Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A motorcycle ride to "LBJ" Country...............

Kelley (Texas)

Saturday morning started as normal, did a few chores around the house, but then I started getting bored. I did a few things to tease Debbie, but she was not in the mood and sorta got a little mean...I decided that this was a path to destruction, my destruction, and time to cut her some slack and save my hide at the same time. I decided to go for a bike ride, maybe ride up to Johnston City, Texas and eat some lunch, hopefully some fried catfish. I really had no other plans, just ride up there, eat lunch and come back home.

I put gas in the bike, put the thermos of coffee and the camera in the saddle bags and headed for the open roads...freedom, and hopefully fried catfish for lunch as a bonus. Goodness, the traffic was heavy, more so than normal...Farm Road 3009 looked like an interstate highway, but I was alert and doing just fine riding with the flow of traffic. I turned north on Highway 281, Johnson City now just forty-five miles away.

When I arrived in Johnson City, I was shocked to find all the cafe's parking lots packed to the gill. My favorite cafe was packed full with a wait of almost an hour before being seated...this was nonsense as far as I was concerned. Well, I decided that I was not going to be eating catfish and walked out to my bike, trying to decide what to do next.

After a few moments, I decided to ride west on Highway 290 towards Fredericksburg, Texas...I remembered an old post office with an old wooden Indian on the front porch. I figured it would make a good picture to share with my friends on the Forum. This post office was located at Hye, Texas which is about ten miles west of Johnson City.

I arrived at Hye, Texas and saw the old post office. I was disappointed in the photo that I took, it was sorta on the dark side and it is difficult to see the wooden Indian on the porch. This post office is also a general store and was built in 1904...it is still in operation today. I was delighted to discover that this post office gained national attention in 1965 when President Lyndon Johnson used the front porch of the post office as the setting for his appointment of Lawrence F. O'Brien as the United States Postmaster General. Also, President Johnson mailed his first letter from this post office when he was four or five years old. I felt strange walking on the same porch that President Johnson had walked on in 1965.

This is the photo of the Hye Post Office and General Store.
[attachment 88160 HyePostOfficeandGeneralStore4-19-08.jpg]

Realizing that I was near the old Johnson Ranch, I decided to drive over in that direction to see if I could find some good sites to photograph. Not too far away, maybe five or six miles, I spotted this beautiful old church. While I was taking the picture, I was approached by the Pastor of the church...he wanted to know what I was doing. I told him that I was taking a picture of the church and the surrounding area. He told me that President Johnson had attended services at this church on occasion.
[attachment 88159 Hyechurch4-19-08_3.jpg]

When I was getting ready to leave the church, the Pastor told me that the Texas White House was just a few miles up the road. near Stonewall, Texas, on the north side of the Pedernales River. He said that the complete ranch house would be difficult to see because of the trees, but to look for the flags and a large Oak Tree. The Oak Tree was over four hundred years old and President Johnson served barbecue to world dignitaries under this tree. This house has always been closed to the public, but now that Lady Bird Johnson has passed away, it will be opened to the public for the first time in the near future. I finally found the ranch house, but could not get a very good picture of it...I had to use the telephoto lens and most of the house was indeed hidden by the trees. Not shown in the picture is the Pedernales River which was between me and the ranch house...sorry, I did not think at the time about taking a picture of the river, which I will explain later in this story. I was surprised to find a few folks fishing in the river, but I do not know if they had caught any fish.

This is the photo of the Texas White House. Please note the large old Oak Tree behind the ranch house.
[attachment 88162 TexasWhiteHouse4-19-08.jpg]

Folks, at this time, I was getting a little light headed from lack of eating lunch and it appeared my sugar count was starting to act up. That is one reason that I did not think of taking a photo of the Pedernales River. I pulled over at a rest stop and drank the coke that I had brought with me for just this type of situation. I did not stay at that rest stop very long because the tree worms were everywhere...I flicked one off my bike and then stepped on it...time to get away from here. These are nasty worms and they eat the leaves on trees. I did notice lots of birds at this rest stop, just another reason to leave as quickly as possible before one of the birds used my bike as a restroom. I headed back to San Antonio, stopped to rest a couple of times, and arrived home safely. I really enjoyed myself, especially knowing that I walked on some of the same ground that President Johnson had walked on. This was where he was born, grew up, and attended college nearby in San Marcos, Texas. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

it looks like your having a great time,keep posting,will read again later,my eyes are tired. see you oj

would have missed it for sure. Did you see the bird house in it? I think the bird was setting eggs too!!

Here is a google of Hye

[attachment 88175 Hye-Texas.jpg]

That wooden Indian's on the right side of the first pic......in front of the glass. Talk about a piece of nostalgia ! :cheers: And then the best part.......LBJ's stomping grounds ! Would that ever be neat to picnic under that oak tree. Truly fascinating stuff Fred.......you've got some great history in your neck of the woods. :)

[attachment 88177 injin.jpg]

And some great history all around you. I bet when the home opens to the public that would really be interesting. To add to that, LBJ was the first President I ever saw in person. I was around age 14 or 15 and I was riding my bike from our home to my fathers boat yard.
I passed right passed the front gate of General Dynamics or Electric Boat Sub build yard and low and behold the cops and a lot of people were there. I inched my way thru when all of a sudden, here comes this big limo with people kinda trotting along next to it. As it gets right even with me, maybe 6 feet away, there is LBJ waving at the crowd. I waved back and they stop for a few seconds before the moved. Could of been someone be hind me, or he had dust in his eye, but I swear he winked like and raise a finger as if to say HI. Matters now, I took it that way. He was there for the launching of a Nuke Submarine. I preceded on and could not wait to tell my father.
Hey Dad, I saw the President. He seemed impressed and mention he had never seen one in person either. I can still see that image of him sitting there with the wink and finger pointed at me.

I can just see him out there under the old oak trees or wandering around with his dogs. Neat stuff.

Sounds like you had a great ride. I stay out of the towns on weekends. I prefer to do my site seeing on week days when every one is working... Less crowds, if any, and less traffic as they are all at work....

I wonder if the tree works are anything like our gypsy moth invasions here. In the worm stage they eat everything in site with leaves on it and there will be millions of them. They make the place in summer look like the dead of winter. When the march across the roads, the roads will be slippery from them. They seem to run in cycles and we have not had a lot of them in the last few years.

Thanks for great post and pic's. Very enjoyable and good memory jogger.

Geo

I love the old church.. But I like any old buildings..

I am just getting used to this high speed stuff.. Hopefully I will be able to continue.

Calm seas

Mikie

n/t

that took forever to download when using the old way dial up connection. I am happy for you...you will have so much more fun now! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

He was born near Stonewall, Texas and grew up in that area which includes Johnson City and Hye. The Texas Hill Country was a poor area of Texas and did not get electric service on a grand scale until the 1950's...thanks to LBJ. The folks never forgot it and to this day he is highly respected and you seldom hear anyone in that area say anything bad about him. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I still can not believe that I walked on the same porch that President Johnson walked on...it was a great experience. There is more to see up in that area and I hope to return for more pictures of sites that I missed. I really did not plan to do any of this on this bike ride, really only wanted to eat some catfish. Funny, but I almost left the camera at home. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Sorry that the original picture was so dark. I was not using the camera that I usually use because I again did not charge up the batteries...I ended up using a back up camera. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

most folks did not see the bird house about half way up the tree on the right side...you did good! :rofl:

I wonder how old that air photo is of Hye, Texas? Would you do me a favor and e-mail me the link to that site? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

and then taking some photos...lots of history in this area. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

a different type...you folks have sea history along with many related historical sites. I have always enjoyed your sea stories, they fascinate me! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

http://earth.google.com/ and if you have a high speed connection to the net, download the program and you just type in the place name, right down to the address, and it will take you right to it. You can tilt the map so you get a 3D effect and it is free. The entire world is there. No magic to it, just download the program:shrug:

so that I could produce better pictures. One of these days I will learn how to swap heads on folks, like you have done in the past. My other photo goal is to learn how to make macro bug pictures like Royal has posted...he takes fantastic photos! Thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)