Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best coinshooting machine

dlkamp

Ok, guys I need your opinions on what you think is the best Tesoro coinshooting machine out there. Be biased and all that good stuff and let me know what you really think. I personally have only owned one Tesoro machine and that is the Silver U-Max and it is a really good machine, but I am looking to upgrade to a better overall machine. Let me know how good of depth you guys have been attaining with your machines on silver coins etc. Thanks for all the feedback!

I won't make the claim that it is the best, but it works well for me.... Golden uMAX It was a coin finding son of a gun today. Can swing it all day and for coins, just listen for the high tone! I really like it for coin shooting.... Good luck.... HH TonyTX

Golden%20MMax%20Angled%20View_New.jpg

I agree with Tony 100%. The Golden is a real "gem." I have a lot of detectors - guess which one I reach for most often.... The Golden.
The other Tesoro coin machine I would consider is the Cortez.

I have owned six diffrernt nmodels of Tesoro's, but never a Golden.

I don't look for coins per say. But I don't pass them up.

If I wanted a Tesoro to hunt coins with, I think I would buy the Golden.

And then for the TID, I might concider ths Cortez.

In my openion, the Silver works well as a coin shooter.

But the Golden has more going for it.

HH,

Yep, to answer your question, the Golden, positively!
Light weight, super accurate discrimination, 4-tone ID
and great coil selection. The DeLeon would be my
other choice.
..W

Man you guys really shed some new light on the coin shooting. That machine I guess I never even thought about. I always thought golden meant it was more used for prospecting gold etc. I will take some time and read some reviews and go from there. Thanks again for the feedback.

It's listed as a coin machine on the Tesoro website...

Here's a couple of pics of mine (don't pay any attention to the person holding the Golden!)
I'm glad I picked up this detector.... HH TonyTX

Tony, I noticed in the picture it looks like the Golden has the 4" coil attached. How do you like that? I like mine a lot when the conditions warrant. Took me a while to get over feeling silly while swinging it, however. Actually found my oldest find to date using the 4". An 1860 presidential campaign token marked Herschel V. Johnson 1860 on one side, and Steven A. Douglas 1860 on the other.
HH
BB

didn't I see that guy on a wanted poster in the post office? Just kidding!!!
I hope my Golden returns before too long. I'm really looking forward to getting reacquainted with it. We had such as short time together.
Pap

Ok guys now ya did it. I was very seriously considering buying a Golden uMax but I received a few emails and or pm's stating that I would not like the Golden, they told me that the tones would drive me nuts & it isn't a very deep detector. So I bought a Vaquero instead. I haven't had a chance to use it yet because of winter weather. I am a coin/jewelry only hunter on tot lots and school grounds never any beach hunting. Now after all the positive replies on the Golden I kind of wish that I would of got one. Guess I could always sell my Vaquero or trade it, I even bought a new 5.75 concentric coil for it. Steve.

BTW I think I saw a picture of that fella at our post office also, lol.

[quote BarberBill]Tony, I noticed in the picture it looks like the Golden has the 4" coil attached. How do you like that? I like mine a lot when the conditions warrant. Took me a while to get over feeling silly while swinging it, however. Actually found my oldest find to date using the 4". An 1860 presidential campaign token marked Herschel V. Johnson 1860 on one side, and Steven A. Douglas 1860 on the other.
HH
BB[/quote]

Hi BarberBill... I had just received the coil and that was my first hunt with it. I did a good job separating out targets in the trashy area I was hunting in. It gave good strong signals on coins. Most of the targets were shallow but I did get a few at around three inches. I'm sure the small size compromises depth but for the really trashy areas, this coil will come in handy. I usually leave the 5.75 on it and occasionally I'll use the 9X8 when I need the added depth. It seemed to me that the variable notch setting changed a bit with the smaller coil but I think that is to be expected. I know these things look like toys (so I've been told) but I'm just about sold on the uMAX Tesoro's. They are surprisingly sturdy and well made I've discovered. I will be heading to the Killeen treasure show this next weekend and I'm going to look for a detector bag for this one and a another lower shaft for each of the coils is an easy change out. That token is a very nice find with the 4" coil! :clapping: Man I wished I could find something like that. I'm glad I was able to pick up the Golden from my hunting buddy, Big Cat Daddy. HH TonyTX :)

I think he is wanted for impersonating a detectorist!!! :clapping: I hope you get it back soon! thanks... TonyTX :)

That Vaquero will be one nice detector so don't get rid of it! I'd like one myself. Some folks don't like tone ID's but I really like it. I don't think the Golden will go as deep as the Vaquero though. However, the Golden should go as deep as any of the uMAX detectors though. With a good set of phones and the notch set correctly, the Golden is a formidable coin machine... Let us know how you do with that Vaquero, it's a good detector... HH TonyTX :)

Don't fret Steve,

If Dlkamp had said anything about jewelry, I would not have recommended Golden so highly.

In my opinion, notching is just a way to reduce your jewelry finds.

So, without notching you only get a multi tone Tesoro.

Multi tone only helps finding coins, mostly. Other wise it is just another way to ignore jewelry.

Now, multi tone can not match the descriptive responses of a single tone Tesoro.

You would be giving up the extra power and also the adaptability of manual ground balancing.

The V is truly a sweet machine that has no problem finding coins for a good detectorist like yourself.

Those are the reasons I never got a Golden. But I must admit, I have been tempted by the Golden.

I would think long and hard before I got rid of a Vaquero.

HH,

Thanks guys, that makes me relieved. I imagine if I would of bought the Golden there would be people raving about the Vaquero and I would of wished I bought a Vaquero instead. Either way both good detectors as all Tesoro's are. I just have to get out and hunt, dog gone winter weather go away Steve wants to play. Thanks! Steve.

[quote SkiWhiz]Thanks guys, that makes me relieved. I imagine if I would of bought the Golden there would be people raving about the Vaquero and I would of wished I bought a Vaquero instead. Either way both good detectors as all Tesoro's are. I just have to get out and hunt, dog gone winter weather go away Steve wants to play. Thanks! Steve.[/quote]

You will be digging plenty of good stuff with the Vaquero! I'm sure I'll be picking one up at some point. I can tell you are ready to get out and start swinging that new detector... :detecting: Hopefully the snow will melt before you know it and you will be posting some of the great finds on the forum!! Take it easy and I hope you can get out soon...
HH TonyTX :)

This past week my new V finally got it's first real trial. I took a quick trip to California where my brother and I detected an old home site that we had never detected before. I was using my new V and my brother was using my MXT. He recently sold his DFX so I let him use my MXT. Anyway... At one point I got a signal that I could practically feel through my hand. It was strong and totally unbroken. I asked my brother to run the MXT over the same spot. Alas...The MXT was undecided. I dug it anyway and at a measured 8" out popped an IH penny!!! I'm cleaning it right now as it's in pretty bad shape or I would post it. My new V is here to stay.:tesoro:

Opinions are like noses - everyone has one. Those who contact other's in private, unsolicited, to voice their opinions must be mindful of that. Those who read these opinions should wonder why the other felt thay had to do so - and be mindful as well.

I own a BOTH a Golden and a Vaquero, and whoever told you the Golden will not go deep should be swoggled. I found a quarter last season with it at a measured 11". It gave a sweet, clear high tone the whole way.

And yes, it has SIX tones for you to monitor. But like all things, if you persist you will find these tones purposeful and invaluable. There is one place I cannot hunt without them and the notching circuit working together, as they are so precise. Other detectors, including the V, can only wish to produce in that spot.

Digging, on the other hand, is discretionary. YOU decide to dig a target, or not. No detector, even the "magic" Vaquero, can make you bend the knee and work. You will find that jewelry items are far and few between and you will dig a lot of everything else before you find them. If you are a 'beep and dig' type, then you possess a good detector for that style. If you like a little more, but not too much more, you wont have it, now.

You makes your choices, you pays your money. DO the best you can and dig everything. That's what I do regardless of which detector I swing. Good luck and happy hunting, my friend.

Hey Dikamp thanks for starting this post. I have found it a very interesting read. I just got my Vaquero this past Friday (3/2:geek:. I tend to be a coinshooter for the most part. I have only been MD'n since 08/07 with a Minelab X-Terra 70. It is a fantastic coin machine, and also finds me some good "Silver" jewelery. My main reason to get the Vaquero was for a different style machine,

I have only used it one time so far. I spent 3 hours in one tot lot. I found a fair number of jewelery and 2 nickles, (along with some other clad and stuff). The reason I mention the nickles? With my X-70 I have never found more than 1 nickle on any hunt. I was ignoring those signals wich means possibe gold jewelery? Any how I really enjoyed my 1st V trip, Beale.

Fisher ran an article in one of their magazines some years back. In it they showed that nearly all gold rings come in somewhere between nickel and screwcap. The majority fall near the bottom of this range, often right on nickle. Thus, if you are missing nickels, then you are missing any gold rings that might be there.

But rings are easy. They normally present a single turn inductive loop to a detectors field and so respond readily to detection. Filigree and chains are really the great unknowns. Most jewelry, such as pendants, pins and so on, have far more surface area to detect by comparison. But with chains and filigree jewelry, there is little surface area unless they are bunched up. For this reason, they scatter the signal from your detector and so most often fall into the range associated with foil. Thus, they are easily missed by all but the most ardent detectorist. They almost always present a broken response to a detector when made of gold, while silver chain and filigree respond a little better.

What this means is that you must accept the range of DISC from just above iron all the way to screwcaps if you want to nab jewelry. Fortnately Tesoro opens that range up with their ED-120 and ED-180 discrimnation circuits. Copper, silver and iron are the easy detectables as they fall at the end. It is the vast midrange that contains the many