Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

.338 win "lifesaver" part two........

Wayne in BC

The shock of the scene sent an adrenalin rush through me instantly, my mind was sorting through "what to do" kind of things as the Browning came to my shoulder with the safety flicked off and i stood there with the iron sights on the mass of bear, settling on the near shoulder. It seemed longer of course but maybe a second later the Grizzly turned to look directly at me and i also shouted.....get out of here you ###tard! The bear instantly spun, to his left and head down, charged toward me! Amazing how many things can go through your mind in a split second, i was wondering where and when to shoot as he covered half the 150 odd ft distance toward me in a heartstoppingly short time!

I had one round in the chamber and only two more in the clip, this was in part of my mind as i made the decision to shoot and, only a tiny fraction of a second before i fired, a gout of snow flew up in front of the Bear and the blast of Toms 30-06 registered on my mind. Knowing Tom to be an unusually cool and sharp young guy, it took only another fraction of a second to realise that he had fired to shock the Bear and confuse him into breaking his charge. It worked for me as the bear skidded to a halt, snow flying, skewed around and headed for Tom, hardly breaking stride!

I knew i had to shoot now, and quick, this Bear was definitely not bluffing as i had hoped, the angle toward Tom would grow shorter very rapidly and i had very little time to fire before i would be pointing towards Tom! I swung the front sight through and ahead of his shoulder, the recoil took my eyes off target for a sec, the next moment there was a cloud of snowdust as the bear did an endo and i was back on target just in time to see hair fly off his hump as he roared and tried to get up, but missing all the bones in his left shoulder and from the shock of the impact, he flopped around. The blast from Tom's rifle seemed to come in the same instant, his shot, in the "hump" (that was the hair flying) and though not fatal, knocked the big beast down again and my second shot, as he thrashed in the snow went through the base of his neck. I had been aiming at the shoulder again, for insurance, but got a bit too far ahead, it did the job though as the Bear collapsed twitching slightly.

Two more quick shots from a very excited but cool Tom, made more hair fly from the area of the Grizzly's head but did not bring any more movement from our "nightmare" and i yelled to Tom to stay put! Approaching after reloading quickly......(too badly spooked to take any chances), i was prepared to shoot all four legs off if he showed any sign of movement, he remained lifeless and we began to come down off the "rush" as we stood looking at the beast.

After some excited conversation, Tom said, wow! He sure was protecting that kill! I said, huh? What kill? And he explained to me that he had seen a couple of Ravens fly out of the patch of brush the Bear had been in, so had angled in that direction, knowing there must be something dead and with the curiousity of a natural hunter just had to take a look. With his riflescope he had spotted the leg of an Elk sticking up and was going to go look closer when the Bear stood up and Whuffed threateningly at him, which was the sound i heard. Tom had started slowly backing away but the Bear began coming toward him and he was trying to change its mind when i showed up.

The Bear weighed about 550 lbs, not huge but plenty big. It is not common for them to be a lot bigger than that, except on the northwest coast of Alaska and the Yukon (Alaska brown bears are actually a type of Grizzly) Most people can not help but overestimate their weight and size due mostly to their reputation.

It is quite rare to have a Grizzly actually charge, i have had them bluff and growl at me a couple times. When they are protecting a kill at that time of the year things can go bad real fast though. That is what killed a hunter in Alberta last fall, blundering into a Grizzly on a kill! "Our" Bear was one with a bad attitude and though we were sorry to kill him, it was necessary and a hell of a day! Interestingly, we had another Grizzly incident/experience in that exact same area two years later, involving Tom, me, and my youngest daughter on her first deer hunt. I will tell the story when i can.

As an afterthought, i suppose lady luck was smiling as i inadvertantly took the .338 that day and i still believe that big heavy bullet had a lot to do with saving our butts:D

Wayne

Had me on the edge of my seat. I have seen several Grizz, and even a few fairly close, but ,so far, none has ever charged me. And I hope it never comes to that. I was with a fellow up here up on the hills when we came acroess a grizz lying down on a half-burried cow. He was spead-eagled across it. Wish I had the camera at that point

Sunny skies, fair winds

M

very few problems. They do not usually cause much trouble if people are cautious, Black bears always caused me lots of grief, not aggressive but terrible thieves and niusances.
You gonna put out some bait so Fred can see Royal playing with the bears?:D
Hi Alice! :)
Take care buddy
Wayne

You know, disguise the human odour. Think he will buy it??? :lol:

calm seas

M

Then take a picture of him as he is running for the truck! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

This was as good, if not better than any that I have read in "Outdoor Life" or "Field and Stream." Thanks for posting this story, I loved it! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

his hair, he might believe it!!!:rofl::rofl:

Sunny skies

M

i tried to remember everything that happened, in order, but i am sure i left something out, it happened 20 years ago next month and......dang memory!!!...............what was that you were saying?:D

of your guide adventures! I bet you truly loved doing this and met all kinds of interesting people! Thanks for sharing this with us! More????? :)

...it with us here on the forum.

I have been reading one of my "huntin' magazines" this evening and actually read several stories of bears. But yours is the one that should have been in the magazine!

So, was the elk a fresh kill or rancid? Bull or cow?

So what do you do with a griz when you are 200 miles from nowhere? Do you just salt them down and pack them in a freezer or snow? How do you keep OTHER bears out of your kill?

Sorry for the questions? I just have never experienced a griz--yet.

aj

do anything with that bear, we did not even tell our families, kids can hang you real quick with one wrong word! There was no season on Grizzly in that area, we would have had to fill out a ton paperwork and the fish cops would have grilled us forever and tried to take my outfitting license away. They would not accept ANY reason for killing a Griz! If the Griz had killed us, well that would be okay.
The hide would have normally been salted and rolled up, then you would hope that you could convince a horse to accept it on his back.......tough to do! I have gotten a couple of my horses to pack out Black bears with a "scotch hobble" and some brute force :D But most any horse worth his salt will fly into a mad panic at the smell of a Grizzly!
The Elk was a cow and fresh.
Thank you Arkie:)
Wayne

I sure the heck don't look forward to ever experiencing it myself!

Thanks for reliving it with us...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

n/t