Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ADVENTURES IN PARADISE.

AuzeeSheila

This is about our first prospecting day trip.

We were here at last, out in the bush, ready to find Eldorado.

Scary thing, that mineshaft ! Kellie certainly has the makings of a trooper. Can't help but think she's taken after mom ? Just a hunch though. :) Great story Sheila ! Hope to read more of em' ! :thumbup:

i remember mines on the sides of hills in southwest arkansas when i use to visit a buddy from school who moved there,don't remember what they mined but we were always reminded to look out for them.vegetation can take back over pretty quick.

as I was reading it I thought Kellie was your dang DOG:surprised: She is your daughter I finally figured out. You had mentioned her before but for some reason as I was reading this I had put four legs and floppy ears on her. Send her my apology :(

Those old mines are interesting but dangerous. We have them in Northern Michigan and I have seen them in Arizona.

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Now you just gotta start hauling a camera around with you:thumbup:

Thanks fellas, sorry I didn't specify that Kellie is my daughter Royal, for future reference, our (sons) dog is called Cooper.

We did take photo's but, due to the fact that the sun was over the hill, the mine is just a black hole in a mostly shady background and I don't have sufficient know-how to get them on here.

Yes Royal, those old mines are quite well hidden once the scrub has grown around them, sometimes you have to fossick very carefully around them.

We went out detecting locally last week and it was hard to keep our heads down to watch where we were going because there were so many gum trees around, which have no foliage at ground level, and they were close enough together that some rather large spiders had built webs at face/head level wherever there were two trees up to ten feet apart. UGH . . I hate spiders and their sticky webs! Once you walk into them, you're never quite sure where the spider ended up. I think I might take my X-terra 70 to the beach this weekend and try treasure hunting for a change. All the tourists are in town for the 4 day Easter holiday.

Sheila.

Can you tell us more about these mines that are hidden? What type of cattle were those that ran past your daughter? Did you encounter any snakes back in the brush? Can you tell us more about these type of adventures down there where you live? Thanks for posting this story, I really enjoyed it, but as usual, my pea brain started working and I wish I could read more. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Are they very big? Would they be similar to a South Texas "Bull" spider? You folks sure have some neat and interesting things to do down there where you live. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

The mines we find Kelley, (boy it's hard to type a name I'm so familiar with, in a different way) are from the gold rushes in the 1900's. About the same time as gold was being discovered in California and Alaska, there were the same type of gold rushes here. In fact, a lot of the miners over there came here in their thousands, including Chinese directly from China. The main rushes here in Queensland were at the Palmer river way up north and Gympie (1867) about an hour (60 miles) south of here. There was a working mine operating in the middle of the town until recently, it is now a museum.

http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/QLDGympie.shtml

The history books tell us that there were so many miners that, as soon as the news of a new find got out, all the miners would set out on foot or by horse/wagon from one site for the next. Sometimes they would find a nugget as they walked and then a new rush would start. Local maps have many abandoned mine sites on them and I wonder how they found these places in the first place, they are so far off the beaten track, on the way to nowhere. The mines we saw were on the sides of steep hills which led down to the creeks. Apparently they lived in the mines while they dug them out. I would have been afraid of the water which would have filled them when it rained heavily, as it does here during the summer, along with the snakes which are very mobile in the hot weather. The mines would have provided a cool place to work, if nothing else.

We have been fortunate so far Kelley, not to have met any snakes, touch wood.

The places we go to are on private property which is used for grazing cattle because it's no good for anything else. If you go to this site you will see a list of the different types of cattle bred in Queensland:-

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/beef/2222.html

You will probably understand the information much better than I do.

I hope this answers some of your questions Kelley, if not, ask away.

Sheila.

The picture of the cows at the top of the article, on the far right is a red color cow...this is similar to the cattle that we raised on our ranch in Gonzales County, Texas. The breed was called "Red Brangus." That picture of the red cow shows some "ear" and may be a form of a Red Brangus.

We use a similar approach like you folks in the cattle business. What is important is that the cattle must be fitted to the land and usually is referred to as frame score. Also important is birth weight and ease of a heifer giving birth. We refer to one unit as being one cow/calf and determine how much grass it takes to support one cow/calf unit. When on native grass, it may take up to 30 acres to support one cow/calf unit, but if grazed on Coastal Bermuda Grass and rotated properly, you may be able to place one cow/calf unit per two acres. This is probably boring to most of the folks on the forum...time to stop this discussion as per se. What I need to do is start writing some ranch stories again, stories about my horses and cattle.

It is now late, but in a few minutes, I am going to click on the link about the gold mines. I want to read it before I get some shut eye, but may not respond until tomorrow. I do appreciate you posting the links...Thank you! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

You are probably right about the Brangus Kelley, although I don't have an educated eye for cattle, they all look alike to me. I know that we have Brahman, Friesian, Jersey and Angus but whether they are beef or dairy is beyond me too. They have been cross-breeding different breeds to get the best meat from the country they are raised in for a long time now. I was surprised to hear, a while back, how much land was needed to produce just one beast but, with the type of fodder around during droughts, it probably takes even more than 30 acres for 1 beast.
Sheila.

I had not idea what a unit was and how much land it took to feed one. I met a woman in Montana at a hotdog stand and as we were chatting she told me her ranch was 300000 acres. I was stunned by the size but she said that was the average size around there. It was like a dang desert. It was near Ruby Ridge.

Also in Montana we were eating in a small diner. I might have told this. There was a bunch of older men clad in range gear, having their morning Coffee. They were talking about jury duty, which one had to report to the next week. They were mumbling about the time it took away from the ranch and this one old fart setting there said that he had to report three times the year before because his ranch was in three counties!! I will never forget that. I don't know how big that dang ranch was but it was bigger than my dang lot!

Everything is interesting

Excellent story Shiela... There is an olde mining town on Vancouver Island up on Mount Sicker. There are holes and shafts all over that place and it would be easy to find yourself in one if you are not careful.

Founf my very first pre 1900 coin there back , oh so many years back.

Calm seas

Mikie

You didn't mention whether or not you checked out the mine you two almost fell into? I thought you were hunting gold not punching cows.:biggrin:

Cheers Hon,

BDA:cool:

n/t

That is a new word for me and one I intend to use from time to time if its ok with you and Kelly. I really liked the story and looking forward to reading part 2. What is a good difinition of "gobsmacked".?? Bubba2

In my last post I said I would look forward to reading part 2. Well I was gobsmacked and didn't realize there was not a part 2 but a page 2. Loved your story and hope to read some more outback adventures. Bubba2

Hi bdahunter, we didn't set out to punch any cows, he-he, but I have found out since that they are so curious they would probably come over and taste us if we stood still long enough. Our staffy dog usually chases them off pretty quick, in fact we bought him an oilskin ( with sheepskin lining) coat to wear when it's really cold and he looks like a miniature bull when he's 'dressed.' We are hoping to turn him into a gold sniffer-dog eventually and then he can earn his tucker.
We are members of this site:- http://www.exploroz.com/Default.aspx and if you register (free) you can access our rig page and see photo's of our set-up and a better mine shaft entrance. Our user name is, Au-2 (or ay you two) and you might find a lot of interesting Australiana on the site.
Sheila.

Kelley, the spiders are Golden Orb weavers and they are quite large, not dangerous, but their web is very strong and sticks like glue to whatever it comes in contact with. You can read about them here:- http://www.amonline.net.au/factSheets/orb_weaving_spiders.htm
We have them here in our Mango trees and sometimes when it's windy and they are spinning their webs they get blown into the house and we come face to face with them in the most unlikely places, like the light switch when you go to use it. Mostly though, we get the common or garden variety 'Huntsman.' These spiders were used in the movie, 'Arachnid.'
Sheila.