Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rediscovering my Whites Coinmaster TR Discriminator

jayw

When I was a child my Dad bought me a "Whites Coinmaster TR Discriminator" for christmas. It included a really nice hardshell foam-lined case, and a book "Treasure Under your Feet" autographed by the author - Roy Volker. Roy may have been the dealer Dad purchased from as well, not sure. I had a lot of fun with it back then, but eventually lost interest and many decades later I'm now 60 and pulled it out of a corner of the basement. See attached picture of my actual unit just opened after so many years. FYI - I'm not really interested in selling it, I want to explore potentially restoring/using it and getting back into the hobby in some fashion. It appears to be in really great condition, but there are a few minor issues that I was hoping folks far better versed in this gear might advise me on. I know, modern detectors are probably far superior and cost less but there's some sentimentality here and if the old one is serviceable... I'd go that way.

On the garret site there is a list of manuals HERE. I see three lines that mention "Coinmaster TR Descriminator" and not sure which one is correct. My coil says 4B or 4D in the picture, cant make it out and I'm not home at the moment. Mainly trying to determine for sure exactly which one of those I have.

On the rod/loop connector section (white plastic tube that connects between coil/loop and metal rod), there is a soft rubbery pad on each side that the retaining bolt goes through. One of mine is missing. Would like to replace both. I could construct something by cutting a piece of rubber, but is there already a known source of the exact size & thickness available? Material?

The two battery holders (one six AA's and one eight AA's) are questionable. There were no batteries left installed thankfully, but I recall thinking they may have issues when I saw them. The "9 volt transistor battery style connectors" going to each battery are corroded and broken. I found THIS on amazon, it seems to be the cheapest price that gets me both holders and 4 sets of leads. When I get home I'll measure the leads to determine if the ones in this kit are long enough. Sure wish I could keep one white and one black to be 'authentic', but will accept all to be black if I have to.

Once this thing gets good power and assuming it comes up correctly, is there any type of calibration procedure that I may or should need to perform? I worry that sitting so long some components may have drifted off spec.

I have some digital electronics design/repair experience. I know this is likely a completely analog unit but I can probably figure out some repairs if needed. Is there any production schematic or service manual available? Any tips or things I should check out before trying to use it?

If resurrection is successful, its first task will be locating some property marker/pins. After that, I may go shooting around a very old log cabin ruin on my property. Who knows from there....

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpg
    IMG_2892.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31