Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice on hunting in the woods?

YES! My favorite place to hunt :). Do the trails and the small trails leading off the big trails. When doing trails, swing predominantly on one side going one way, then the other on the way back. Hunt along creeks. If you run into an area where 3 or more trails intersect, grid that whole area. Hunt areas where there are flat spaces with tree knocked down. I find (what were busy places years ago) areas by hunting with no discrimination, which alerts me to places with lots of bottle caps, rusty tin cans and buried aluminum foil. These are good signs of old pic-nic places. If the bottle caps have remaining cork underneath them, you have hit a prime area. Use the imaging, depth and discrimination to your advantage to help find decent targets.
<center>

I think John offers good advice. All metal is great. In my area I am on the lookout for iron hits. Square nails are an indication of activity more than 150 years ago. Just be careful with your swing. My buddy just did this yesterday against a tree! Of course Minelabs are nowhere near as tough as Garretts! :)

Thanks for the ideas. We have a large park in Garland with a 3 mile walking trail. I think I will get off the grass and hit the wooded
area.

Thanks John, I am going to check out the woods by my house this weekend. Didn't even think about the nails Neil, I'll have to look for them. I will repost with my findings.

[quote Neil in West Jersey] Just be careful with your swing. My buddy just did this yesterday against a tree! Of course Minelabs are nowhere near as tough as Garretts! :)[/quote]More reason to buy a :garrett::thumbup:

I find oddball stuff, but usually when i start finding old hinges, doorknobs, nails, that means something has been there, it's a fun thing, usually not real good stuff but old and odd :)

Yea, I can't stand those things.. Most I see are "lone star" ticks.
What I do is stretch my socks up over my pants, and wear light
color clothing. That way you can see em when they crawl up your
legs, and keeps them from crawling up inside the pants legs.. :shocked:
I'll also check myself pretty close every few hours to make sure
I don't miss one.
Unlike the big snakes, those are kind of hard to draw a bead on
with my .40 cal pistol.. :shrug:
Like dirtdiggler, I pack a weapon out in the sticks these days
if I'm on my own property. I had a run in with a large black jaguar
last Sept, and also had a pack of wild dogs blow through my property
last summer.
After that, I decided to start packing.. I'm in a very remote location
when I'm up in OK, and if I got attacked by an animal, my carcass
probably wouldn't be discovered for months.
Also lets me sleep a bit better knowing any two legged animals
will be having a bad night if they decide to bother me out there. :goodnight:

Snakes aside...I am gonna be searching a wooded area waaaayyyyy out in the middle of nowhere, alone, so if I start to hear banjo's, I won't have to worry about some toothless hick telling me I have a pretty mouth

[size=medium]
I live across the street from a forest preserve here in Chicago, my aunt told me that when she was in the girl scouts back in the 50s they used to have weekend camp-outs there. I know people go and hangout in the woods, I used to do it back in high school. It has running paths, sport fields, and everything, I got my first MD after Thanksgiving (ACE 250) I'm going to hit it up once the ground thaws out. Also, I have never seen anybody with a MD in the woods either. So the way I figure, I will have the run of the place!!! If you ever fly into O Hare Airport, look out of the window right before you land, you can see the spot, Des Planies River Forest Preserve. I know from my own personal experience that there is a high amount of beer caps and tabs there (high school), but what the hey. I'm sure I will have a great time getting into this hobby.​
[/size]

I guess tieing or putting rubber bands around the pants legs and ankels will help keep them out to some extent!
Not good for the circulation though.
RR