Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Zip-Lock Baggie Trick. :thumbup:

SeniorSeeker

Fantastic If It Works!

ZIP LOCK BAGS - WHO KNEW?

Worth a try.
Good tip!

We went with friends to a restaurant on Sunday for lunch and sat in the patio section beside the store. We happened to notice zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut.
Naturally we were curious! The owner told us that these baggies kept the flies away!
So naturally we were even more curious! We actually watched some flies come in the open window, sit around on the window sill, and then fly out again.
And there were no flies in the eating area!
This morning I checked this out on Google. Below are comments on this fly control idea. I'm now a believer in Zip-lock water bags.

#1 Says:
I tried the zip lock bag and pennies this weekend. I have a horse trailer.
The flies were bad while I was camping.
I put the baggies with pennies above the door of the Living Quarters. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer.
The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!

#2 Says:
Fill a zip lock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight passage way for insects. Ever since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away.
Some say that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some other insect nest and are threatened.

#3 Says:
I swear by the plastic bag of water trick. I have them on the porch and in the basement. We saw these in Northeast Mo. at an Amish grocery store & have used them ever since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection & won't come around.

#4 Says:
Regarding the science behind zip lock bags of water? My research found that the millions of molecules of water present their own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colours and movement in a dizzying manner.
When you figure that flies are prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action.
I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain, but I tried it and it worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he didn't hang around long.

Interesting. I think we'll give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

Doug

as a rain cover for my Explorer. The quart sized zipper bag can be used as a rain cover for the Explorer. Just cut a "U" shaped out of the bottom zipper side from the middle 1/3, slide it over and then zip the two sides together by the handle!