Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1200 series coils

Dirtdiver

Can anyone tell me if the solid 1200 series coils work as well as the spider version.
Just purchased one of the solid coils for my 1236x2

Thanks, Dirtdiver

I have never done a side by side test with like two 8" coils one spider and solid for depth. For the most part I have heard it's mostly a weight thing as a negative for the solid, as for the spider coil it is a little harder to swing with the grass catching on the edges of the openings creating more drag. Another plus for the spider I have head they look cooler.

Maybe somebody else out there can say something about the actual performance.

Ron in WV

there is no difference in depth...overall..i would say the solid coil is better just because you dont have to worry about brush and grass hangups...if ya want to look cool..then get the spider..good luck

Thanks guys,
I'm glad there the same when it comes to depth. I think i will like the solid because it will swing through brush and twigs without getting hung up.
And i am at the age where looking cool doesn't even cross my mind.

No difference in the coils. The Spider is much better if your doing water, no buoyancy, the white coil needs pressure to keep it down. Don' think anyone makes solid water coils anymore , I have 1 for my Fisher 555-D. But the White coil works better if your a "Ground Scrubber" for coins on clean turf, it will glide. Guess its your preference. Sound about right AMC.Jav

This kind of goes along with this topic, anybody ever heard of a solid coil cover that will fit a spider 1200 series coil? This could be the best of both worlds if there is such a thing. I like the sound of gliding over the grass and still light.

Ron in WV

if you just want to go over grass i use a big ziplock plastic freezer bag works really good takes alot to puncture through!, just make a hole on top for your coil wire to come through and there you go ready to roll

I had both a large White-solid and the open black spider at the same time here.. 10.5/11"?.. I air- tested them both with MY machine..The spider was approx 1-2" deeper..I then sold the White coil..The spider is heavier and snags in the brush but I can live with that for an extra inch or two gain in depth....

WV62 said:
This kind of goes along with this topic, anybody ever heard of a solid coil cover that will fit a spider 1200 series coil? This could be the best of both worlds if there is such a thing. I like the sound of gliding over the grass and still light.

Ron in WV

This crossed my mind a while back...I thought about laying my spider coil on top of a flat piece of glass sprayed with mold-release, then finding some sort/type of hardening epoxy and filling the spaces...But then the weight might really become an issue!?...Dropped the Idea...

Wonder if anybody out there has a 8" solid coil cover for a Fisher 1212 and could see how well it would fit on some of these other 1200 series spider coils. Maybe somebody has one and knows somebody else close by and could get together and see about the coil cover fit. I found the covers new at a on line dealer so if it would work we all could just buy one or more from a dealer, rather than make something.

I like the idea of being able to remove the cover for clean.

For home made I also liked the freezer bag idea.

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
Wonder if anybody out there has a 8" solid coil cover for a Fisher 1212 and could see how well it would fit on some of these other 1200 series spider coils.

I have a couple 8" fisher coils around here with covers and an 8" spider coil also. But my 8" spyder is a white one from an early 1266X, Not the newer solid black one....I'll check and see if the disc cover will fit the spyder.... Also have a big solid Hot-Head but there is no cover on it...Have to dig them out...Will post results later...

M-scope said:
WV62 said:
Wonder if anybody out there has a 8" solid coil cover for a Fisher 1212 and could see how well it would fit on some of these other 1200 series spider coils.

I have a couple 8" fisher coils around here with covers and an 8" spider coil also. But my 8" spyder is a white one from an early 1266X, Not the newer solid black one....I'll check and see if the disc cover will fit the spyder.... Also have a big solid Hot-Head but there is no cover on it...Have to dig them out...Will post results later...

Not.......The coil cover from an 8" white solid will not fit the 8" white spyder coil I have...A little too big...

First of all why would you want a coil cover if your not ground scrubbing anyway, I used tuperware covers for my 1265-X and 555-D detectors years ago. they worked great, some lids were a tab bigger so heated the rims and pushed them in a little then put them on the coil and siliconed the edge. worked great.

Do you think a little heat in maybe 3 or 4 places could a dent to create a snap fit would work. Of course this would just be a fix for you I don't think I have seen any 1266 solid coil covers for sale anywhere. I can still get the solids for the 1212 new. If nobody out there comes up with anything maybe I could include one in my next order, just can't bring myself to order a $8 dollar cover and pay $10 shipping and it may not work.
FISHER COIL COVERS
MODEL SIZE / DESC. SALE CODE
1212 8" Closed Coil Cover Priced at
ONLY $8.00

12-202461001
1225, 35, 66, 80, CZ-7/6/5,
Impulse, CZ-20, CZ-21 10.5" Open Coil Cover Priced at
ONLY $16.00
12-203307
1225, 35, 1266-X, CZ-7/6/5,
Impulse, CZ-21, CZ-3D, ID-Edge 8" Open Coil Cover Priced at
ONLY $8.00
12-203265001
1225, 35, 1266-X, CZ-7/6/5,

Ron in WV

M-scope said:
M-scope said:
WV62 said:

I have a couple 8" fisher coils around here with covers and an 8" spider coil also. But my 8" spider is a white one from an early 1266X, Not the newer solid black one....I'll check and see if the disc cover will fit the spider.... Also have a big solid Hot-Head but there is no cover on it...Have to dig them out...Will post results later...

Not.......The coil cover from an 8" white solid will not fit the 8" white spider coil I have...A little too big...

What about taping a frisbee to the bottom of the coil.
I'm not sure what sizes they come in, but seems like it would be a quick fix that could be removed easily when not needed.

I was looking at an old coil that I had here and it had a coil cover on it, so what to heck I removed it and it was a little loose on the spider coil I added some thick double stick for a spacer and I am ready for some gliding over the grass.

What do you think?

Ron in WV

Way to go Dude, see now your thinking..

shooter said:
Way to go Dude, see now your thinking..

Thanks shooter coming from you that is a pretty good complement, I have seen some of your handy work.

After the pictures were posted I got to thinking I had created a pretty good dirt and grass trap with that open top, I went to the kitchen and got some press and seal and covered the top, it turned out pretty good. Not sure it will hold up for a days hunt and for sure the press and seal would need to be replace from time to time.

Ron in WV