Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All alone with my Tejon

candycane

Between the casual user and the full time gold prospectors { WHAT A MACHINE-4000 } I am the only user around here not using a Minelab...I let someone use the Tejon and I think he might order one...The weight is the turn on....Brandy.

Same here, I'm the only one close that uses a Tejon. Just think about what everyone's missing.

Ha
Ha:detecting:

Tesoro machines are just a pleasure to use!

Candycane,
Sounds like your getting into the swing of the Tejon,
I Am new to Tesoro detectors as well, i am using the Vaquero, was using the Terra 50,
I am no expert but i can tell you i hit a 20 cent coin in wet sand at 15 inches on cottesloe beach in WA, bottle tops are coming in at 8 plus inches,
I know for a fact i would not of hit a lot of the Targets with an Extra 50, could of Disced out the junk i know, but digging in sand is scooping with your hand here,
All the Best
Holey D

That's because they actually do what there supposed to do. Nothing super natural. Just good performance. That's all I need.

HH

:tesoro: I'VE USED FISHER, BOUNTY HUNTER, AND I'VE ATE MINELABS FOR LUNCH WITH MY TEJON. I CAN DIG 5 BUTTONS BEFORE THEY EVEN TURN THEIR MACHINE ON. MINELAB MEANS ONLY IN YOUR MIND.

i'm not going to say the others detectors are junk because they all have their strong and weak points. i will say that for me i have never owned a detector that went as deep as the tejon, and was as easy to use. for being a beep detector they can tell you so much about your target. the best detector in the world is between your ears. and tesoro gives you the information to make the decision. i have other brands TID detectors, but i dont think they give as much information as the tesoro does. they have a language all their own and once you learn it, in my opinion there is none better.

OK, you guys have my attention. I have heard the Tesoros are great relic machines. I have a DFX and an Xterra 70, and am not that good with either one although, personally, I like the Minelab better. If, say, the Tesoro has a single beep for all targets,(I guess that is what I am reading), how can I differentiate the good from the bad. Excuse my ignorance please, I also have a White's classic III that has single tone and I cant find nothin cept a bunch of trash with it. I have wondered what I might could do with a Tejon or Cibola. How can they tell you more than the TID detectors? If they can, I have been goin at it the wrong way and spendin way too much money. I had a long conversation with a well known dealer and he sure had a lot of good stuff to say about these machines.

I was told by an MXT user that a minieball around 8" starts to lose its ID and may start to sound like iron. Iron is not what I want to dig and in my opinion 8" is not all that deep, or is it? What do the Tesoros do around these depths. Again, I am relatively new to the hobby so I dont claim to know a lot about it:biggrin:

But I sure dont want to waste time with a machine that may not be as good as I think it should be. I just want a simple machine that finds stuff and will not have me half bald by the end of the day.

Hay Old Sox,

Number one is Quality Metal Detector Dedicated Headphones no mater what MD you use.

If you want depth that's hard to beat, Get a Tesoro Tejon. I doubt you can find a better relic machine.

My three cents worth,

[quote Old Sox]OK, you guys have my attention. I have heard the Tesoros are great relic machines. I have a DFX and an Xterra 70, and am not that good with either one although, personally, I like the Minelab better. If, say, the Tesoro has a single beep for all targets,(I guess that is what I am reading), how can I differentiate the good from the bad. Excuse my ignorance please, I also have a White's classic III that has single tone and I cant find nothin cept a bunch of trash with it. I have wondered what I might could do with a Tejon or Cibola. How can they tell you more than the TID detectors? If they can, I have been goin at it the wrong way and spendin way too much money. I had a long conversation with a well known dealer and he sure had a lot of good stuff to say about these machines.

I was told by an MXT user that a minieball around 8" starts to lose its ID and may start to sound like iron. Iron is not what I want to dig and in my opinion 8" is not all that deep, or is it? What do the Tesoros do around these depths. Again, I am relatively new to the hobby so I dont claim to know a lot about it:biggrin:

But I sure dont want to waste time with a machine that may not be as good as I think it should be. I just want a simple machine that finds stuff and will not have me half bald by the end of the day.[/quote]

boy that is the trick. usually TID detectors start losing accuracy at about 6 inches depends on ground. again depending on ground 8 inches can be deep. if it is highly mineralized then of course your depth is greatly affected. about the language. that is a partnership between you and the detector meaning learning all of its quarks. the discriminator on the tesoros is a, analog type, its adjustable range is allot broader than a digital one. so on the tesoros you can set the disc. to just bearly crackly on a nickle and hit solid on a pull tab. even though its just a beep, one tone, it has many expression it can give you. for instance a crackly, a pop, a long beep, a short beep. a loud response, a quite response, a double beep, and of course these things can happen in any combination even though it is a single beep it will act different depending on what you are encountering. with mulitones there usually is just tones and no expression in the tones that's where the information is. . the learning curve with the tesoro is learning what its telling you. i am saying this allot lately but the best detector is between your ears. there is no detector out there that has the computing power of the human brain. the greatest success one can experience is getting a detector that gives them the information they need then the person making the decision through experience to dig or not to dig. i like TID detectors and own several, but I'm finding myself using the beep more and more. they seem to me at least to be more relaxing and flow more naturally with my hunting style. the detectors you have are good detectors, but with TID machines we tend to rely on them to tell us what's there verses us determining thru experience and learning the machine inside and out. no matter what you own it can never be any better than the person using it. metal detecting is an involved hobby there is allot to learn, and it take time. those metal detector manufactures make allot of detectors that get sold and only used a few times. that is because it looks easy, but nothing is as easy as it looks. there are also techniques that are used to gather information these are the things that are learned thru experience and being around people who know it. I'm starting to get long winded so I'll quit, but that is the trick finding a detector that works for you. my personally favorite brand is tesoro, are they the best only for me. good luck and good hunting.

Thanks alot fellas, very informative and helpful. I will be trading for an Explorer very soon and looked at the possibility of getting a Tesoro of some sorts, maybe the Cibola if I can find one used. This is a very good post!

Hey Tabdog, where are you located. I am in the Northwest corner of Arkansas, it sounds like you may be from this state also.

Another good post KDC !

Tejon rules eh !!! :thumbup::stars::tesoro:

Ha Odl Sox,

Everybodies from the North West corner now days. There's no MD sales place around central Arkansas except Bounty Hunter. One hobby shop sales Whites but nobody in there knows which end to stick in their mouth to suck on.

I'm a retired/disabled surveyor and took up this hobby to get me into a healthy endevor and it requires the types of skills I've aquired as a surveyor.

Your the second fellow I've met on the forum form AR.

DC who posts on the relic forum is from South of here. he's a good guy.

There is some MDers around here, I know because I see their holes all the time.

HH

[quote SNOWY]Another good post KDC !

Tejon rules eh !!! :thumbup::stars::tesoro:[/quote]

hi snowy, not trying to taunt you into buying a tejon.:devil:

Well put kdc - an expression of one tone - analog that is - audio to the ears - Quality headphones and ears brings some of the best features. :beers:

[quote Old Sox]OK, you guys have my attention. I have heard the Tesoros are great relic machines.[/quote][size=medium]They can be, depending upon your definition of just what a "relic" is, or what "Relic Hunting" means to you.[/size]

[quote Old Sox]I have a DFX and an Xterra 70, and am not that good with either one although, personally, I like the Minelab better.[/quote][size=medium]My first comment is that if you aren't good with either of them, meaning by that if you're not finding good stuff with them, then location might be the #1 thing you need to address.

Secondly, if you don't feel you're good with them, and by that you mean you don't understand them that well and haven't yet mastered either one of them, then I'd suggest you work on doing just that. You should know the strengths of what you have and use, as well as the weaknesses, and by doing so you'll be able to know if a different make or model really offers something that you might benefit from and/or enjoy.

I DO have experience with both of the models you mention, and of the two I favor the Minelab X-Terra 70 by far! I AM a White's fan, however, I am NOT a fan of the DFX by any stretch of the imagination. I've owned a few and they never came close to matching the overall performance I got with their XLT or XL Pro in my hunting environments and very mineralized ground.[/size]

[quote Old Sox]If, say, the Tesoro has a single beep for all targets,(I guess that is what I am reading), how can I differentiate the good from the bad. Excuse my ignorance please, I also have a White's classic III that has single tone and I cant find nothin cept a bunch of trash with it.[/quote][size=medium]As for the Classic III, I'm sorry to hear that. The Classic III SL, and the IDX Pro which uses the same basic circuitry and has the added TID display and necessary circuitry, have been, and are, some of the best multi-purpose detectors I have ever owned. My IDX Pro is my constant companion, and I regret parting with my Classic III SL last spring. I'm in search of another to which I'll affix a 4" 'Snooper' coil for working the trashier challenges.

My IDX Pro keeps a 6

[quote tab-nabit]Well put kdc - an expression of one tone - analog that is - audio to the ears - Quality headphones and ears brings some of the best features. :beers:[/quote]

that is the reason why i believe it can tell you more. the TID cant learn but we can. the analog has the ability to express every subtle change which gives us more information to learn and go by. good ears are a definite, and reading montes post got me sold on a pair of killer B's. also. which also i dont know how i did without. being cheap would spend the money on the detectors but would not on headphones. with beep detectors good headphones are a must. i''m a believer!:detecting:

i have a cortes which you can kind of use it both ways, and i have other brands TID's detectors also, so i dont want to come across like i'm bashing TID,s. i like them and depending on time frame will choose one of them. but if i have a good amount of time to go and enjoy myself, i will choose the beep everytime.:beers:

[quote Old Sox]Thanks alot fellas, very informative and helpful. I will be trading for an Explorer very soon and looked at the possibility of getting a Tesoro of some sorts, maybe the Cibola if I can find one used.[/quote]

[size=medium]I started the lengthy post last night, got tired (I'm a slow typist) and just finished it. Now I read that you're going to get an Explorer. To that I can say ... GOOD MOVE! As long as you know what it will do for your the others don't that you have. I have a lot of detecting friends, in several states, and six or seven of them use a Minelab Explorer II or Explorer SE almost exclusively. But they almost exclusively hunt old grassy parks and "greens', grassy schools, courthouse lawns and private yards in search of silver coins, mainly. They'll take other targets that meet the criteria, but for the most part they rely on the Explorer's TID (both visual and audio) to search for older, deeper coins, and go after anything that comes is as a half-filled depth gauge (usually suggesting it's over 3"). The Minelab Explorer has the best (most accurate at depth and consistent) target ID for such tasks and classifying targets that are in the 5" and deeper range. To them, and they are avid, serious detectorists, they sometimes hit on the DEEPER coins that often are at the 7", 8" and even an occasional 9" depth. They don't tell "fish stories."

This is the same sort of hunting I can do with an XL Pro, and I prefer the lower cost of the XL Pro and better balance and coil choices (and costs). Still, having owned 3 Explorer XS and 3 Explorer II's, I know that an SE will be in my future to use simply as a dedicate Silver Shooter.

Now, what do they use when they encounter a renovation site, or a super trashy ghost town, or maybe just want to do a little fast coin hunting (most of them don't but a couple of them do)? They use a modified White's Classic III SL, or a Tesoro Silver