Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Armed on the beach????

How did you get a national carry permit?????Especially for the states that don't have carry permits.Don't forget pepper spray.That works too.

You could KILL somebody.

If it's too dangerous to go detecting, don't go! It's not worth it. Best to avoid getting yourself in a difficult situation in the first place.
Over the years I have owned many guns: AR15 colt sporterized 221 rifle, Walther PPKS 38 cal, pistol and a Ruger 22 cal pistol. My daughter was a crack shot on her college pistol team, and my wife is a better shot then me. We all like to punch holes in paper. I mention this because I am an advocate for safe firearms use.

I hope there are a few law enforcement folks on the forum that can speak to this issue before somebody gets hurt.

fod:)

OC stands for Oleo Capsicum (also called Capsaicin) which is the active ingredient in pepper spray. As you know it burns like the dickens and can interrupt breathing.

I figure that the most likely scenario is some drunk guy giving you some crap. And I haven't met a drunk yet that was a match for me (or any able-bodied guy) sober. Now if there's more than one, that's when I resort to "Night Of The Living Dead" mode and start swinging that scoop and seeing how many layers of skin there are before I hit bone.

:starwars:

They finally passed the law that allows active and retired Police Officers to carry nationwide now with a couple of exceptions such as on commercial airline flights.

I rarely carry off duty though even in my home area. As far as detecting goes, my spray and long handled scoop should be good enough.

On the contrary, every where the citizenry is allowed to carry, victim crime is down. It is not even arguable. Study after study proves it.

Your quote__"If it's too dangerous to go detecting, don't go!"

Nobody has a crystal ball so you don't know it is dangerous until it is too late.

Your quote__"Best to avoid getting yourself in a difficult situation in the first place."

Again how do you know where the dangerous situation is.
Be a good boy scout, be prepared, be armed!

There ya go, this law enforcement folk just spoke to the issue!:starwars:

Virginia has a very liberal concealed weapon policy. CCW permit holders do not break the law. I carry with my badge & ID. All of the CCW permit holders I run into are decent, law abiding people who want the ability to be able to protect themselves. Gang activity is growing in all states and you never know when a small gang may want to make you a part of an initiation. If they pick me it will be a fatal mistake. The gang MS13 is in town and on their agenda is to kill a cop. Some have initiations to just kill someone, anyone, to be a member. Have we had any problems here yet? Nope. I'm just saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If you are going to be on the beach between 12 mid and dawn and have a CCW permit, I have no problem recommending carrying something for protection.

I agree with you Mike I dont think they can stand but one swat of a 4ft long Scoop and I am going to hurt someone real bad no matter where I hit him.

So instead I depend on my trusty 6lb Stainless Steel Scoop. In 25 years of beach hunting at night I never needed to use it. Though I did come close last Summer on the beach in OC,NJ where an old drunk was hellbent on starting trouble to the point of following me and another detectorist down the beach. We walked up onto the boardwalk and told one of the Police that patrol the boardwalk at night about him. He called in on the radio and a few more police showed up and took care of the guy. So one incident in 25 years isn't too bad. Still as gangs and murders get more and more prevalent it would be nice to be able to protect yourself.

HH

Beachcomber