Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A lucky few!!!

n/t

Mike, Sounds like you have some great machines and as mentioned before, what I said was not a bash at all- to any particular brand of detector in the least. As I own, many top of the line machines myself, all I can say- is what I already said before that the Vaquero and Cibola, really are a great combination to get into heavy iron and pull some really good finds.

Oh I agree with you on most of what you've been posting and I didn't take any of it in a bad way, hey, I'm thicker skinned than that!
And ... I hunt with Tesoros too among several other brands as they all have their niche. I'm only brand loyal to a degree, if it works for a particular site I use it, if not, I pick up something else, no matter who's name is on the label.
All of my GRAY hair came from raising kids and the Ex wives that came and went with it, not from the forums or any post. :thumbup:
Best Regards & H.H.
Mike

Hi Christian,
I like your nail & coin test. Had a B2mm and now the Vaq. I also own two high priced TID units. Yes one of the TID units won't get that coin since it nulls on iron :)
Air test is an airtest...in my bad soil I can't find silver as deep as an air test. It is possible that some of our machines don't see the deeper silver but the nail...
Iron especially nails tend to bleed and leave a bigger iron patch and even if you set your disc to reject iron nail, the larger iron signal may sound off...it is possible that in some of the digs, it is the iron you see and we are just lucky that there is a coin underneath :).
I think we dig enough holes that sometimes it is this accident and not the better discrimination that is really happening. Not bashing the machines as I love both brands. The Tesoros are the relic units I love in trashy sites and haven't found any other brand better in trash. Peace brothers :)

First off I've owned Tesoros since circa 1980. I currently own a Stingray II, so I am a member of "the Club" in good standing.

Your challenge and interpretation of the results don't tell the whole story. The reason the Tesoros "pass" the test, is because of how loose their iron filtering is. What this means in practical terms is that while searching in thick iron for those nickels, is that you will hear constant pops, clicks, and snaps that you won't hear with machines that reject the iron cleanly. Now if people run out and buy Tesoros expecting to have the same silent hunting in iron they enjoyed previously, then you are going to be one un-popular poster.

I had a Tejon for a year and used it in mild freshwater beach sand, so mineralization was not a factor. You can read part of my review here:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,64466,64466#msg-64466

And further a more regimented masking test was performed here:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,241421,241421#msg-241421

There's no free lunch.

HH
BarnacleBill

Research is something that is critical when one purchases a machine, or in fact locates area's for coins or relics. As I have said much about the Cibola, Vaquero- there is nothing in the world like having information substantiated by other individuals in similar, harsh ground settings. So based upon my previous posts, the "lucky few" and other's- this link substantiates much, if not everything that I have said. [www.garysdetecting.co.uk]

***This post does not bash any other machine in the least, neither any manufacturer of any machine either. Neither am I a dealer or distributer of any product from any company. I am just a person who likes getting results, and thus far have been fortunate since becoming an owner of these machines.

And not from a dealers web site.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,65277,65277#msg-65277

HH
BarnacleBill

Bill- I have to admit your research is great! Thanks for the good work and it is suprising how a little time can change things. In this case, I stand 200% corrected in what I wrote earlier!

Thank you! :)

Christian Davis had a good post that was worth sharing. He did say that he only had the standard coil on his Cibola (and that was what he rated poorly) but had a small coil (for working around iron) for the Explorer.

I think you can find good stuff in between iron if you had the correct coil size for the site and this is true for most good detectors. I've done quite well with my Bandido 2 uMax and like Christian, most of my best relic finds are in trashy sites. I'd say more than half were found with the small coil. Tesoros are very hot on brass!

n/t

The important thing is that you get out and enjoy the hobby. I believe that one can devise a test suited to one's detector, whichever the brand and it means squat.

Can your unit detect in iron disc mode a dime sandwitched between a rusty washer and a rusty nail but not touching each other? :)

Jackpine,

It read both the button in one whole with a nail, then it read a carved bullet in another. Then in a seperate area of the camp, it hit 7 or 8 percussion caps littered in between square nails. So I don't believe, anything- "Trust but verify"- and that is what I have done, and am doing.