Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:biggrin:Things that go bump in the cold night ................part 3 finale...........

The coldest I have ever been in was back in 68. We did a winter survival hike/campout up in the islands of Northern VT. Supposedly, the temp hit -51, we didn't have a thermometer nor did I care to find one:laugh:. All I know was if ya spit, it froze before it got to the ground. Oddly enough, no one in the group had any indication of frostbite except for faces and I think that was from the wind. We dug into the snowdrifts and made impromptu igloos.

I imagine those elk were a sweet reward for the hardship. Thanks for the good huntin story! Doncha wish you were still doin it?

Dave

i wish i was still ABLE to get out in the wilderness. Just for the experience itself and the camaraderie.
Since you have experienced and survived 50 below conditions, you know that there is a fine line between adventure and disaster! People unprepared are gambling their lives against the "house"!

where the weather, as you know, can be 180* different at the summit than at the base. I was coming down one day and met a guy hiking up in street clothes and loafers. I was on a snowmobile and dressed for 40 below. I made him give me all of his personal info before I let him continue. When he asked why, I replied, "so when I have to come back and drag your dead a$$ off this hill, I'll know who to contact to come claim the body!":shrug:

...that's a hunt that probably never would have happened with me. I mean, after the tree on the camper etc., etc., I woulda called my buddy and said "too bad, buddy. Another time." Then I would have parked my truck back on my side of the drive way, unloaded the horses and went back to bed!!!

40 below means that John stays out of the woods--no doubt! But I learned something. Tarping the Powerwagon and placing the coleman under it is a great trick. But, down here, we don't have to plug in anything except the electric blanket. :lol:

Great story. I gotta go warm up a bit.

aj

like changing the thermostat in the vehicle every fall, changing to lighter oil, checking or replacing antifreeze, buying new expensive snow tires on all four corners, buying many gallons of windshield washer antifreeze, removing cat burgers from around the fan housing after they jump from the warm engine block when you fire er up, letting the vehicle run for half an hour (IF you get it started) so you can see through the windshield.......all that fun stuff and more:lol:

That had to be a rough dang night!! The coldest I can remember ever experiencing is 22 below and that was just miserable but what you gonna do? Stay in and don't eat!

You sure have lots of interesting adventures Wayne!! I envy you your memories!

snowmobile suits. It was just nasty to do anything, fingers and noses froze quick!
We all had our share of interesting times, yours were just as interesting and often more so! I am just yappier about it:biggrin: