Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Battery Question-Your opinions.

candycane

Non-Rechargeable,What brand name do you use....

I hate to say it but I have been having problems with the Energizers leaking and still have between 75-90% of its charge.
Had a Friend that had a MXT 2 years ago and they leaked for him so I tested them and they showed good, but 2 of them were leaking. He got ahold of Energizer and they had him send in the detector to them plus the batteries and they cleaned it up a bit and gave him a new set plus a $10 coupon for more.
Now this year I had a set leak in a new X-Terra 305 I had and they had less than 2 hours on them and when I sold it it was said to have 1 or 2 batteries that had leaked and caused corrosion, so I got it back and sure enough 2 batteries were leaking and they showed a good charge in them. I replaced the detector for the guy and had to repair the battery box on the one I sold.
I checked out all the items I have them in as I bought a 24 pack and seen 2 more that were bad in my grandson remote airplane so I have no faith in the Energizer batteries anymore.

Thanks for that info Rick.--I'm not going to be buying any more Energizers then, it's just not worth the risk.----Have you noted any of those problems in the 9 v's or has it just been the penlights?-------Del

I have had the best results with Duracell. (coppertop) Never have they leaked and I can get several more hours out of them then I can with other brands. In truth, if I let them run completly out, I can get 70 plus hours out of a set with my F 75. HH jim tn

I prefer Ray-o-vac. Very reasonable price, especially in quantity. Watch home stores (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) ads for specials. Never had a leaker.

T-Energy has some good ones. It's the old saying for the most part. You can't get something for nothing..that's worth a hoot. I recently got Sanyo Eneloop. A little more expensive but won't present the air discharge factor when not being used. For that type battery (RTU ready to use) it should retain 80% of it's capacity sitting on a shelf for a year. A 'regular' NiMH won't do that. Jim

Duracell after the wife brought them home instead of the rabbit,now I don't leave home without them.

If lasting time is the issue, buy Lithium batteries. Otherwise, I get my Copper Tops at "Costco" ,but only those, I've had problems with the house brand. And ALWAYS use headphones. They'll double the longevity, or more. I usually put tape over the contacts of a spare pair and keep them in a pocket on my trash bag. Never let 'em run 'till they die. Change often. Low voltage devices (solid state) don't like low voltage. Fresh batteries mean more finds. :thumbup:

I've had excellent luck with the Ray O Vac alkalines. Good price at the local Walmart.
HH
BB

n/t

I've never had a problem with either of these brands, and their run-time is excellent. I have had issues with short life or leakage with Ray-O-Vacs and Energizers.

Monte

Hi Monte. The Costco I had problems with were the Kirkland AA's. Could have just been that "run" but you know about "once bitten....." :thumbdown:

silversmith said:
Hi Monte. The Costco I had problems with were the Kirkland AA's. Could have just been that "run" but you know about "once bitten....." :thumbdown:
I've never had a problem with the Kirkland's, and after thinking about it I only had one issue with a Duracell (just one AA) that was encased backwards (reversed polarity), but that was several years ago.

Speaking of years ago, I used to do battery evaluations all during the '80s. Some earlier, but mostly through the '80s as a curious hobbyist as well as a dealer and then when I was working for Compass. I found some foreign brand Super Heavy Duty AA's back in '85 that lasted as long, in most models I evaluated them in, as the Eveready and Duracell AA batteries. I believe they were Toshiba.

Most of my testing was only with those labeled as Heavy-Duty, Super heavy-Duty or Alkaline. I bought them from stores that sold a LOT of batteries so as to have fresh product to test. I also did some with 9-Volt batteries, but mainly Double-A's. Off an on during the '90's I'd give a few others a try, when the opportunity presents itself, but I found that the worst battery I ever used, giving the shortest use-life, were Ray-o-Vac's. Many Super Heavy-Duty or even Heavy-Duty batteries would best the Ray-o-Vac alkalines.

I am going to ask Costco who supplies their Kirkland batteries now. I was recently told by an employee that they were made by Duracell, but I'll call corporate and verify that.

I am not saying the Energizers, or others, aren't good, but they just haven't performed, for me, as well as Duracell and Kirkland .... when I factor in the cost of operation. That's what gives the big edge to Costco'se brand .... value for the $$$. A box of 48 AA alkaline batteries for $10-something! Can't be beat.

Okay, enough of this mid-day computer stuff! I'm going to head out for some afternoon/evening deer hunting and maybe work a coil around an old homesite I came across in he woods. Happy Hunting.

Monte

Wow, what an ODDITY. A reversed polarity AA. :surprised: That boggles the mind. I've been in electronics for many years and have never seen a reverse polaritied battery. I hope you added that gem to your collectibles shelf !!! One of my favorite detectors was a modified Compass Judge 2 automatic. Were in sales or engineering?

I use Costco's Kirklands almost exclusively and I have for quite a while and I have never had a problem with them They give good service and are priced right.

silversmith said:
Wow, what an ODDITY. A reversed polarity AA. :surprised: That boggles the mind. I've been in electronics for many years and have never seen a reverse polaritied battery. I hope you added that gem to your collectibles shelf !!!
It was the one and only I had seen that way. About 8-10 years ago I had a 9V battery that had the + and - reversed on it as well.

silversmith said:
One of my favorite detectors was a modified Compass Judge 2 automatic.
They weren't bad. but I still found more with a straight TR, such as the 77B or the 77B Automatic, a Garrett TR and a White's Coinmaster III and Coinmaster IV TR's, all non-discriminating.

silversmith said:
Were in sales or engineering?
My title when I left was Dealer-Coordinator, Marketing Rep., and Customer Service rep.

Monte

The folks I detected with then used a 77B. We usually went out together. They dug everything, of course. I discriminated. At the end of the day, we mostly had the same quantity and same sort of coins. I noticed they were on the ground digging much more than I. By the way, the Judge 2's auto mode wasn't very good. It went boing, boing alot, and took forever to retune to "zero" if you went over a can. I found when in manual mode, if you pushed and held in the reset button on the top of the shaft, you had a much faster auto. I later replaced that switch with a toggle. Center being manual, down (momentary) reset for manual, and up reset on (automatic).. You could go back to center for pin point. I loved the thing after that. You had to scan fairly fast or you'd loose depth. Take care, Ron.

but have had the Copper Top (duracell) leak a couple of times. My F70 runs better (less chatter at hotter levels) with Energizers and have never had any leak but read down below where someone had problems with them. Guess I'll start taking them out after the hunt is over. HH