Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are there any DECENT Chinese Detectors??? If so,please post..

I would say that "decent" is a bit of a stretch. There are enough affordable American-made detectors available to keep me from buying Chinese made products. Then again, maybe if they sold more detectors they would be less inclined to mass-produce counterfeit coins. Wishful thinking..

Garrett has a detector at every price level. They are made in the USA and have the best customer service. Why buy Chinese?

The reason Id buy Chinese is to save money..(Its kinda like going detecting,and finding a $100 on the first try)..

What I'd therefore like to know is if there's anyone out there who has air tested a chinese unit, or actually tried a chinese unit, and had any success with it..

If someone has/had a Chinese unit,and it's hot on gold at say 10", Id like to at least test it out in the ground...

Or Id like to know if it's a TOTAL PIECE OF GARBAGE Lol!

Dave F.
from PA.

i would always spend a little more money if need be to buy an American made product over any import product since we make our living in AMERICA not china not japan not germany or any other country...Remember when you buy an import made product the money goes Home not to our home USA but to thier home..Lets support Garrett,,,Tesoro,,, Whites,,,,Fisher,,,,,Teknetics,,,,Bounty Hunter,they all make competitive priced metal detectors in all price ranges and built in the USA...Yeah i know im old school......Best of luck to all of you this detecting season.....Markmac

A friend of mine bought one of these, mainly for his kids and it was the GC1023, it also goes by other names. When he bought it a couple of years ago it was something like $65. It is very light weight, and looks and felt cheaply constructed and for him at maximum length, it was too short for an adult and you had to bend over some. The meter was a joke moving back and forth on any signal and was only useful when checking the batteries (took 2 - 9V's). 4 Modes of operation AM, Disc., Tone and Pinpoint. It also had a low battery indicator and also had a 1/8" headphone jack. I can't remember the operating freq. something like 5, but not sure. It had fast recovery. Coil is a 8" concentric and I don't think there is any smaller coils for it. In a test garden it would hit on a 6" dime in Disc. mode and in AM mode a 7" dime in our soil. For a kid nothing wrong with it, but not for an adult and serious detecting. Now these are over $100, if I recall correctly.

Air Test

All Metal mode

1c - 8 1/2"

5c - 8 1/2"

10c - 8 1.2"

25c - 9"

50c - 10"

1.00 - 10"

Disc. mode
Max. Sen., Disc. set where it would disc. out a nail

1c - 7 1/2"

5c - 6 1/2"

10c - 7 1/2"

25c - 8 1/2"

50c - 9"

1.00 - 9"

PS Ive owned the Garrett 250,and tested it..The 250 has PLENTY of SENSITIVITY,but IRON will mask targets,and it's recovery speed isn't the best...Plus I despise the small meter icons,(what's the sense of having a meter,if you can't read it???!!) And I don't like the pinpointing ability of the ellipitical coils...

I had an F2, but to me it seems a little too much like Bounty Hunter,(Sorry folks,I despise Bounty Hunter)..
JUMPY METER, plus shoddy pinpointing feature that sounds like the whole detector is falling apart when passing over a target! Lol! (I've tested SEVERAL Bounty Hunters,Sharp Shooter II,the Discovery 3000,etc.,and the meters were typical RadioShack/Bounty Hunter- "Mexican Jumping Bean"!! ALL OVER the screen!! And with the best model,(Discovery 3000),I was lucky to get 6" on the air tests????!

The only metered machines I've liked so far is a Minelab X-terra 30,a Deleone,and a CZ5.. The CZ5 was a good machine,(but expensive,a little heavy,and liked nails),so I sold it...

The Xterra 30, GREAT meter,but SLOW recovery time,and feel Minelab could lighten it with an aluminum
shaft vs the heavy duty steel shaft...I think the Minelabs are the best,but think they're too EXPENSIVE,HEAVY/BULKY!!

**The Tesoro Deleone: Meter slightly jumpy,BUT ACCURATE, but not sure of the 10khz. being able to punch down for depth??? I therefore sold the Deleone to test another detector..(HOWEVER,SOMEDAY I WILL HAVE ANOTHER DELEONE! ***THIS IS MY FAVORITE USA METER MACHINE,WITH ACCURATE,LARGE EASY TO READ DISPLAY***

Some say the Cortez is MUCH better,(but out of my budget), AND IT ALSO HAS A SMALL METER! What good is a meter,if you can't see it???????

So just for now,I'm trying to stay away from digital metered machines,(UNLESS THEY'RE THE OLD FASHIONED ANALOG "NEEDLE" METERS THAT ARE LIGHTNING QUICK,AND STAY STEADY ONCE THE TARGET IS READ! )

Of the non metered machines, the newer Tesoro Vaquero,Cibola,and Tejon have the lower tone 400hz audio, which I do not like..The older Tesoros have the higher 600 hz audio, but they lack a bit in the DEPTH area..

I air tested a Fisher 1236,but it was only hitting coins,rings,etc. at the 7" mark,(I have an 8" minimum I like to hunt with).

I also had a Fisher ID Excel,and it's meter also jumped around like a Mexican Jumping Bean,(even after I lowered sensitivity! ) And the Fisher ID Excel is not an inexpensive detector....

I'm at the point Im ready to use a magnet on a stick...Lol...

Dave F.
Clairton,Pa.

PS Ive have emailed Tesoro about making an AFFORDABLE entry level machine,with ANALOG needle meter,
(LIGHTNING QUICK RECOVERY), but havent heard anything...The ANALOG NEEDLE meter machine would be LIGHTWEIGHT, with LARGE,EASY TO READ INCREMENTS ON THE METER:

Iron Foil Gold Nickle Zinc Dime Quarter,

AND OF COURSE WITH EXTRA DEPTH/SENSITIVITY!!

AS A GREAT FEATURE,,A NIGHT LITE WOULD BE ADDED FOR NIGHT HUNTING.....

Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for the post! I'd have to say the air tests are not actually bad on that one..

I know what you mean about jumpy meters,but that is'nt all that much of a rarity..
(Some Radioshack/Bounty Hunters do the same thing)..Do you recall what type of pinpoint it had?? Was it sort of
a Direct Current (D.C.) pinpoint,or was it some sort of goofy VCO? Lol!?

Dave

PS Ron,can the shaft on the GC-1023 be drilled,modified,or whatever for a little extra length for an adult??
And have you heard of any decent NON metered Chinese machines?? I'm wondering about the GC-1029,
a water machine with NO METER! What Id like to gather here is ALL the info I can get on these things,so people
are aware of what they're about to buy!!

PS Ron forgot to ask the MOST IMPORTANT question...How is it's DISCRIMINATION??

When you dial it up,does it linearlly drop out higher conductive targets properly???????

Thanks again Ron,
Dave

PSS I already know ALOT of the Chinese water machines WILL NOT be safe for underwater use,(LEAKAGE)..

However, may not be so bad for typical use in the rain???

I'm kinda partial, but I say BUY AMERICAN. Nothing that I've ever bought that was made in China has ever been worth a crap and always ended up being a waste of money. :usaflag: :usaf:

I buy American every chance I get. In today's world on some products though that is impossible. I'm thankful that there are a variety of metal detectors still Made in the USA. I bought American this week. I bought a Garrett Pro pointer and a Lesche Relic hunter shovel. The quality is amazing and I know they will be worth every penny and it supports American workers.:usaflag:

davef99 said:
I know what you mean about jumpy meters,but that isn't all that much of a rarity..
(Some Radio shack/Bounty Hunters do the same thing)..Do you recall what type of pinpoint it had?? Was it sort of
a Direct Current (D.C.) pinpoint,or was it some sort of goofy VCO? Lol!?

Well the meter was really an intensity type meter. It was silent search in AM and Disc. modes. In Pinpoint mode, it was VCO non motion, as I recall.

dave99 said:
PS Ron,can the shaft on the GC-1023 be drilled,modified,or whatever for a little extra length for an adult??
And have you heard of any decent NON metered Chinese machines?? I'm wondering about the GC-1029,
a water machine with NO METER! What Id like to gather here is ALL the info I can get on these things,so people
are aware of what they're about to buy!!

I sure it could, just need some sort of extension. This one would really qualify for a non metered machine as it's really an intensity meter and the only use was for a battery check. I have no idea on the GC-1029. My friend bought this, like I said, for his kids and didn't want to pay much for one as some kids tend to loose interest pretty quick on things.

I saw on another forum that the circuit board of the GC-1023 was a copy or clone of the Tesoro Compadre, but didn't get the same depth. Don't know if this is true or not just what I had read.

Dave99, I think you made a mistake getting rid of the CZ5. It is deeper than anything else you mentioned in your post and was one of the best CZ's Fisher made. It does like deep square nails but there are ways around digging all those nails. Like the other posters, I would avoid the cheap chinese junk detectors at all costs. When it breaks down, and it will break down, where are you going to get it fixed? Buy a good quality American made detector and keep you dollars in the USA instead of sending them to China.

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDIN RIGHT? Chinese JUNK!!!!!

I once bought a Chinese metal detector for a relative because that is what he wanted and it was a Bogo detector that only cost me a $100. Anyhow it turned out to be just a piece of junk as there was no way to tell what was under the coil. By the time you discriminated out the iron and pull tabs, it didn't have any depth left. Think it would have made a halfway decent "dig it all" relic machine as its depth wasn't all that bad, when not discriminating anything out. Anyhow because he never had a clue as to whatever was under the coil, he gave it back to me and it is now a dust collector sitting in one of my corners. This particular metal detector now runs $299.95 new, you can buy a pretty decent American made detector for that price and it won't be a piece of Chinese junk!