Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Broken coil ears!

Kapok

Having a really nice hunt, sun was shining, had just found a Rosie, and then this happened. Out of nowhere the coil ears snapped. I bought this detector last spring from someone here on Findmall and it's been very reliable and treated pretty well, never abused or handled roughly. What are the chances that Minelab is going to take care of me?

All EQX are still under factory warranty. Just call ML and setup an exchange.

Jason in Enid said:
All EQX are still under factory warranty. Just call ML and setup and exchange.
That’s great news!

Ive broken ...... the cuff and those ears. ML.... Jamie...... had mine coming back as soon as she got the broken one. Its got a 3 year warranty. Tell you what i do now ..... dont know why i hadnt done it with the coil i broke.......i put fat nylon washers that i shave the bottom on making them set flat on the coil so they dont move on both sides of those ears. We tend to crank down that bolt as those rubber wear...... bad habit as well as leaning when digging for balance .... least the water guys do. Im not keen on these new plastics sun and salt water and hard bumps and they can break. BUT...... i really like we have this warranty..... HUGE plus from ML this time around. Im glad they are thinking differently..... because the Xcal has a LAWN MOWER warranty.

Upon careful consideration I do realize the Equinox is a very powerful machine; however, with the reports of the shaft 'wobble', the ears breaking, and the arm rest issues, I will wait for the next model this year, or a newer model. It is a wonderful machine. The price is still more than I could allow myself to spend with the shaft 'wobble' ears breaking, arm rest issue. It is what it is!

There is always going to be something on a machine that breaks. Im not a fan of the material the ears are made of........ Steve this would be a good project later down the road after warranties run out....... sand the ears down and maybe PRINT a bracket or even heavy LEXAN that can be epoxied on. This new plastic i see getting brittle over time...... especially for us salt water users. As a water hunter i just see the shaft as a travel shaft...... put it up in the salt aluminum blisters and the cuff wont handle the constant torque back and forth..... i dont like the locks......and you really need to drill thru and add a double spring clip to keep it from moving. What did i do with the Xcal..... bought another shaft.

[size=medium]There is a repair option that is available on another forum's classified section sticky. I've used one in the past to fix broken ears on an X-Terra several years ago. And the price is reasonable. I won't post it here out of respect for this forum owner. PM me for a link...[/size]

I posted this before, but this was my solution to strengthening the ears. Nylon washers as tough as nails added to the ears. So far so good. Had to file the washer a little but they fit perfectly. A little ounce of prevention for under 1$

I must be missing something as I am not understanding how the nylon washers would solve the issue. The molded joint between the coil and ear would have the same torsional stress whether there is a washer or not. The quick response by everyone is it is under warranty, well what about when the warranty is over..... it then becomes an expensive failure. So far my coil (knocking on wood) is fine but I have had 2 of the aluminum OEM shaft locks and one cuff fail, so I went with aftermarket which solved that problem....coil is a different story. Is there a way of repairing coil ears or is it a full replacement issue?

Hotrod65 said:
I must be missing something as I am not understanding how the nylon washers would solve the issue. The molded joint between the coil and ear would have the same torsional stress whether there is a washer or not. (clip)

The flat part of the washer sitting on the coil top will add extra support and take some of the stress off the ears making them more resistant to breaking.
Ideally ... the washer would be a very tight fit between the coil top and the bolt to be the most effective.

Hotrod65 said:
I must be missing something as I am not understanding how the nylon washers would solve the issue. The molded joint between the coil and ear would have the same torsional stress whether there is a washer or not. The quick response by everyone is it is under warranty, well what about when the warranty is over..... it then becomes an expensive failure. So far my coil (knocking on wood) is fine but I have had 2 of the aluminum OEM shaft locks and one cuff fail, so I went with aftermarket which solved that problem....coil is a different story. Is there a way of repairing coil ears or is it a full replacement issue?

Hotrod65 You have posed a very good question. One that certainly deserves an answer. "The quick response by everyone is it is under warranty, well what about when the warranty is over..... it then becomes an expensive failure."

Indisputably, any prudent person would consider that!

1.) Does it become disposable?

My first thought when I was putting my Equinox together was ....Those coil ears sure look cheap.

When it is out of warranty most of us will either be on to a new detector. Either that or we will just buy a new coil. The choices are limited.

I posted this before, but this was my solution to strengthening the ears. Nylon washers as tough as nails added to the ears. So far so good. Had to file the washer a little but they fit perfectly. A little ounce of prevention for under 1$

Hi there okara gold, would be interested to know where you got the washers to beef up your NOX coil ears. I'd like to do the same, but can't find them in my area or on line. I believe they are 1&1/4 od & 21/64 Id. If metric 32mm od, 8mm Id. Thank you

You can find nylon washers at almost any hardware store ..

also, when your getting up after finding your tresure DO NOT use the Nox for a cane to get up. if you do and that coil is not flat on the ground and if you wiggle that shaft you will break those ears.

Just take your coil bolt to the big box hardware store and match it up. One (out of three) truevalue store around here has an awesome selection of odd ball fasteners.