Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone else have dead pixels?

Ytcoinshooter

I've had my V3i for 5 years come October, this is the first issue and it's going back to the mother ship in Sweet Home. I decided to call them instead of just filling out the online form. Left messages on 2 different days before the Labor Day weekend. They must be busy because I've not heard back from them. All my dealings with Whites service have been exemplary for thier customer service. I prefer discussing my issues first, before sending it in. That's just me and may not be necessary. FYI - the problem was intermittent at first, a warning sign. The display should be an easy fix and I'll ask them to check check anything could possibly require calibration while the have it. I'll miss her for sure...:cry:

Try taking the battery out when it is still turned on ...then rebooting the system ... putting battery back in then turn on ...

Thanks guys. I'm familiar with those procedures for various software problems and short of a master reset I tried a few before posting. Unfortunately this is hardware and one I saw often before I retired from I.T. I asked here because this forum has a large audience (sampling) and search as I did the Internet I couldn't find another instance. That speaks well generally for the quality of the V3i display but mine is tanking.
I'll try whites ringing them up again or maybe just use the online submission form and wait for them to contact me. I have another, different model Whites unit needing service and hoped to discuss that one too.
HH - Bruce

Getting it checked out and tuned up after 5 years is probably a good idea anyway but if you want to try the fix yourself, more often than not, the ribbon connector that goes into the display board becomes oxidised. It could be the display but I would pull the connector out and put it back in before sending it in. Unless White's have changed their ways, the ribbon connector was just silver plated, not gold, and we all know how silver oxidizes.

The word intermittent is the clue to connector problems.

Larry (IL) said:
Getting it checked out and tuned up after 5 years is probably a good idea anyway but if you want to try the fix yourself, more often than not, the ribbon connector that goes into the display board becomes oxidised. It could be the display but I would pull the connector out and put it back in before sending it in. Unless White's have changed their ways, the ribbon connector was just silver plated, not gold, and we all know how silver oxidizes.

The word intermittent is the clue to connector problems.

Excellent Larry, I never gave that a thought. I'll can give that a try today before sending it out, if accessing the ribbon connector is easy. I've seen ribbon connectors from mainframes to PC's that had issues while I was working. This problem went from intermittent to constant, as oxidation progresses I can understand this. They'll want the coil (it's good) and the battery holder as usual when sending in a unit. The inspection by Whites is a good thing to do after the use it has seen. I have taken good care of this unit.
Thank you,
HH - Bruce

The connector is in the display pod so it is easy to get to. Just be sure the rubber gasket is seated properly before putting the pod back together.

Good luck and hope the repair works.

If reseating the connector fixes the problem you might consider pulling the connector off again and applying some silicone dielectric grease. This will prevent the connection from oxidizing again. Check on the internet about silicone dielectric grease. I have seen it used on electronic connectors but not very often. If you are thinking of trying silicone dielectric grease I would check with White's as to why they did not apply silicone dielectric grease from the factory. They may have a valid reason.