Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big, nasty, mean tempered snake on the road...................

Kelley (Texas)

A few weeks ago I decided to ride some of the farm to Market roads up in the Hill Country of Texas...I felt like I had enough experience to venture out into the country side and was growing tired of riding the neighborhood streets and local city streets. I arose that beautiful morning, ate a light breakfast, and filled up the bike with my lawn mower gas. As I rolled the bike out of the garage, I noticed that Cindy, the good looking school teacher was already out in her yard getting ready to cut the grass. I thought to myself, what is she doing out this early? Cindy looks more like a model than a school teacher...I never had a teacher that looked like her. Sorry, let me get back to the story. Anyway, I cranked the bike and headed out....I was free as a bird!

It wasn't long and I was riding some winding roads with some difficult turns for someone with my limited experience. I was beginning to realize that maybe I was not ready for this type of riding yet...guarantee you one thing, I sure wasn't going to tell Debbie about this. I entered one extremely sharp curve, sign said 15 mph...I almost went off the road. This was not good, thank goodness there was no traffic and no one saw me riding so bad. Folks, I realized that I was in over my head and I was not ready for this type of riding yet...I decided to head back home and make some plans for more practice sessions up at the large parking lot at the local school.

As I started to head home, I was approaching another sharp curve, sign again said 15 mph. As I was slowing down I saw something stretched out on the road...I was thinking surely that could not be...it was. Stretched out on the road before me was one of the largest snakes that I had seen for a long time. I do not know what it was, maybe a Corn Snake, but not sure. He was just stretched out, not moving. I came to a fast stop about thirty feet from that snake, debating what to do next. He was in my lane, but his head was pointing to the other lane...this was not good! A thousand thoughts went through my pea brain...should I just run over him? Try to pass by him in the other lane? I thought for a minute or two, if I run over him, he might swing back and bite me...if I tried to pass him, he might reach out and bite me. I noticed that he had not moved while I was trying to figure out what to do and I thought that maybe he was dead. I decided to turn off the motor and dismount from the bike, get a rock and throw it at that snake...I figured if he did not move that he was dead, but if he was alive he would go the rest of the way across the road and everyone would be happy. I picked up a rock and threw it towards that snake. I found out rather quickly that the snake was not dead, he moved but did not move very far. I picked up another rock and threw it towards the snake...big mistake! Oh! That snake took off like a rocket, not towards the other side of the road, but towards me and my bike. I ran back about 15 feet and noticed that he had stopped. He had stopped about four feet from my bike...this was not looking good for me. My bike was parked in the road with that snake about four feet from it. Not wanting to hit my bike with a rock, I decided to roll a rock towards that snake and see if he would go away. I rolled the rock and all that did was make that snake pizzed off more at me. This time he coiled up and it was evident to me that he was determined that he was going to make life miserable for me. That nasty looking, mean tempered snake was in a foul mood and I really did not know what to do.

I must have stood there thirty minutes when I heard a car or truck coming...I was thinking great, my bike is in the road and I hope they see it when they round that curve. It was a pickup truck with a farmer and his wife, and thank goodness they saw me and the bike. They stopped and they asked me if I needed help. I pointed to the snake and told them what had happened. They started laughing, but I really did not think any of this was very funny. As we were talking, the snake slowly uncoiled and then slowly crossed the road and went into the brush. I guess it may have thought that the truck would run over it or thought that the odds were no longer in it's favor, but it really did not matter because it was gone. As I was mounting the bike, the farmer and his wife slowly went around me...I could hear them laughing. I started the bike and as I let out on the clutch I saw something across the road, just at the edge of the pavement...it was the tail of that snake! I slowly turned the handlebars, then let out on the clutch while giving the bike the gas, heading full speed for that tail that was still on the pavement. I must have missed it by inches, and when I looked back it was gone. I will tell you one thing, I will never ride on that Farm to Market road again. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

almost ran over a copperhead the other day,well,maybe it was two weeks ago.i don't see them very often,he must of been about 2 and a half feet long.i could have nailed him but i don't like to kill'em just because.man,been seeing lots of turtles trying to cross the hiways lately,they usually do this in the spring,guess the wet summer has them baffled:).

we made have had some "lookers" as teachers,but didn't realize how good looking,they were,as kids. Remember we were more interested in the bell to ring! or playing cowboys,good/bad, throwing rocks,or rowing boats. I do remember most teachers,when asked how old they are,would reply "old as Dinosaurs!", and now that i think of it, to most, that was a complement!! We were just to young to realize it! :bouncy:

To most boys, school kept them from doing the good things in life...making tree houses, fishing, riding horses, and all the other "good" things that boys liked to do. :rofl: Ron, I sorta think that Cindy is "trouble" for the husbands around here...you best not get caught looking in her direction when she is cutting the grass while wearing the short shorts and halter top if you don't want to get into trouble with your wife. :rofl: Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I view snakes as lizzards without legs, but bigger and with teeth. I have found that it is best to just leave them alone and not mess with them unless you have to because they pose a danger to you. The snake that I encountered should have been out in the brush chasing mice, not sleeping on a public road and then getting pizzed because I wanted it to move. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[size=x-large]BIG[/size] nasty snake whompin stick with you :rofl: Glad ya made out OK!

bad azz, horse breakin' , spittin' cowboy!! :rofl: Perhap you should trade this bike in for one with an automatic transmission! :shrug:

Bears [funny thing.. I saw one in the middle of town a couple of days back], cougars, moose, etc...but big snakes... nope. I guess we can count ourselves lucky!!

Fair winds

Mikie

I have put a lot of time into learning to ride and I can now ride those curves pretty good as per se. It has not come as easy to me as I originally figured it would, but I am now riding the back roads with confidence and no mishaps yet. One evening just after the sun went down, I was hauling azz home when I almost hit a skunk crossing the road, his tail went up, but thank goodness he missed me when he sprayed. While this motorcycle is fun to ride and it gives me my freedom back, I still miss my horses. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Fred you will get comfortable on that big cycle so soon it will pleasantly surprise you. The worst thing i had to deal with was lots of grasshoppers, at 60 mph they are a riders nightmare!:wacko:

I think you were smart in taking some lessons instead of trying to teach yourself! Have you found you a Stetson helmet yet?? :)

think it would be a snake, though. Usually they are afraid of us, and I don't know if I can out run a bear! :)

"Biker" he had to rescue from a snake. You might be a hearing about it at the feed store soon. They will probably think it was some northern visitor though.

I was thinking about what you should do. Maybe get a stick on patch for your shirt or jacket from some northern college. Then when the fellow Texans see you having trouble learning to ride they will just think it is a silly Northerner and not a Texican.

Another thing you might consider doing, if and only if you do put the Ohio State patch on your jacket is get some training wheels. I don't know if they make them but a big bike like that but I am sure you can go to a local fabrication shop and they could make some for you. Be sure you tell them that they are for your cousin that was gonna be a visiting from Toledo.

It looks like you are having fun but be careful.

like the type that you have and she loves it...that thing will go up to 75 mph. Aunt Lahoma and Janie are always teasing me too...said that I need to get a scooter like Janie's or put training wheels on my bike. :rofl: Debbie is still upset with me and kinda lets me know that she wish that I would get rid of the thing, says that I am going to end up getting hurt riding it. All that I can say is that it feels good to have some freedom! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

very seriously on a horse too. I try to stay out of heavy traffic. I don't worry about it when I am in it but avoid it for common sense reasons. Big bike or small scooter, you are just as busted up if you make a mistake. I had a friend that got killed on a motorcycle a few years ago. He was driving only about 25 mph in town and it was a one person accident. Just bad luck.

Don't do anything stupid on them and you will be ok. Traveling through Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Jacksons Hole, Rocky Mountain National Park, the Badlands and many other spots out west on my scooter was something I will never forget.

Just don't forget! Cars can not see you and you have to believe that every time you go out. Do not ever assume that they can. Always assume they can not.

But not me or you Fred. I likely would've thrown him the keys and walked home myself. Tell us more about Cindy. :lol: