Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:biggrin:Things that go bump in the cold night ................part 3 finale...........

Wayne in BC

As i mentioned we planned to go back in a week for a late cow Elk hunt. As my luck went, two days before we left, a surprise blizzard and 4 ft drifts caused me to be pulling a neighbor's car out of the ditch on his long driveway. No problem, hook up the good ol' stretchy nylon tow cable, get a run and......crack! twang! Hook broke and cable ate my radio antenna!

Pizz on this, use the winch! Hook er up and slide on the ice, car aint moving but truck is cause i got no anchor. Get out the chain and extra winch cable, hook up to a handy cottonwood which his driveway was lined with. Now we got performance Car comes out slick as a nursemaids tit but is roaring some with no muffler, seems it was hung on a rock in the snow, telling us why it was tough to move Neighbor, good guy but did not belong in the country, right away steps on the gas to loosen up the cable and sideways back into the ditch

With a sigh i hit winch button again and as the car comes up on the road he is waving frantically through the windshield and i am :confused: when a hell of a CRASH! happens and the truck shakes, hard! Stunned i get out and look at the 8 inch x 20 ft tree branch that had come from 50 ft up and flattened my camper, luckily the middle part and missed the cab, camper was 2 ft lower in the middle and the windows were busted, frame and all. Neighbor is suitably sorry but i tell him that i was stupid to forget about BAM trees getting top rot and not liking to be rattled :rolleyes:

Too busy and no time to rebuild the camper so plan b, that being, since we would take a couple horses, a few extra bales of straw in the closed horsetrailer would make a fine bed, them old ponies are used to the cold anyway and would have hot feed, ground oats and barley with molasses along with their hay.
We left friday night, early this time, and pulled in to the gas station at Nordegg town about 9 pm, got out to gas up and heard.......sssssssssssss!
A tire on the horse trailer (single axle) was about flat! Didya ever get in such a hurry that you jacked up a horsetrailer with them still in it! Well it was nice and level pavement and they were quiet horses :shrug: it worked and we were off to travel 30 miles of icy backroads to our chosen spot near the Brazeau river.

The temp was 24 below at Nordegg and dropping the radio said, to 30 below, it was several degrees colder down in the river valley it seemed and we set the alarm clock to start the truck every two hours. We were nuts in those days for sure! A couple tarps off the side of the trailer and to trees made a barn for the horses and our snowmobile suits kept us going until we could light the coleman in the trailer and heat some water for hot rums. Seems we outsmarted ourselves cause there seemed no way to ride around on a horse at 30+ below!

I had brought my Brittaney spaniel Susie along as i often did and she crawled to the bottom of the downfilled sleeping bag as soon as i opened it, she was smarter than the average girlie dog ;) The oat straw made a comfy bed and at 11 pm we turned in, quite warm actually. The alarm went off and Cliff got up to start the truck, muttering and shivering, when he came back in he said it was tough starting so we let it run, setting the clock for an hour then changing our minds, hell it could run all night, we had lots of gas. 1:30 am and Cliff nudged me awake, i heard the truck still running and also smelled it! Cripes! There was not a lot of exhaust coming in but any was too much, dumbasses! I got up and shut it down. Thats why they find bodies!
Back into the sleeping bag, steel walls of the horsetrailer sparkling with frost, and Cliff sez, i would kinda like to borrow your dog for a while.....i sez, you damn pervert! NO! My feet are freezing! Getcher own dog i sez. :biggrin:

The bags were 5 star Arctic but it was some cold in there! We piled some more straw on us and forgot about the truck.
6 am we wake up and i stay mostly in the sleeping bag while i light the coleman. We made coffee and breakfast and i suited up to go out and feed the horses as they nickered plaintively. They were fine in their shelter and bed of straw but it was bonecracking cccold! I knew it had to be 40 below!
I also knew, as did Cliff, that the truck would not start. It was good that way and would always start without being plugged in at about 30 below and i always had a can of ether along, this was way colder and i tried it anyway.....errumm eruuhh-click!

Not a dangerous problem but a pain in the azz, i would have to tarp her and put the coleman stove under the oil pan. 4x4 powerwagon was high up so it had lots of room. 15 minutes and steam is rolling out, vroom! We are good to go, but where i dunno. Then i heard a couple chirps and a tweet. Elk! Yep the cows chirp and squawk like birds. A herd of 20 or so was just across the meadow pawing and eating. We were going home soon! 200 yards, the 7mm and the 06 spoke together, two down! We didnt deserve such luck but took it!

Hard work for a couple hours, working with blood sodden gloves or freeze the hands, but drove the truck up next to the Elk. By noon the truck was full of prime Elk, covered with a tarp and straw and hay bales. We headed home. We stopped for coffee in Nordegg and the owner said it was 41 below at 6 am, and now only -36. He reckoned it was at least 5 degrees colder in the valley where we were. He seemed kinda jealous of our Elk or sumpthin too.

Now this is the God honest truth, when we got home and squared around, all full of brag and a couple drinks, i was looking at the regulations cause a friend who came over had asked when the last season was. To my horror i saw that the Cow Elk season in the zone we were in did not open till monday coming!.... EEEE! ......We had drove proudly and openly home with two illegal Elk in the truck!! Would have got busted if we had been stopped cause i would not have been smart enough to say we got them 20 miles north of where we did, where it was open!
Good thing i was lucky cause that would have been the end of my outfitting license........

and really have no desire to either...I like warm weather. :rofl: So you folks shot the Elk out of season? Thank goodness you did not get caught and lose your licence...it was probably too cold for the game wardens to be out checking on folks. :rofl: Good story, I enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Man........ya gotta enjoy the hunt to endure that kind of weather. Never tasted Elk but I'm bettin' it's yummy. Either that or you and Cliff are just plain crazy ! You have lived an interesting life !! :clapping:

As usual. Wayne, some of your adventures remind me so much of the things I did myself in days gone by. I can't tell you how many times I have took off on hunting or fishing trips determined to go come hell or high water! I have spent a few nights in the woods due to truck breakdowns,hang ups in mud and even running out of gas! I remember once many years ago a friend and me took off on a fishing/camping trip with no money,no food,and only enough gas to get us there-we would figure out how to get home when the time came.We spent 3 days and nights drinking whiskey (we had a choice between buying food or whiskey-we chose the whiskey!) eating half raw fish,and having the time of our lives.On the way home we ran out of gas and traded our fishing equipment to a farmer for enough to get home on! Well,at least it wasn't 40 below and we didn't have to deal with any bears! Thanks again for a great story.

Another good story Wayne.... Came close, but have not quite hunted out of season.... well actually I have,./.... but I did not get anything so I was okay..

Gotta learn to read those regs better!! :)

calm seas

Mikie

and i know you would have been right in there.......when we were young, just like the rest here:biggrin:

and known a lot of my friends on this forum when we were all having adventures like this. You did good on these continued stories, as always! :)

i always said, give me the Ford ride, Chevy body/interior and Dodge power train! Now that would be a truck!:biggrin:

Sounds like you guys had some great times back then. The fact you can laugh about them now, says they turned out ok. Your storys remind me of a lot of things. One was the downed Elk in cold temps. Up in NH there is a ledge there and here is kind of the story that went with it.... "Boise Rock: This huge rock is located on the east side of I-93, also in Franconia Notch State Park. The legend goes that Thomas Boise of Woodstock, while traveling through the Notch, was caught by a fierce snowstorm. Seeing this large boulder with its sheltering ledge, he killed his horse, wrapped himself in its hide, and wedged himself in the rock. He was found alive the following day by a search party who had to cut the frozen horse hide off him." The will to survive kicks in when it has to.

Your limb story on your camper reminded me of the first time I brought my Cat D-4 home. I had never really ran one in the woods, just on job sites that were dirt with not much else around. the operating engineers would let us mess around with them if we were waiting on steel etc.

Anyhow, I brought mine home and was putting a road in up here at the time for a camp in the back 40. No road, so haw tricky can it be to make one. I would soon find out. There is a lot of glacial rock here all over and I had picked a bad spot to push my road thru..
So in I go climbing over rocks, until I was up on a big one. All of a sudden I passed the balance point the the front of the dozer dove almost straight down and dove until it hit bottom. Intant stop, except for me, mined took a few more seconds as my face ate the beatiful Air cleaner sitting right in front of me. Hmmmm, Mark that in my list of things not to do. but hey, why stop now, so I crawled off it and continued on....a few more of those and I learned to ease over them...At last I'm in some niceswamp maples trees about 8 to 10 inches in diameter, perhaps less. I was pushing them over no problem but decided to back up and make it wider....No one here,, just back up.....and I did.....What ever got me to look backwards I'm not sure but as I did I see I had a tree bent in a complete U and was moving my way. I ducked just in time as it sprung forward and cleaned off that Air clearner I aliked so much and they exhaust pipe a little further ahead. Jeeeze, this road build stuff is dangerous.... And so it went with that tool. I've had a lot of incedents with that unit...fortunately I survived them all.....Like you I can laugh now but they got my attention at the time. Not long after that I was going to dose in my first pond. this old timer told me if the brook has trees in it it has bottom just marh right in there. OK, its mid summer, pretty dry, sounds reasonable to me....Wrong again....... I went in and up the brook about 200 feet, and it felt a little spongy, but hey, there are trees all around me I have not cut down yet. So up I go again for the second pass, man this will be easy and with these big wide grousers for treads I'll have ducks in this by night fall. Wrong again....
I went up for the second pass it the stuff got sticker, sticky enough to load up the tracks pretty good but I WAS still moving. Wrong again... I hit something down there and we stopped or the D-4 did. I kept palying with it and in short order I was level withthe top of the tracks...... Now this could be a problem. I walked up to the camper we had here then and mentioned it to Jane. HOws the pond coming was her question. I then explained my problem but told her no to worry, its summer, its pretty dry, just muddy and I'll get it out. she says, you better do it fast as they are saying torrencial rain tonight from thunder storms....... All I could vision, is my Yellow Submarine under water with just the stack visiable..... I went back and try as I could no way out. I called the neighbor and he would run his big rig over for $300 bucks so I decided agains that.... I must of looked at it for 2 hours when it dawned on me, that maypbe I could get it out. One of the big oaks I had left there was still standing. So I grabbed a bunch of my logging chains and hooked one end into the tracks and walked the other end back to the oak tree base. got back in and fired it in and by wrapping the chain on to the track I was able to walk it back quite away, then unhook it, then hooked another one on other side, and by dush I was out..... It is a duck pond now, but only because of my backhoe..... Crazy stuff happends but you usually figure a way out, especially if you have no other choices. I've hung that D-4 up on a lot of stuff over the years. Its still here. My wife used to love to run it. she really got into knocking trees over with it with the blade up high. Had to stop here or this place would have been a desert..... Its and old rig. the old start the gas pony engine, let it warm the block up, then engine the diesel until it fires off.... Great winter rig. I've dosed myself out of here a few times when there was just to much snow.... As long as the track sprokets don't ice up and throw at track...

Anyhow thanks for the great story....I enjoyed it and jogged a few memories of my own.....

Geo-CT

i had so much fun with my buddy's Bobcat but i could do sooo much with that bigger kitty. Probably trash myself tho:blink::lol: