And that's because...quite frankly...there's usually no money to be made working for free.

mike

And now back to the subject at hand;

I used to be a detector dealer, and over the decades I've seen every brand of detector have broken coil ears.
And almost every time is was the user applying excessive force to the edge of the coil...usually while leaning on the detector...like a cane...while getting up and/or down.

Sometimes, it was due to a fall, dropping the detector, or improper transportation/storage.
But, it's kind of amazing to see what people can do to a detector without even realizing it.

The bottom line is this;
It's not just EQ that gets broken ears...they all can...and do.
That's a LOT of leverage you can apply.

OTOH, admittedly, I would personally like to see much beefier ears on the EQ...especially if I were still a dealer.
(We lose money on warranty work.)
And that just looks like a lot of warranty claims. :(

I have been buying new & used detector parts recently from a well known distributor of metal detectors & I have seen crates full of nothing but coils with broken ears. it's a problem with a lot of detector makers but some a lot more than others & just to add never have I seen a broken coil ear on a older Fisher Los Banos, CA. coils