Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Picked up another Beep and Dig

oldkoot

As the title read I picked up another Beep and dig, a troy Shadow X5, LOL just could not pass on it, haven't received it yet but should have it early next week, its coming with three coils the 10x5 DD, 7 inch Concentric and the 9 inch concentric

not much info out about the X5 though videos I have seen the X5 seems pretty impressive though

anyone have any helpful tips I am open

As the title read I picked up another Beep and dig, a troy Shadow X5, LOL just could not pass on it, haven't received it yet but should have it early next week, its coming with three coils the 10x5 DD, 7 inch Concentric and the 9 inch concentric

not much info out about the X5 though videos I have seen the X5 seems pretty impressive though

Hello oldkoot,
Somewhere on the Web Troy had a Couple of pages that
had information and Tips on using the Shadow X5. Great
help as I used a Troy Shadow X5 for a couple years. Good on
Low & Mid Conductors. Not so much on deeper silver. I really liked this detector but if something goes haywire, there
are NO MORE PARTS for Repair. My reason for Selling back when... Wish you the Best you oldkoot...
silverseeker 2

Yep, if it beeps then dig it. Sorry I couldn’t resist.
LOL No problem, there is just not a lot of info on the X5 but from my understanding the one I am receiving is in like new condition with very little use, and the price was right with three coils so I purchased it

They also have a like new Tesoro Vaquero they are selling at a great price also that I may jump on also, plus a second X5 with one coil.

Spending mine and my wife's kids inheritance one detector at a time LOL

Somewhere on the Web Troy had a Couple of pages that
had information and Tips on using the Shadow X5. Great
help as I used a Troy Shadow X5 for a couple years. Good on
Low & Mid Conductors. Not so much on deeper silver. I really liked this detector but if something goes haywire, there
are NO MORE PARTS for Repair. My reason for Selling back when... Wish you the Best you oldkoot...
silverseeker 2
I did take all that in account before purchasing the X5 but at the price I got it for I just could not pass on it, the little I have read on the X5 sounds like there are some mixed views on it, some liked it and some did not, but that's with any detector and to be expected

I personally am loving the Simplicity of the Beep and Digs so I have picked up four now and still looking for more, and yes I still have some digital detectors but these Beep and digs have brought the fun back in detecting for me personally.

When I drain mine and my wife's kids inheritance's then I will stop purchasing LOL and I have a long ways to go before that happens, I refuse to leave anything to spoiled kids who do not give a rats ass about anything except how much money they are going to receive when I am dead and gone or when my wife is dead and gone, they can all argue over a empty bank account and what we have put in our wills which they really are not going to like but I have come to the conclusion I just do not care any longer or give an F at this point in my life, and that's the bottom line with me

Yes I can only swing one detector at a time but its sure fun to go into my Detector room and try to figure out which detector I want to use on that given day LOL,

lol:ROFLMAO:
You gone on the Beep & Dig binge. I can relate to that. I have the most fun with Beep & Dig. No menu fiddling around. I use both but seems when I swing a TID I want to go back and grab the Beep & Dig. No menu's and just flat out works. Now I'll just grab my ol Compadre and/or Silver uMax next time I go - old times sake.

lol:ROFLMAO:
You gone on the Beep & Dig binge. I can relate to that. I have the most fun with Beep & Dig. No menu fiddling around. I use both but seems when I swing a TID I want to go back and grab the Beep & Dig. No menu's and just flat out works. Now I'll just grab my ol Compadre and/or Silver uMax next time I go - old times sake.
Yep I have and looking for some that are no longer being produced, its as much fun to find these for sale than it is swinging them over targets, sure I can grab a digital detector and go out and become frustrated again watching jumpy target IDs but why should I, the whole point of me detecting is to relax and have fun, locate some targets and dig them up, and just have fun detecting, OH did I mention the part about having fun LOL that's what these beep and digs are doing for me

Yes I have a X5 also I picked up a few years ago that has the 7 & 9 inch coil with it, I had one before as I was a dealer for them and sold it and missed it dearly as I did well with it. In a area 2 different Minelab had went over well and said they had gotten everything. It was a corral area where they mush have rode horses and might have been used for something else years ago. I decided to do a quick hunt with the X 5 and made a couple of passes and if my memory is correct I believe I got several coins with 2 of them barber dime and 3 merc and even 1 buffalo Nickle. These it good on the X5 and there was trash too, but my swinging the coil faster the coins locked on while the trash would break up. What also impressed me was at a old school in a small town my friend with a Sovereign just went over and said not much there, went about 10 feet and had 3 mercs and some wheaties which surprised me and him. I know that one merc was about 8 inches deep and locked on, but weaker signal , but hit when I swung the coil faster. I think the reason I got it and he didnt as he like to swing the coil faster with the Sovereign and miss them.
right now I have the X5 a Sovereign GT, and a Sovereign XS plus a Legend that I got when they came out, but just too many buttons for me, so it just sit on the wall .

I havent been out detecting for a while and the last time out was with the X5 as it is not heavy, does a good job and easy to use as I am sure many getting up in age cant get up and down to dig as our mind say we can,but the body says it ain't going to happen.

I think you are going to like the X5 and hope you do

Rick

Yes I have a X5 also I picked up a few years ago that has the 7 & 9 inch coil with it, I had one before as I was a dealer for them and sold it and missed it dearly as I did well with it. In a area 2 different Minelab had went over well and said they had gotten everything. It was a corral area where they mush have rode horses and might have been used for something else years ago. I decided to do a quick hunt with the X 5 and made a couple of passes and if my memory is correct I believe I got several coins with 2 of them barber dime and 3 merc and even 1 buffalo Nickle. These it good on the X5 and there was trash too, but my swinging the coil faster the coins locked on while the trash would break up. What also impressed me was at a old school in a small town my friend with a Sovereign just went over and said not much there, went about 10 feet and had 3 mercs and some wheaties which surprised me and him. I know that one merc was about 8 inches deep and locked on, but weaker signal , but hit when I swung the coil faster. I think the reason I got it and he didnt as he like to swing the coil faster with the Sovereign and miss them.
right now I have the X5 a Sovereign GT, and a Sovereign XS plus a Legend that I got when they came out, but just too many buttons for me, so it just sit on the wall .

I havent been out detecting for a while and the last time out was with the X5 as it is not heavy, does a good job and easy to use as I am sure many getting up in age cant get up and down to dig as our mind say we can,but the body says it ain't going to happen.

I think you are going to like the X5 and hope you do

Rick
Thanks Rick(ND) I think I will also, as I said the deal was to good to pass on it so I purchased it the serial number I was told is in the 400s and it still has the threshold knob on the bottom of the control housing on the left side, from my understanding they changed the X5 at some point and removed the threshold adjustment knob for some reason, also read that the first 300 had issues so I am hoping the one I am waiting to be delivered has the issues worked out, I am glad it still has the external threshold adjustment knob, because if the X5 is anything like the other three beep and digs I own the threshold adjustment plays a huge part in how deep they will see targets so I am hoping the X5 is the same with the external threshold adjustment

and yep I do know what you mean by old age, its catching up to me also at 64 its getting harder and harder to get up and down to dig, just cannot do it like I did when I was 20-40 years old and even into my 50s I was still going out every day and digging targets, now I dig a few and set for an hour then dig a few more LOL, went out a couple months ago and dug like 30-40 targets in about and hour and a half to 2 hours and thought I had done myself in, you would think at 64 I would have learned my lessons better but I was on a hot area and the targets were just coming with almost every sweep of the coil so I figured I would get them while I was getting some good finds, I spent the next two days just sitting there because my legs were throbbing wont do that again LOL

And another thing with a lot of the new-fangled detectors is having a built-in rechargeable battery. I'm fine with more common batteries I can charge externally, and take along spares if needed so I could pop em in and go instead of plugging a cable to the detector to recharge.
And another thing with some new-fangled detectors is an adapter to allow use of headphones (Nokta) when/if I use headphones/earbuds.
And another thing with some new-fangled detectors is having to plug the thing in to a PC just for an update or correction.
Your turn :rolleyes:

Thanks Rick(ND) I think I will also, as I said the deal was to good to pass on it so I purchased it the serial number I was told is in the 400s and it still has the threshold knob on the bottom of the control housing on the left side, from my understanding they changed the X5 at some point and removed the threshold adjustment knob for some reason, also read that the first 300 had issues so I am hoping the one I am waiting to be delivered has the issues worked out, I am glad it still has the external threshold adjustment knob, because if the X5 is anything like the other three beep and digs I own the threshold adjustment plays a huge part in how deep they will see targets so I am hoping the X5 is the same with the external threshold adjustment

and yep I do know what you mean by old age, its catching up to me also at 64 its getting harder and harder to get up and down to dig, just cannot do it like I did when I was 20-40 years old and even into my 50s I was still going out every day and digging targets, now I dig a few and set for an hour then dig a few more LOL, went out a couple months ago and dug like 30-40 targets in about and hour and a half to 2 hours and thought I had done myself in, you would think at 64 I would have learned my lessons better but I was on a hot area and the targets were just coming with almost every sweep of the coil so I figured I would get them while I was getting some good finds, I spent the next two days just sitting there because my legs were throbbing wont do that again LOL
The X5 was thought out good by Troy and we waited several month longer as he wasnt happy with some of the things that could cause a problem later on and replaced them before releasing the X5.
The first 200 X5 were a little sparky for some, so they change them a bit so not so sensitive and the newer one were set up to be less sensitive. The first 200 than could be sent in and he would do the change in them too, but some never sent their in and kept them original as they were more experience user and like them that sensitive. all of the X5 that I know of has the threshold knob on the bottom of the control box and never heard of any changes in them. Those first X 5 that were sent back to be made less sensitive had a sticker in the battery compartment that had a H or something to say it had the change in it.
I had one problem with mine and called Troy as my speaker didnt work and was told to send it back and he would replace the speaker, he even told me he would send his own personal X5 to me to use until mine was repaired so I would have it the next day, but I didnt take him up on it, but had my X5 back in 3 days which was very nice of him.
Troy also made some headphones called the Troy Pros which were awesome as no switch to switch between stereo or mono so they worked on all detector and what really got me is the cable was the best I ever seen as it stretch further out and when it retuned it coiled right back to the original size and I know the set I have and one for the wife has never had to have the cable replaced and the cable still goes back in place in the original shape. I was lucky enough to get a extra set new for a back up, but after 7 years never need them and sold them again with the idea I would find another set, but havent found any yet. I wish other headphone companies would use the same cable Troy uses as it is heavy duty.

Good luck with you X5 as you have a great detector. They made a X3 also, but feel it was more of a coemption detector where the X5 was deeper in my opinion.

Rick

And another thing with a lot of the new-fangled detectors is having a built-in rechargeable battery. I'm fine with more common batteries I can charge externally, and take along spares if needed so I could pop em in and go instead of plugging a cable to the detector to recharge.
And another thing with some new-fangled detectors is an adapter to allow use of headphones (Nokta) when/if I use headphones/earbuds.
And another thing with some new-fangled detectors is having to plug the thing in to a PC just for an update or correction.
LOL you are preaching to the Quire here LOL

I don't mind changing batteries at all, and I sure do not miss having to plug these in to the computer to update, worrying whether the update actually went ok or something screwed up in the Process (been There) and done that, i do not use detectors with the headphones plugged in to tether me to the detector, i use a wireless transmitter plugged in to use wireless headphones, did have one detector that I had to build a Dummy Load to be able to use a wireless Bluetooth transmitter but that's worked out now, that was the Golden Mask 7 but all the rest of these beep and digs a Bluetooth wireless transmitter has worked great hoping the X5 is the same

I'd put a good beep and dig machine up against any of the new digital detectors.......I have done and I feel sorry for those who have been taken in by the marketing men and spent thousands on false claims.

I'd put a good beep and dig machine up against any of the new digital detectors.......I have done and I feel sorry for those who have been taken in by the marketing men and spent thousands on false claims.
Agree

we better hope that everyone doesn't wake up at some point and realize they have all been taken advantage of and wool pulled over their eyes, to those marketing schemes

Ive seen the Light and will not be re visiting LOL

on the battery situation I have an outlet for all the batteries I need My daughter is the Director of operations for Batteries Plus in 6-8 states so i do not worry about batteries at all

The X5 was thought out good by Troy and we waited several month longer as he wasnt happy with some of the things that could cause a problem later on and replaced them before releasing the X5.
The first 200 X5 were a little sparky for some, so they change them a bit so not so sensitive and the newer one were set up to be less sensitive. The first 200 than could be sent in and he would do the change in them too, but some never sent their in and kept them original as they were more experience user and like them that sensitive. all of the X5 that I know of has the threshold knob on the bottom of the control box and never heard of any changes in them. Those first X 5 that were sent back to be made less sensitive had a sticker in the battery compartment that had a H or something to say it had the change in it.
I had one problem with mine and called Troy as my speaker didnt work and was told to send it back and he would replace the speaker, he even told me he would send his own personal X5 to me to use until mine was repaired so I would have it the next day, but I didnt take him up on it, but had my X5 back in 3 days which was very nice of him.
Troy also made some headphones called the Troy Pros which were awesome as no switch to switch between stereo or mono so they worked on all detector and what really got me is the cable was the best I ever seen as it stretch further out and when it retuned it coiled right back to the original size and I know the set I have and one for the wife has never had to have the cable replaced and the cable still goes back in place in the original shape. I was lucky enough to get a extra set new for a back up, but after 7 years never need them and sold them again with the idea I would find another set, but havent found any yet. I wish other headphone companies would use the same cable Troy uses as it is heavy duty.

Good luck with you X5 as you have a great detector. They made a X3 also, but feel it was more of a coemption detector where the X5 was deeper in my opinion.

Rick
What Brand of 9 Volt batteries do you recommend for the X5 ??? and have you ever used Rechargeable 9 volt batteries and if you do which ones do you recommend that are re chargeable for the X5 ???

Or for that matter anyone else that has used the Shadow X5 Metal Detector looking for recommendations on 9 volt batteries for the Shadow X5

myself I tried the rechargeables a few years ago and didnt care for them. This was on my Tesoros, my uniprobe and other detector and don't remember trying them on my X 5. On my Tesoros I notice they wouldn't fit back in the detector and those reg size didn't last long on a hunt. On my UniProbe i found it seem like it didn't supply the correct voltage as the probe was erratic like the low battery alert. I always used the good alkaline batteries like the Duracell or Eveready so I knew they would last longer than many other Alkaline.
Maybe there are better rechargeable out now that have the right voltage and will fit into the ones that have the drop in battery compartment.
I also blew up a 9 volt rechargeables as they have to be slow charged that some chargers do, but my charger which is a faster charger just blew up after 5 minutes on the charger as it was trying to put too much of a charge too fast.

Rick

myself I tried the rechargeables a few years ago and didnt care for them. This was on my Tesoros, my uniprobe and other detector and don't remember trying them on my X 5. On my Tesoros I notice they wouldn't fit back in the detector and those reg size didn't last long on a hunt. On my UniProbe i found it seem like it didn't supply the correct voltage as the probe was erratic like the low battery alert. I always used the good alkaline batteries like the Duracell or Eveready so I knew they would last longer than many other Alkaline.
Maybe there are better rechargeable out now that have the right voltage and will fit into the ones that have the drop in battery compartment.
I also blew up a 9 volt rechargeables as they have to be slow charged that some chargers do, but my charger which is a faster charger just blew up after 5 minutes on the charger as it was trying to put too much of a charge too fast.

Rick
I picked up some Ever readies and some Duracell's from my Daughter, in preparation for delivery of the X5, tracking says its finally in Arizona so hopefully it will be here today or tomorrow I was not comfortable with what I read on the rechargeable batteries, so I will just stick with good ole alkaline batteries