Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A bigger and faster motorcycle...................

Kelley (Texas)

Yesterday, I sold my V-Star 1100 motorcycle and replaced it with a newer, bigger, faster, and heavier bike. Yesterday being Halloween, the only ride was the ride from the dealership to my garage. Well, this evening I gave it the first test ride...Wow! This thing is powerful and fast compared to my first motorcycle. I was disappointed in that I rode somewhat sloppy this evening, but I guess it is to be expected with a new bike that is not familiar to me. This weekend, I will give it a good road test on the back roads of the Texas Hill Country, may ride to Johnston City, then over to Enchanted Rock, and then head back south through Kerrville and then home...a total distance of maybe 175 miles.

This bike is almost brand new, has 2,000 miles on it. I will need to get a shorter windshield because this one is just a tab higher than I like, and I will have to see if the seat has enough padding for sustained cruising...I had to replace the seat on my old motorcycle. I will also have to replace the saddle bags with larger bags. Everything else appears to be great. It already has loud, performance pipes on it.

Slowly, but surely, the pieces are beginning to fall into place for a possible trip late next summer or the following spring across the United States and into parts of Canada. This bike is capable of making that trip safely and in reasonable comfort. I have been working on the physical conditioning part, but I did have a minor set back a few days ago due to a low sugar count while riding on a cool evening without a jacket. I will just have to be more alert and always carry a coke or something in one of the saddle bags.

I wonder if the folks in Canada and our northern states will know that I am from Texas...well, I guess they will know if they see the Texas plates on the bike. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 72039 DSC01446.JPG]

i think we will know your from Texas by the huge bike and Stetson shaped helmet;)
Enjoy man, you earned it!:thumbup:
Wayne

nice bike fred,thats a lot of weight to handle.i was never a good motorcycle rider,i always held on to the handle bars tight in case i hit a rock or something and it might start the front end to wigglin'.i think your just suppose to guide the thing and not hold on tight,i always was wore out at the end of the day.

my brother bought a 900 kawasaki in the mid 70's,i believe it was a z-1,they were a new model and could out run just about every bike,the police departments eventually switched from harley's to them.i got it up to 85 once real quick,that was enough for me.good luck with the new bike fred,hope you enjoy it:).

n/t

about motorcycles. Lucky for me, it was a great bike, but just a tab on the light side as it was what is known as a medium size cruiser. As I gained some experience and knowledge, it became apparent that a heavier and stronger bike would be best for long distance riding, especially when a fair amount of it would be on the interstate highway system.

David, living in the city has not been much fun for me...I just do not like it. As such, the motorcycle is my ticket to freedom and I must say that I have enjoyed riding one. Also, I am dead serious about this dream of riding across the country and into parts of Canada. In one sense, I guess that some folks may think that I have gone crazy with this dream, but I do not intend on spending the rest of my life sitting on the tail gate of my pickup truck watching the neighborhood kids play in the street or listening to Mrs. Morales talking about her flowers. The motorcycle riding and my dream is my effort to take control of my life and have having some fun again...put in a different light, it is my way of coping with this city living and having my freedom at the same time. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

That a Suzuki? I have the Yamaha Roadstar,1600. Heavy nice riding cruiser. Enjoy!

for sure. Some of my best memories are out on the bikes. Lots of chrome on that beauty to keep shining. Many happy miles and keep the shinny side up.

Fred, here a few survival tips from long time riders on different things they have run into over the years. We have it posted at the club.

http://www.mwmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c0399d8e0f9912f25b106c60b17df0db&page=4

George-CT

And all it eats is gasoline! I know you will enjoy that machine. As you get to know it better, you will enjoy it more--just like a real flesh-and-blood steed.

aj

i hope you get to do those things,i guess i probably would have to take a riding course like you did just to learn some things about how to handle one where it doesn't wear you out and you can enjoy it.make sure that blood sugars right:thumbup:

n/t

I was looking at a Yamaha Road Star when this bike became available at a good price. The Road Star is very popular down here in South Texas, as well as Suzuki and Honda motorcycles...naturally the Harley Davison motorcycles are always the favorite, but expensive. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

torque of the larger cc engine. Usually just wick it. If memory serves me right that model is fuel injected also.... Better than carbs especially with todays fuel. On the windshield. If its to high, a lot of the guys in this area have them cut down to what they want. Not hard to do or go to a glass outfit and they will do it. Those windshields are not cheap. As the weather cools, they are nice to get behind. I keep mind where I can just see over it if It move my head up a little but be pretty much bug free behind it. Its getting cold up this way now so now much riding going on except on those rare warmer days. I'm like a kid here looking out the window for the sun.
You are in to your good weather I would think. I like it between 70 and 80 degrees for riding. Over that on the highway for me and Its to hot. Been sick here for last 3 weeks so no riding at all. I hear it calling me but looks like another week before I can fire that baby up.
My buddy has the same bike. His only dislike is the 3.9 gallon tank. Usually at 120 miles he is looking for fuel. His has been trouble free. We have a few at the club also and again, trouble free. We will still ride as long as it don't snow. Once they sand I'm done until after the heavy spring rains clean the roads up, Usually sometime in April. Winter is when I do all the tedious stuff that I don't want to do in the sumer when I rather be on it. We pull a lot of the chrome and do and extra nice job on it, fuel filters, grease any and all places that need it but are hard to get at. Clean up all the electrical contacts. After that its dream of warm weather our ride thru you guys down south. My daughter wants me to come down to Charleston SC and ride with them on the bikes to Daytona and or Key West. Daytona is more to my liking. I would like to hit Sturgis SD one of these days. I'd truck it out and ride there. No fun from here to Chicago for sure. Hey enjoy that bike. Beautiful machine.

George-CT

I would love to hear about some of your trips riding a motorcycle. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have seen a few pictures of them....beautiful bikes, but very expensive. As a matter of fact, I do not know many motorcycle riders, but I see many on the roads and we wave to each other...sorta a side ways wave with two fingers in a "V". I have not seen anyone riding a Victory, most of the ones that I see are riding Harley Davidson bikes, or at least I think they are Harley Davidson bikes, most motorcycles look the same to me as per se. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t