Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ahhh!!! The Gorge..

Micheal_R

Staff member
Ah the Gorge

I do not understand how the water at the falls can reverse it's self...how does something like this happen? I enjoyed reading the part about you all finding that safe...kinda exciting. Finding the briefcase with the money in it was also exciting, but I wish that the police had not lost it or done something else with it. Did you ever figure out how the elephant tusk got in the water? Was this where you found that horse buggy that you told us about in another story? Mike, this story was a gold mine in that it consisted of several mini stories...I loved it! Thanks for posting this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Victoria where you and Alice lived before moving to Edgewood? How far away is it from your house? I think I would love to go there sometime.

You and Alice are just so honest, and that's a good thing. However, I consider myself a pretty good person, but I think I would have to go by the "finder's keepers" rule over the brief case, and MAYBE the elephant tusk! :lol:

Were the bathhouses there like the ones we have in Hot Springs? You can still go there and have a bath and massage. The bath water is from the hot springs that have been there forever.

I really enjoyed these stories. Glad you were in a talkie mood tonight.

One other thing that i will never forget. It's when you and Alice took me and Royal to the hot springs on top of the mountain. Just the silence and sereness of it all was just breath taking. I don't know why :confused:I NEVER took a photo while there. Did you? :)

it would seem a person carrying two passports would be up to no good.i don't know how long ago that happened but your due 8000 dollars in my view.mike is that a mix of fresh and salt water or is it just where the ocean moves inland a bit?

I never did figure out why she liked to do something like that while the rest of us just took a bath or shower at home, or in the summer we would on occasion go down to Leon Creek with a bar of soap. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

my life, and have only done it twice. I am a bit too shy to be letting some other person give me a bath! :lol: But that swedish gal that gave me my first massage made me feel like a wet noodle! She would you to! you'd be crying like a baby begging her not to stop! :rofl: Not to worry though, she'd let you keep your boots and hat on! :rofl:

When the ocean tide is rising, the levels in the Gorge rise accordingly. All of this water has to flow through this tiny twenty to thirty foot gap. That is why the flow through this gap is so strong.

The tusk.... I have no idea fred. I suspect it was dropped accidentally in the water when ships in the 1800s were delivering goods to the homes along the Gorge.

Many thanks for taking the time to read it.

Fair winds

Mikie

sure sounds like an interesting place! Thanks!

although he lives about 80 miles north of Victoria. I have no regrets about the tusk. The museum really appreciated it and I received several thank you letters from them. The money??? Well, I rarely have any dealings with them if I can help it now. If I find a wallet or such, I will contact the person.

Nakusp hot springs are just beautiful. When it snows and the air is so still, ..... that is out favourite time to go there. The evenings are best when everything is still. Hmmm.. It is supposed to start to snow with a few days. Maybe time for another trip. :)

Sunny skies

Mikie

There are a couple of small rivulets of fresh water at the head of the Gorge.where it widens out. However, they contribute so little to the total amount of water in the Gorge, compared to the ocean flow, that for all practical purposes, the Gorge is salt water

Calm seas

Mikie

n/t

But to get to Victoria entails a 9 hour drive with a 2 hour ferry run in there. Kinda a long run to go just for diving. However, our daughter still lives there so it gives us an excuse to go. :)

fair winds

Mikie

as a kid in the 50's. Wish we had known what treasures lay beneath. probably would have drowned ourselves trying!
Great post bud:thumbup:

n/t

With all that has gone on there over the years I can see why its loaded with goodies. Is it just dive able at slack tide or can you get away from the current and stay put? I would think lots of rings and stuff there is they swim. That tusk is a great find. Was it from a normal elephant we see today or from a woolly mammoth type? To bad on the leather case and the money. Being it had a weapon in the case I guess I'm not sure what I would have done. I'd like to think I would give it to them to do the right thing, but I've done that before with about the same results you had.

We have a a twin bridge set up in the town of Niantic here in Connecticut. Right on the ocean and the water does much the same there comes in between the bridges that are narrow in width up into the Niantic Bay. great spot for scallops and clams. Right at the bridges there are usually lobsters there in summer when the move onshore here. We used to go in at the bridges and ride the current and try to get them as we passed over them. We got enough to make it worth the effort to go. But it was like your deal there, you better get it on the first attempt as there was no second.

That really looks like a great spot. In that first picture, that boat with the stack on it, is that steam driven I wonder? We have a few around here that run in the summer in Mystic, Ct and they are steam, and also a few old one lung diesels types. There is a spot not to far from me that used to run one around the Willimantic river. I've gone there a few times looking for goodies but its pretty rocky and stuff seems to be down in between them. No real bottom to dig in or anything. This river fed the Thread mill here, still does but the mill was closed in 1956 so it just runs over the dams and not the spillways....

Thanks for taking us the adventure. Really interesting spot.

George-CT

The gun was found in the safe... not thr briefcase.. I basically gave up trying to get the money back... dealing with the never ending stalls just put me off. It left a bitter taste in my mouth for the cops for a long time. I know that many are goos honest people, but the ones I got....

The museum told me it was an elephant tusk... I guess that it could have been a mammoth but how you could tell, I do not know. Either way, it was a pretty important part of Victorias' history so I felt on pleasure at letting them have it.

I still have my Gorge Park bath tokens. They are so rare as to be almost unpriceable. However, I would never sell them.

Those old boats were almost exclusively steam driven.

In many ways I do regret leaving the Island. My love of the ocean is well known and the history that can be found is altogether remarkable. However, Victoria is become a zoo with unlimited growth and rising traffic, crime and social problems. Some people can live in those conditions..... not me.

We opted for a far simpler life and would not change it at all.

Calm seas

Mikie

I grew up on the ocean in Groton/New London in a boat yard. But much like where you were, it just got more populated that you could not move for 3 hours in the am and same in the afternoon from traffic out of Electric Boat Corporation. They build all the subs. Everyone went to work there out of school and I lived about a 1/2 mile from the south yard waves where they launched the Nautilus. The next one the Seawolf I swam out to the pilings and watched it from perhaps a 100 yards away. I have a block they used to support it while on the waves and saved it all these years. Groton was a Navy town, and always alot of people moving about. My wife grew up there also. Fact she lived about 100 feet from me growing up. She was a lot younger than me so I knew her but only to say hi. Later in life we met up again and have been together ever since. We new the same people, yet both wanted to be in the country. So here we are. Only 40 miles north of where we grew up but world of difference. No industry in this area and mostly old farms. They had a farm there also but again, the housing just kept crowing in and then once they moved it next to you, they complain that the horse makes noise, draws flys, or what have you. We like it here, but 30 years later even here its building up pretty fast now. Prices are better here than the rest of the state, Sad part is the developers are buying up the old farms and turning them in to big housing developments. We have turned down a lot for this place a few times now, but there may well come a day, when we can't handle the place and we will let it go.... Time will tell. As long as we have horses we are here. When Jane can't toss a leg over a horse then we will discuss selling seriously.

I miss the ocean also and go down there as often as we can. I still love the smell of the salt air and to be there during storms and here the power of the waves on the rocks. Get the seagulls to screaming and its heaven to me. Yet to expensive to live there now. Water front is over 1000 bucks a running foot on the shoreline, then it depends on if its deep water port, shallow or skiffs and or view....Gets crazy....

Those tokens must be interesting also from a time gone by. At a place called Ocean Beach in New London, they had them also but I've never found them in the water or sand, but others have and like you they treasure them from the Flapper timeline.... The 1038 hurricane really hammered that area and much of the waterfront was lost. Fact if you google New London, 1938 hurricane there are pictures of how hard that area got hit.

George-CT

I will snap a shot off of those tokens and post it in the next day or so.

Snowing tonight [first of the season]. This time it looks beautiful... After one or two times of cleaning.... well that will be enough.
:)

fair winds

Mikie

n/t