Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ALL YOU FLORIDA GUYS AND GALS....................

Diane

Hi Everyone. I wanted to know where you live in Florida. My husband and I are looking to move there and wonder what areas to avoid. Of course we would have to be near the beach(detecting ,scuba diving) What is anyones thoughts of the Homestead area of Florida? We are also looking on the East or West Coast of Florida. It will be just the two of us so we don't have to worry about schools and that sort of thing. We just want to find a nice community with low crime and don't have to drive 50 miles to get to a store or Hospital etc. If anyone lives in a town house or condo, maybe you could tell us if what the fees are and what the taxes are like. I do appreciate anything that you can tell us about this. If you prefer to Private Message me that would be great too! Thanks, Diane

Variously known as --The Redneck Riviera, The Emerald Coast,
Isn't that part of Alabama,, or 400- miles to Disney World.
Actually we have some of the most beautiful beaches in all of Florida.. White sand, emerald green waters. From Pensacola to Destin Florida is a long stretch of barrier islands a combination of National Seashore, public , Private, and US Air force property. From October to May the weather is just about perfect. Warm days , cool nights. It can get cold in January, sometimes into the upper twenties, for maybe all of three nights. Summers , like the rest of Florida, is hot. Plenty of Condos, townhouses and housing. Our housing market is slow like a lot of other places. Great fishing.
Oh, did I mention Metal Detecting the beaches, clear flowing rivers and other areas?
South Florida is nice . The Panhandle aint it. I havent locked my ffront door in 14 years., except when I drive to Disney at Christmas.. Don

homestead is high crime and so is anywhere south of west palm beach. from west palm north take your pick it all nice. you have the treasure coast from cocoa beach south 2 w. palm don't know much about west coast.

n/t

Try the West Coast.

Marco Island, Naples, Punta Gorda, Sanibel Island

...throughout FL, but areas north of South Florida are less negatively affected. I live in a townhome/condo in an HOA. When I bought here 10 years ago I had to pay $130 a month maintenance. Now it's $300 a month and will probably increase again. It's NOT worth what we get for that expense, but due to the outrageous insurance for homes in South Florida, thanks to hurricane liability, the HOAs have to factor that in. Of course, I still have to pay through the nose for insurance for the inside of my home. Car insurance is also high in South FL. Crime is up. Watch "Cops" and "America's Most Wanted" for evidence of that.

I used to live in Vero Beach, back in early 1990 to late 1992. Life wasn't as exciting up there for a single person, but it would be great for a married couple. It's a safe, beautiful, beachside community with a good quality of life and you'd be right at some of the best treasure hunting sites in Florida. The Treasure Coast. And you could still be within driving distance of South Beach, Palm Beach County, the Space Coast, etc. Also, Vero Beach and the surrounding areas have really grown in the last 15 years. They actually have MALLS there now. (When I was there I would come to Palm Beach County to shop, play and visit old friends and my mother.)

That's just my two cents.

Good luck in your search.

HH

Stacey

That maintence fee sure sounds high. What do you pay for your regular insurance? Thanks for the info it will help us in our search.

RE: Places to live in Brevard and Indian River Counties.

Diane:

We are a retired couple who live on the east side of Florida between Melbourne and Vero Beach near Sebastian. This area is a manufactured home area. We live in a 55+ park. We have a pool, shuffle board, tennis, etc. This park is off highway 1 and is an easy access to Melbourne (20Miles) and Vero Beach (20 Miles. We are 3 miles from the ocean by way the Crow flies. If you take the Highways we are about 10 miles over to A1A. There are a number of beaches to use your metal detectors on from Highway 192 in Melbourne down to Vero Beach. This area has very good hospitals close by, loads of doctors, and very good shopping malls all over the area. In our park as well as other parks around the area you can find a very nice house under $100,000. Like every place the Insurances are high, but the taxes are more moderate, approximately $800 to $1500 per year. There are regular homes at good prices also. Not just manufactured homes. The crime is not bad here at all. We belong to a very good Archeology Club in Sebastian.

After the three hurricane's in a row punch :punch::punch: :punch: (three within about 3 weeks) that we got in 2005 all our roofs had to be replaced. Despite insurance and the high maintenance, we EACH got assessments of an extra $5,000 per unit (4 per building) for new roofs. Their insurance didn't cover it all. :surprised:

Just beware of being in a known "flood zone" in Florida. I'm not, but if you are, or are closer to the shore than I am (8-9 miles) then your insurance will be much higher. Something to be aware of.

HH!

Stacey

That is great information and I thank you for your help. Sounds like a nice place to live:) Thanks, Diane

Thanks Stacey these are all things that we are going to have to keep in mind before purchasing anything. I do thank you for your help. Diane

With property tax being as high as it is, I don't know that I would move to S. Florida .

Crime is out of control and it's too dam expensive to start here new but the hunting is pretty good.

Try north of Palm beach if your set on the east coast.

I would not even consider Homestead, no disrespect to members living there, but I don't speak the language anymore and want to avoid being a crime victim.

GL/HH

I would take a hard look at central Fl. My wife and I live in Ocala (Marion County). Have a beautiful home on the edge of town. 45min. drive to get to the Gulf or 1.25hr for Daytona. In the heart of horse country. Not an area for young (21-35yr olds not a lot of club scene) people. But then we have 3acres w/ a single family rancher and the property taxes are not that bad.

My Daughter has lived at Pt ST John near Titusville for over 10 years. Nice area and a stones throw from Canaveral Space Center, near highway 95, not far from Orlando (1/2 hour) and other highlights of Fla.

The expenses there are no higher than the rest of Fla. it seems and it is in the "Indian River" region and not far from the Treasure Coast!!. This small town is higher and drier than a lot of Fla. too!!!

GL,

Cupajo

The plague is spreading from south Fl. to the north. STAY away from so.Fl. I'm not even sure i would move to Fl. at all. The crime is out of control. Auto insurance is high. Home insurance is high. The schools suck. Unless y'all want your kids to grow up as idiots, look elsewhere.

I moved here from Long Island, NY while in the middle of 6th grade. I was AMAZED at how far behind the kids were here!!! They were learning (hopefully!) stuff that I had learned in 4th grade. The kids in my elementary school here made fun of me because of my "big words" and believe me, they weren't big words! They were just words used in normal conversation. It got to the point where I would watch what I'd say so the other kids wouldn't think I was being a snob.

Yes, the schools here absolutely suck! That's why when it came time to go off to college I went out of state (Missouri) because I figured that the colleges here had to be just as bad as the elementary, middle and high schools.

Now, if anyone reading this went to a FL University or College, I'm sorry. Don't be mad at me. :argue: I'm not saying the FL colleges were or are inferior, because I did not experience them. But I am that glad I went out of state.

:wiggle:

HHH! (Happy House Hunting!)
Stacey

I have to agree with you on South Florida. About the Schools I can't say. Here in Santa Rosa County are schools ranks very high nationally.
I love living near big waters. Living in NW Florida along the Gulf Coast allows me to do so on a retired fixed income. I have lived near , and on some the best big waters the USA has to offer. But what made them great 40 years ago has disappeared.

Loved San Diego Calif and close by areas . GONE, Californicated by to many people who were more interested in BIG, to many cars, to many bad politicians. You want to live there bring a bag full of money and contend with beaches overrun with people and sprouting ordinance signs listing fifty beach violations .

Loved Ventura Calf. Gone Californicated worse than San Diego.

Loved 3 years living and working in Honolulu. The City and State has continued to keep the beaches for the use of its citizens. Still clean and great surf with no buttocrats to make long list of don't. You can still drive around any island and in to any beach park (no meters, few dont signs). The down side - a tourist based economy where everything is high cost and little produced locally and locals are priced out of just about everything.. Bring a bigger bag of money (Actually unless you fully loaded don't even think of living there. If you are go for it)

Seattle Wash, lovely place even thirty years ago. Nice and green , lovely clean water. GONE. Californicated by displaced Californians looking for what they helped destroy in So Calif.

San Francisco - Stinson Beach and other Northern beach locations. I don't even want to talk about it.
My list is long, but I think you get the point. Lots of people want to live near big water. A friend of mine came down from Minnesota in our slow season April. . He looked up an down the public beach (Maybe six people looking for shells) he could see the white sand to the horizon in both directions. Looked at the clear green water. He turned to me and said "Don't tell anybody about this beach, ever". But here I've gone and done so. I'm only worried a little, It will take about twenty years to blow this one away and by then I'll be long gone.. Did I tell you that we have hurricanes and from June to September is hot and muggy and you want to leave for the high mountains. There are few good paying jobs here. That pretty much limits our growth. Our closest Interstate is fifteen miles away. That pretty much causes all Californians to lose interest.. Our property taxes are low and going lower. That pretty much discourages tax and spend buttocrats. Oh did I mention there is no Florida state income tax. I often ask my out of state relatives why their state has state income tax. They never can come up with an answer that makes any sense. Something about growth and progress, and that is exactly why South Florida has been Californicated along with some of the most beautiful places in this country. You want to sell things to a lot of people - don't come here. You want to 12 lane our roads and build those neat land grabin cloverleafs, so you can get to your job five minutes faster - don't come here. You believe that all progress and growth is what makes a place great - You love BIG, please don't even think about coming here. Go to South Florida, or better yet join the herd in So Calif.
NW Florida is a good place to live. You want a piece of it - don't wait too long. Big water places are on the indangered list. :cool:

flcracker said:
The plague is spreading from south Fl. to the north. STAY away from so.Fl. I'm not even sure i would move to Fl. at all. The crime is out of control. Auto insurance is high. Home insurance is high. The schools suck. Unless y'all want your kids to grow up as idiots, look elsewhere.

LoL what the hell! I am a fourth generation Floridian and I have an IQ over 170. If you don't want your kids to grow up as idiots take some initiative as a parent and help educate your child. No offense to you flcracker...I'm sure you were just throwing this out there but, I love my home and I'll take it (and my education) over any other suggestion.