Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are BH ... BS ?:unsure:

Minermangold

Not to throw shade on fellow detctorists , but I gotta ask this question.
I know walmart sells these for cheap so do they work for the price or are they just cheepo models with lots of plastic.

I seen time ranger with that led thing on top of box and led screen display seems over the top.

hi minermangold. no, i don't think bh is bs. i think what we have is a good priced, mostly entry and intermediate level machines on the market. i had my pioneer 202 for a couple of years and did real good with it. it was never my primary machine, though. bh, like all the other machine makers, has it's quirks but do well once you get to know them. they're pretty hard to beat with good prices and a five year guarantee. once in a while i'll dust her off and hit the ground sweeping! hh!

I want to know why you ask, are you thinking about buying one? what kind of detector do you use and is it over the top?lol
Explain why you would ask that question please.

BH is definitely NOT BS...They put the money where it counts...IN THE ELECTRONICS of the detector...The cases are plastic, but not thin, cheap stuff..still rugged and can take a good drop (not on purpose). The shafts are aluminum and polycarbonate (I think)...again, tough enough...They have simple machines like the BH Jr. and the Trackser IV (this machine is deadly in the right hands)...I have owned the Pioneer 202, and 505, and currently own a Land Star...Each machine had it's pros and cons, but all of them were capable of detecting a US dime at 8"+...They are NOT great gold machines (because of the 6.59Mhz operating freq), but again, under the right conditions, people are earning a living beach detecting with Tracker IVs...Are there better machines out there??? There are more expensive machines, but better is in the eye of the beholder (owner)...My Land Star is NOT my main machine (It used to be), but now I have grown to like my White's Classic II SL (modified) better, and use the Land Star as a backup, or to make a better guess as to what my target is, as it IDs targets quite accurately. The Classic has no LCD, and I have to rely on pure sound...The White's is also a little deeper seeking, only because of it's manual ground balance and threshold controls (after modification)...to sum it up, if you need a cheap detector that can hold it's own against the other brands, the BH, Fisher, and Technetics brands are a great choice...Just because they are carried by Wally World and "Shoot Me!!! I'm a Target, does not mean they are junk...it is just a different way that BH markets their machines...I am on the boat with those that believe detectors are best left sold by knowledgable DEALERS...

Happy Huntin',

It just seems I don't really know anyone or seen anyone really find very deep or anything worth recovering. All the good finds are seemingly found more consistently with more tech machines. I have used many different models and gave up on some brands that seem not to cut it in the field.
Fisher was a poor choice and garrett was just a joke ... Treasure vision ? Are you serious ?
So when I see the so called top of line BH (time ranger) I get a toy ray gun feel and with that plastic housing and weird speedometer display.

Am I wrong ? It looks like a star trek prop or something like those weird Chinese detectors. I don't see any serious 3rd party loops for these machines . Or even a gold machine or ok surf water detector.

I have been to club meets and did not see any. I know there is some hesitation from club members because we had a prize giveaway of a landstsr and the winner was so pissed off he said he rather wrap it around a tree than use it. I don't know if it was kept or not .

Minermangold,,,,,,Whats wrong wt you ?? Really, whats wrong wt you? Still havent heard what brand you use. I,ve found lots of things well worth digging, but I bet you throw 1804 half pennies away to dig something deeper thats worth while. lol
Lots BHers find old coins on a consitant basis.

Do you drool uncontrolably when you talk ? and walk into doors 2 ,3 times a day because you forget to turn the door knob?

Let me guess a minelab.(do you sleep with it a night) If that is true about that giveaway then you a@%#$^% must hang out together.

Please go brag about your magic machine somewhere else, or have they run you off the other forums?

Its great to find the old stuff but for most its about getting out and having fun no matter what brand machine, Obviously not for you, you need to snap out of it . Some people shouldnt be allowed to get on the internet with out supervision.

I was right you do own a minelab, I guessed at first,,, its the only brand you didnt bash in your message. Then I went and looked at all your post in the last 22 days since you signed or resigned up wt your new name.
With post like like that you wont last long.
You wouldnt happen to live in Michigan. You kinda remind me of a hard headed feller I use to know that owned a minelab. Jeff I think?????
This post may not last long here so I wanted to ask,, can you find diamonds wt that machine? And buried hundred dollar bills rolled up wt a rubber band? LOL I need to know, If you can , I want two.

Some of the best finds I ever made were with a BH TR500 years ago. I am considering going back, more for the money.

Rob

:wiggle:i have a bh 505 some of my finds i feel are good may be not to you but to me i love them all 1877cc seated liberty 1906 barder dime 3 ihs 1900 and 1901 8 mercury dimes 1913 canadian quater 1912 v nickle 4 gold rings 3 silver rings 1 gold braclet and munch more stuff all fun paid 100.00 seconed hand and only been at this 4 months inexpensive yes cheap no

Minermangold

Do have a link to where your are seeing the Time Ranger? I looked on Walmart's web site, and can't find a Time Ranger.
I am wondering about the Time Ranger you said had the LED thing on the top. That one sound like Bounter Hunter's first Time Ranger.

See the following link.

http://www.whiteriverprep.com/vintage/timeranger/timeranger.html

It seems one can't ask a question without upsetting the hicks. Perphaps during the shaving of your UNI-brow and lovemaking a possum you would realize the fair questions presented. It's the 21st century afterall and we got "aero - planes" and "horseless carriages" now, so when you discover fire and stop writing on walls with chicken blood someone would let you near that "new fangled computer thing" with the "purty lights".

Other posters are quick to respond with their results , which are showing great finds. I was trying to see if hobbyists are finding value with models and feeling that the quality / performance are there and not just mass marketed. It seemed as they just "sold" anywhere without the serious support of it's maker. Is there just land models ? Any reason there is no aftermarket loops , accessories ?

I don't know which BH you have or do I care , but when you go hunting with your "magic beeping stick" look past the neighbor's goat and ask yourself if I dig up a couple of more cans I could buy some gum !!!!

Remember :

Coins - Good
Cans - Bad

So simple a "caveman" can do it !!! :rofl:

I think the only bs on here is you. You need to tell people that dont use them how bad they are, We know better

I think everyone is getting hostile.

Metal detecting isn't about how rich you can get, or who has the best detector, or any of that crap! Metal detecting is about having fun.

Bad-mouthing each other doesn't help.

If you don't like the way a metal detector looks, don't buy it! I am very happy with my Bounty Hunter, and would buy another one.

Why you calling me a basher? I didnt bash anything but your attitude. I dont care what machine a person uses ,Ive used many different ones myself, but stayed wt BH.
You came to the BH forum and unloaded a mouthfull, now you want to justify it. And Don't call me names .Are you writing a book? Seems ,,,,you love that minelab so well that, if someone uses something different ,,,,,,you will let them know why they shouldnt,What kind of book is that? Fiction!

Try a documentery and just talk about yourself. No one will buy it ,but you wont get yourself in trouble doing the research cuz you already know all there is to know. LOL

Remember to ......TURNnnnnnnnnnn ...... the door handle first.

Once again with doorknobs and remarks. When you learn to command the language either in written or verbal form then maybe you can make a small intelligent post.
So comb your mullet and stare at your loser reflection in the local swimming hole.

"why don't you write a documentary ? ..... Duh Duh derrr Duh

What the hell was that supposed to mean ? LOL :bouncy:

I read a post from someone here about the Model they use and it's performance.
So, any one getting " butt hurt " is only you.

If the posters here look at when you started the remarks first , it does not matter what machines I own or use , I AM interested in checking out BH more closely.

This is getting old so go back to your "double wide" and just ....cry . :).

Hi Minermangold. I own the latest 4th version of the Time Ranger. It is light but fairly sturdy and is easy for me to use. I have all three coils, 4", 8", and 10" and use them all in different situations. I believe that the first version 8 or 9 years ago had the "ray gun" thingy on top, now they don't. I was told that the function served by the "ray gun" was integrated into the circuit board.

For the price I paid I am very pleased with it. I don't metal detect for a living and I don't prospect for gold, etc. MDing is strictly a hobby for me. I mostly coin shoot in local parks and school grounds as well as a few plots of private property and the Time Ranger excels at this. I have found gold and silver rings while coin shooting (and lots of small metal cars). I will have an opportunity to do some relic hunting on private property this fall and am looking forward to seeing what I can find with my detector.

As far as the wierd "speedometer" appearance of the display, it is functional and I like it once I got used to it. I can see a lot of information about what my detector is trying to tell me and easily program it without changing screens or scrolling through menus. I can reach most of the touch pads with my thumb while I am using the detector. I wish it was waterproof or that Bounty Hunter made a custom fit "rain bonnet" so I could hunt in the drizzle without using a gallon size ZipLok freezer bag. And it would be a nice plus if the display was back lit for night detecting.

Due to my financial restraints Bounty Hunter allowed me to get into my hobby of metal detecting. I couldn't afford a top of the line Minelab or Whites but I could afford the top of the line Bounty Hunter. The 5yr warranty and good customer service is of value also. I get out several days during the week and most weekends when weather permits (yes, my wife thinks I am obsessed) and I have not had any problems with my machine since I bought it 16 months ago. I treat my machine with care, as I do with all of my tools and possesions, so durability has not been an issue. In other words, I don't really know how much abuse it will take because I don't abuse it.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Thank you for your comments ..... That detector you explained about and it's features are what I have seen . As you can see by "other" posters that I wouldn't get a straight answer.
What models do you think would make a fair backup detector, I have a couple of other brands but am curious about something that I can get the wife to use or keep for a backup when I don't want to lug around the others. Pioneer ? Or tracker ? eBay has some listings that are fairly reasonable.

Do they all take 9 v power ?

Ok...I am gonna chime in here against my better judgement...lol...All the newer (spelling) BH machines operate on 2 - 9V batteries...the New Delta, Omega, etc, T2, and Platinum run on a single 9V I believe...Someone correct me if I am wrong...For a starter machine, the Tracker IV cannot be beat, both for price and operation...There is a mate on here in Ausie that makes a living on the beach with one...He finds enough in a year...mainly the gold, to support himself. If your Wife is experienced, I would not go with anything less than the Land Star...

http://www.detecting.com/

Check out BH site for thier lineup, and to get a free catalogue...I think you will be surprised at what you see...

HH,

I like BH alot! I have a Land Ranger, which is almost the same as the Time Ranger, minus a couple of features, I think. I also have a Pioneer 505 that does well. I picked both up on ebay at very reasonable prices. I'm not beating the BH drum as a 'tectorist that only uses BH. I also have several Tesoros, a Teknetics Delta 4000, Whites XLT, and Fisher F2, F4, F5, and F70. And I must say, the BH's may not have all the "bells and whistles" of the others, but WITH TIME AND PRACTICE TO LEARN THE MACHINE....BH kicks butt! I'll never get rid of mine....

Eddie