Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Armed on the beach????

I agree with Bottom Feeder....being armed does not mean "trigger happy" or stupid. I have had a VA concealed carry permit for many years, and when I feel the need, I carry my pistol...detecting or just traveling alone....but i have yet to shoot anyone. My husband is retired Navy, Weapons background....and he feels better when i travel with my CCW and firearm. We live in a rural part of VA and I am home alone with our daughter many nights....better to be prepared in the case of emergency. I also agree, that if the area is too dangerous to detect alone, then it is not worth the risk. I avoid detecting alone in many "known crime areas"
I do not find firearms dangerous or scary when handled by responsible people with some training and some SENSE.
KKinVA

enough was enough of carrying a gun. I never particularly liked guns anyway, but I don't fault anyone who does. I also am a firm believer in having the ability to take care of ones self by what ever means necessary and every law abiding citizen should have the right to have a gun and the ability to use it if necessary.

Even the best hand gun handlers get shot by their own guns when confronted with a wacko. It is easy to talk, but real hard to pull that trigger and hit your target area when the time comes and that little hesitation could cause your own death. To me, I prefer avoidance, but unfortunately not all of us are in a situation where we can do that. I do not own a handgun, nor do I wish to own one. Shotguns on the other hand have a wider spread in an emergency situation and that is what I own.

...but I have been on this forum for over 2 years, and I have never read a post from any treasure hunter about being assaulted on the beach by street gangs.
There was one post a long time ago, from a guy who was water hunting, low tide, at night in La Jolla, Ca., and some kids took pot shots at him with a 22. From my best recollection, he turned off his headlamp waded back to shore, called the police, and they came down and arrested them.
But I agree with you, that if you must be in a place that puts you in danger of being assaulted, and you are trained, experienced in the use of firearms, and practice at the range on a regular basis, then carrying a weapon may be necessary.
My firearms training was in the Navy, and I am not opposed to citizens protecting themselves. I am just saying that treasure hunting on the beach is something we do for fun, and if you feel that you need to carry a gun, then you probably feel you need to carry one at all times, not just at the beach. But that's another matter, and way off topic for this forum.

fod:)

Hope all those advocating the carring of a gun are prepared for the feeling as you watch the live drain away from a human being through a hole you put in them.

I got jumped from behind by two creeps a couple years back and there were 10 or 12 more standing on a hill above watching. People this was a wide open park with no trees in broad daylight that is routinely patrolled by police so how safe do you think a deserted beach is at night in the dark?

I spoke with an officer a few minutes later and gave him a description. I said these creeps were wearing blue jeans and white t-shirts and ran up that hill over there. He said look across the park and tell me what you see. Yep virtually everyone was wearing blue jeans and white t-shirts.

He said they do that on purpose and it makes identifying them virtually impossible. He said they sneak up behind people, knock them to the ground then beat and rob them. And sometimes rape and murder them. Luckily I was too big to knock over hehehe. I took a shot to the cheekbone, deflected a few with my detector, then the idiots turned and ran away.

Don't make the mistake of thinking a 4 foot beach scoop will deter them, these are not the brightest minds on the planet. I was twice their size and carrying a 30 inch steel relic shovel in plain site.

There was a time when I would read about police shooting a bad guy you know 10 or 12 times and I would think geeze isn't that a bit excessive? 4 cops and one bad guy why couldn't you just cuff him. Now I know, bad guys are not rational and may take your life in a split second. If I got jumped again today and had a gun, I'd empty the clip.

I do not advocate anybody to carry a weapon unless they are well trained.....aaaannnnndddddd....be willing and ready to use it. I think it is silly to think that I am going to be emotionally distraught by killing a dirt ball that was trying to kill me therefore I will not carry and throw caution to the wind. I know I will be traumatised and will be second guessing myself(I do that all the time) but survival is in my blood and life is not a bed of roses...all the time. I have been trained to shoot to stop the threat not kill. "Trained to shoot center of mass" After I stop the threat I am to immediately render first aid to the scum.:stretcher:

And during the fire fight ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check your back ground...don't want to hurt innocents.

As far as taking a life...I will have to deal with that after saving my self or another but at least we will be alive to deal with it...remember you can't control the bad guys actions but you can try to control your own destiny!

Well I am :eek:fftopic:...........but how about those pull tabs....I specially like the gold colored ones when they come up in your scoop with the beaver tail hiding...gives you a little adrenaline rush....I guess I heard it referred to as "Nitro":D

I read the post about half way down the page.

I have been confronted 3 times in 30 years. In all three cases my clam manner with stood the test and nobody to include myself was hurt.

I didn't and don't tell war stories but I will say this.

Some of you folks know me, most of you don't. I all ways carry protection. Here is what I carry. Bowie Knife, Pepper Spray, Good Attitude. I would use them accordingly, a good attitude would always be my first line of defence. Pepper spray next then the bowie.

I live in a city that is gang infested, and try to hunt when they will be sleeping. Early morning hours.

Almost forgot. Cell Phone are also good. I never leave the house with out mine.

Hope this helps

OK on the retirement part.I have a carry for Pa. It can get a little nasty in our urban parks in Western Pa.What i use for digging is a knife made in pakistan (old style)Larger than a Bowie,10x2 inch blade.Honed to razor sharpness to cut plugs easily and protection,and pepper spray where it can be seen.When I see that someone is heading straight for me I set the detector down and tell them that is close enough, about 5-10 yards What do you want? At the same time the knife comes out of the scabbard.They,so far have turned away,but it's always shaky out there.If detecting alone always check your back,and carry a cell phone.If you don't have a cell phone,try to get one from that is broke,just to carry on your belt.It may help you out of a jam.In ending this post i will say it is not off topic,it is happening and we have to be alerted to it.Good Luck,good hunting.

Jim pa

My scoop is probably my most easily accessable weapon, as it is stainless and about 30lbs. or so and would inflict serious damage. Also at my side is a fixed blade field knife. In my rear mesh pouch I have a 12 ga flare gun with one-in-the-pipe, for distance protection with 5 or 6 extra rounds(I have have test fired it for those of you wondering if flares will fire after being submerged, oh yea baby!). Be aware of you're surroundings and be especially aware at night.