Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A small South Texas Ranch...................

Kelley (Texas)

The rain is gone for the moment, kinda boring around here, so I grabbed a box of old photos and started looking at them. Goodness, these old photos sure bring back some great memories...those were some great days! Sitting here at this "Made in China" computer while struggling to write this story, I can not help but recognise that I have been very blessed in life, have had a good life...no regrets. I figured that some of you folks would enjoy seeing some of these photos.

This is the picture of our original ranch in Gonzales County, Texas on the day that we bought it...gosh, Debbie and I were in hog heaven. We went to the Dairy Queen for dinner and to celebrate! The house was not very big, and needed a lot of work...Debbie made me assure her that there were no wild animals living under the house. You can see the house in the distance.

[attachment 88546 OriginalRanchPicture.jpg]

This is a photo of some of our cows coming to the house for a snack. These are Red Brangus cows, registered and herd certified. We had our herd certified once a year so that if we had a "Bangs" outbreak in our area, we could still move our cattle unrestricted to auction or to buyers by private treaty.

[attachment 88545 DinnerTime.jpg]

This is a photo showing an area that we did some root plowing so that we could sprig some Coastal Bermuda grass. We removed Mesquite Trees and brush from this area. A Mesquite Tree will use four times the amount of water that a normal tree will use, so when necessary, we remove them. Also, Mesquite Trees have long, sharp thorns that hurt when you make contact with them...that is why we wear chaps when working cattle around areas with lots of Mesquite Trees.

[attachment 88547 RootPlowing.jpg]

I thought that this was a nice photo of a calf following the mama cow...do not remember where they might have been heading. In the background is a new stock tank that we had recently built.

[attachment 88548 Followtheleader.jpg]

This is a photo of some of our cows near our back yard...I do not remember much about this photo, but thought it was interesting. As I mentioned earlier, our herd consisted of registered Red Brangus Cows. The Red Brangus Cows fit the land good and we never really had a problem keeping the weight on them. So many folks have a tendency of placing a cow that is too large for the land and then wonder why they are in poor condition during times of dry weather.

[attachment 88549 NosetoNose.jpg]

This is a photo that I have just thrown in here...a picture of my horse named "Blueberry." I bought this horse when she was six months old, trained her myself, and was the only one to ever ride her until we moved to this city and sent "Blueberry" to my cousins ranch out near Castroville, Texas. My other two horses, "Tuff" and "Freckles" are also living at my cousin's place. "Tuff" is getting old and probably will not be around much longer.

[attachment 88550 MyhorseBlueberry.jpg]

Hope that you have enjoyed reading this unorganized story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

there are few folks who appreciate Ranch country more than i do! It just brings a flood of good memories. Have you got more? Thank you!:)

That is sure some Fllllaaaaaaatttttt land you got there. Sure is pretty but I bet it gets hot in the summer. You have had some kind of interesting life Fred and you are adapting to keep it interesting. I like that in a man.

Cold here today and they are forecasting some snow in a few days :( Big injin say, "Forecaster Lie"

i saw some the other day,don't see them often,or i don't notice them much,i think alot of folks just raised mixed breeds and angus but not to far from here they raise dairy cows and they have a big dairy cow center at sulphur springs,texas.my mother,who isn't as sharp as she use to be let a cow bite her on the finger about 4 or 5 months ago,she stuck her hand out towards the cow like she had a treat and the cow assumed her finger was it:biggrin:.never again she said,my brother-in-law lets a neighbor where their property is at run cows on part of their place.

you must have a lifetime of memories there,I think your horse sure is a beutifull animal,thanks again in letting us in your life. bye Orlando

Sure is flat there and looks pretty much rock free. Sure plenty of room for cattle and horses. Sure plenty of wide open spaces. I can sure see where city life would crowd you in after spending all those years there.

Nice looking cows for sure. Mostly up this way they are the jersey cows , or at least here locally. See others at the fairs but not in the fields here. Its getting hard to raise cows here they are telling me. The DEP of environmental protection here now says the cows can't go in the brooks for water or wade in them at all. So many restrictions that they keep them penned in pretty close quarters. I remember when we were going through Colorado we came across some way up in the mountains and there was a guy there riding a horse around.
check on them. You have to wonder how they ever find them all again. I don't know anything about cows other than they give milk.

Blueberry is a nice looking horse. You sure can get attached to them. I know when we loose one, or have to put on down for one reason or another, it sure gets to me. My wife worked with a vet for years so she is somewhat used to it, but I'm not.

Really some nice country that way. If your used to Texas, I doubt you would like New England. Tight quarters and seems like everything is just around another corner or over the next hill........Different for sure........

Nice pictures. Thanks for the post. Geo-CT

Lots of open land and fresh air. A beauty of a horse too.........that pic almost shows a bluish tinge to her color.......is that why she got her name ? As much as your memories must tug at you Fred, ya wanna know what touched me most from this post ? It was when you said that Deb and you went to Dairy Queen to celebrate. That's Grace's and my style as well and to be honest, it's always the "little" things that remain fondest between her and I. Thanks for sharing this part of yourself. :)

Our small farm can hold nothing to yours. There are times I am very envious of your area with it's history and open spaces. Close to the ocean too.

fair winds

Mikie

On and off for the past year I have been slowly, but surely, posting them to the computer. I have a long, long way to go...I have not even looked at all the photos yet. Wayne, there are lots of ranches up there in Canada too! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

cold weather. Push comes to shove, I really do not like cold weather as per se, but then again, I have not really been around much cold weather. When working out in 100 plus degrees, you just have to make sure to drink plenty of water. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

in the hot weather down here in South Texas. A Red Brangus is a cross between an Angus and Brama cow and is extremely tolerant to the heat and they have small birth weights which is good for a first time heifer giving birth. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I use to run across some at the San Antonio Rodeo and Stock Show...they were always polite and enjoyable to be around. I also met a few out at Billy Underwoods place and must admit, they are very good a roping calves. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Every small town has a Dairy Queen and that is where you gather to visit with other folks. It seems like the folks from the big cities go to the fancy cafes or go to McDonalds or Burger King...for some reason, they seldom eat at the Diary Queen. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

or the West Texas mountains. I think that I would enjoy seeing the New England area...love to see the pictures of the homes which are so different from ours down here in South Texas. I do hear tell that you folks have more folks per square mile, but I guess with gas prices being high, it is nice not having to drive long distance to go to the grocery store. From all the pictures that I have seen of the New England area, everything is kept so neat...everything is so green and so many tall trees! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

not well organized as when you post those boat stories. Your stories have always fascinated me...all the different size and types of boats up there where you live. I would like to mess around with a boat, but really have no desire to go very far out to sea after seeing that movie named the Perfect Thunderstorm or something like that. I would not want to encounter a large tital wave that would flip my boat over like it did in that movie.

Also, Blueberry is a seal brown color and the photo just makes her appear to have a blue tint to her color. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have seen some pictures of ranches in Canada...they are beautiful, just like the area where you live. As a bonus, you folks have the large, exciting type of animals...bears, moose, wolves. We have the lowly coyote and ferral hog...not very exciting type of animals. Wait a minute, we do have the rattlesnake, but that is not classified as an animal and I kinda wish that Noah had left if off the bill of lading when he loaded the ark when it started raining...they are nasty and mean tempered things and serve no purpose other than causing problems for folks and animals. Mike, thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

they may eventually be where you live. You give those nasty rattlesnake an inch and they will take a mile, once you have them, they will never go away. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Loved the pics and story Fred....I can certainly see how you must miss it all....(Except possibly the Rattlers!}