Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15 inch W.O.T. Coil and Explorer1 settings...have I got it right?

DIGGERBEGINNER

[attachment 18016 1804wreath.jpg]
[attachment 18015 1804wreath001.jpg]
NOTE: PICTURES OF COINS ARE NOT MINE....JUST HOPE TO FIND ONE LIKE IT SOME DAY!
Use your 15 inch WOT and only dig signals 8 inches or deeper.
Iron Mask -15 (-16 if your area is real clean)
Sensitivity: 28 for ex1 or 32 for exp2 (this is a start figure...adjust as necessary)
Ferrous mode (I prefer it you may not)
Deep on / Fast off
Gain: 7 OR 8 (this will go hand and hand with Variability to distinguish the sounds between different metals and denominations of coins. The reasons for using a higher setting is not needed here)
Variability: 7 or 8 (10 is 120 different sounds, 70 sounds at 7 to 8 is all I can handle. I don't need to hear the difference of a 1959 Lincoln to a 1960 Lincoln. At 7 or 8 you will hear the diff. between Penny's, dimes and nickles and quarters clearly better)
Limits: 10
Thresh hold tone: 5 OR 6 (In the menu above Variability)
Thresh hold: about 7 or one notch from going silent (on right of your screen)
Response: Normal (Audio 1,2 or 3 if you are used to them)
Volume: high as possible
Light: On (if it's dark) LIL
Noise cancel: Every time you make a program change or change to a new program or select a different saved search pattern....Every time you move to higher grounds on hills or lower into valleys, every 50 feet closer or farther away from power lines.Hold detector waist high and parallel to the ground till song and dance are over unless you are in water then have the coil under the water as close to the surface as possible, never have coil on the ground under water....If you don't believe me on this call a Mine Lab service rep. or Ralph at Sun Ray. DO NOT put coil on ground when balancing. You can be 3 numbers off of where you should be and more if under water. If high tension wires are to strong you will manually have to try different frequencies till you fine tune it in.....Crank the sens up to full amount when balancing and adjust down when song and dance are thru....
Pin Pointing: Use the cross hair method because the signal is strongest and more depth accurate right dead nuts in the middle 2 inches of the coil.
***Keep coil on the ground and sweep 1 1/2 to 2 feet a second in clean ground but you are walking forward much slower than that. WHEN A SOUND IS HEARD STOP AND INVESTIGATE FROM DIFFERENT ANGLES, THEN PIN POINT ONLY IN ALL METAL MODE IM -16,( -15 IS ALRIGHT). IF the TARGET is in the NAIL RANGE but DOES NOT MOVE LOCATION when YOU TURN 90 DEGREES in PIN POINT MODE and is DEEPER THAN 8 INCHES DIG IT. IF the CURSOR SAYS PULL TAB and it's 8 INCHES or DEEPER..DIG IT!...IF IT SAY QUARTER at 3 INCHES.....YOU BETTER DIG IT!!!
NOTE: Make sure coil cover was taken off and cleaned of iron dust...all connections are tight...probe wire is not dangling above coil....if your carrying a big shovel throw it over your schoulder, don't drag it...battery has a full charge.....keep an old silver quarter in your right boot....don't forget to take along water.....or beer!
NOW GO TO THAT PARK WITH YOUR 15 INCH COIL AND ONLY DIG EVERY THING 8 INCHES AND DEEPER NO MATTER WHAT YOUR CROSS HAIRS ARE SHOWING YOU (you can't trust your crosshairs over 8 inches, to long to explain now)......REMEMBER DIG 8 INCHES OR DEEPER ONLY! CAN'T DO THIS WITH A 8 OR 10 INCH COIL....YOU'LL FIND EVERYTHING EVERYONE ELSE COULD NOT with a 8 or 10 inch coil!
**** FOR A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF EXPLORERS GO TO WWW.DETECTORGEAR.COM AND READ THE OWNERS TIPS ON HOW TO USE THE EXPLORER.
Let me know if this works for you! DiggerBeginner...John Harvey in Mich...e-mail posted

Dave , Sorry but I DID NOT FIND THIS COIN. I just put it in for a coin I'd like to find and to share. I'm hoping and wishing that somday will come. But if it's hurtingly misleading I'll take if off. I'm new On the site and have't figured out how to add phrases or descriptions to the photo's. Nice to meet you, John

Coin I would most like to find is a 1795 $10.00 Gold piece,American of course.Love the look of the thing.Dave

If you are going to swing that 15 inch bad boy you better buy a bigger digger, one you can put your foot on!!!

Charles

PS: I found my 1798 large cent in the woods near a cellar hole with the WOT!

[attachment 18057 15000MS67.jpg]
I DID NOT FIND THIS COIN EITHER...I JUST LIKE IT! WORTH $15,000

Thanks Charles and how are you? I haven't been on the forums for about a year. You are well respected and I appreciate your advice.
If you feel like doing so I would and I'm sure all others out there would like to here some in depth stories on that cellar hole story and others. I really like the coil but have come to the realization that unless you hold it inches above the ground it's almost impossible to find shallow targets, so I'm only digging everything 8 inches or deeper that have repeatable signals no matter how faint. Not a lot of luck yet because I just had this epifamy..is that how you spell it? My stock 10 inch coil is screwy....After it warms up a loud audible consistent squeal comes out of the coil. Mine Lab is very interested in seeing this since they have never had or heard of this phenoninum..is that spelled right?..before. They want me to send in my whole unit including the probe and coil to experiment with it. But since I hunt throughout the winter I can bear to send it. I am stuck with only using my WOT for all my types of hunting. And you are right...I carry a BIG shovel. Where and when and how do you use yours?
Any info from you is appreciated! Thanks for your response. John..MI

I am with you on that I destroyed a perfectly good beach scoop at the beach using the WOT coil. Man that thing gets crazy depth but it is a bit heavy to swing.

So when you noise cancel with the detector held waist high what position should the coil be? Horizontal straight up and down or flat and parallel to the ground ?

Mike

See if you can find a pal nearby that has an Explorer, if your coil acts the same on his machine then its definately the coil. That the WOT works fine on your machine already suggests strongly that its the coil.

Hmmm wait a minute...just so I'm clear are you saying the coil is making the squeal or is this something you hear in your headphones? If its the coil be advised all my coils make an audible high-ish toned well I would not call it a squeal, but I wouldn't call it a hum either, I'd say its more like those tones they play when you get a hearing test. My custom coils do the same and I think that is normal operation.

You are correct with the WOT not liking shallow targets but it should be good for 3 inches or deeper.

The WOT is not your coil of choice up close to the cellar hole, there is typically a boat load of iron near the cellar hole, thats the realm of the 8 inch coil. But out on the parameter of the cellar hole (they were farms) there is far less iron and thats where I tend to use the WOT. This particular coin was found under a mouned pile of dirt and rock about 12 inches high. The coin was an iffy signal, I doubt the stock coil would have gotten a signal. It was down about 15 inches.

On depth I will say this, I used the WOT for like 2 years straight before my shoulder gave out under the weight. I have used my stock coil ever since and I never dig coins at the depths I did routinely with the WOT coil, its definately 2-3 inches deeper on small cent sized targets and I used to dig relics down 14, 15 inches with it. My deepest WOT finds, keeping in mind depth in our soil may be less or more than depth in other soil types...11 inches on a seated dime, 12-13 on a few large cents and one SL quarter, mini-balls down about 12 inches, shell casings in the 11-12 inch range. On the beach, its rediculous how deep it will go.

Oh and you butchered both those words but I can't spell the dang things either.

THE COIL WILL BE IN HUNTING POSITION. PRETTY CLOSE TO PERPENDICULAR TO THE SHAFT WHICH WOULD NAKE IT PERPENDICULAR TO THE GROUND ALSO. THE DETECTOR WILL BE POINTED OUT AWAY FROM YOU AND THE SHAFT OF THE DETECTOR PARALLEL TO THE GROUND. YOU CAN ROTATE IN A CIRCLE DURING THE SONG AND DANCE IF YOU WANT BUT KEEP IT PARALLEL AND WAIST HIGH. DB ..MICH.

Thanks Charles. The noise comes from the coil and is loud enough to hear clearly while my headphones are on and I'm detecting. The noise the best I can describe it is about the same that a 3 ounce mosquito would make. ...about depth with the WOT, that is what I am finding is that my depth meter is 3 inches one minute then off the scale the next with all these crazy sounds. I know it's me now and I have to just concentrate on the deep 8 inch plus goodies. I read your WOT advise further back in the forum a few hours ago and found your explanation in Moultry's site and can't wait to get out now and try some advise out! Thanks tons, John MI

No way you should be able to hear that coil ringing with your headphones on over the threashold tone, thats pretty amazing, no wonder ML wants to test it.

Come on you guys!! If they keep making coils that keep going deeper and deeper then we'll have to start using a backhoe instead of a shovle.....:) HH.

Eddie

well, actually two, although the 1804 Spiked Chin was not in true sugar sand, acutally I found another 1804 within ten feet of it and it was almost like a typical NY copper. :)

Don

Define SUGAR SAND for me if you could.I hit the woods last few times out hoping to get a nice lg ct.Got an 1800 each time out.Not a lot of green on them,but condition was not that great.I was hoping for better being in the woods away from fertalizer and all.Would love to find some like you just posted.Those are quite rare in that condition.I've only found about 5 half cents,but all were barely legible.Dave