Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Your Opinions Wanted :detecting:

SeniorSeeker

Detecting, for me, has been an interesting hobby. Addmittedly I've spent a great deal more time out digging, in past years, than I have in the present. Health issues has been my biggest draw back. I'm even given thought to selling my detector (Minlab E-terra 505 & lots of digging tools) and doing something else with my time. Everytime I go to the park next door, I catch some rash! Oddly enough, when I was much younger, I could take a bath in poison ivy and not get an itch but not now. I guess age is catching up with me. Another draw back is that I no longer have transportation other than my bike, from the Netherlands, my sister bought me this year as a birthday gift. I haven't been in this neck of the woods for too long and don't know if there's other places to hunt around here. I really don't want to quit but don't see much of an alternative. What's your thoughts? What would you do given the circumstances?

Life is like that - we change as we age. Some things we keep some we don't. It's really your decision as to what's best & still fun. At least that's what I try to follow. At my age I am feeling the aches & pains more than ever but the thrill of digging stuff still overcomes that. Going out tomorrow morn .

As to going places I don't know your area. Here I could ride a bike if I didn't have a car. I know guys who take the bus to the beaches & detect. Or maybe you could ask a friend to drive you to a site . Better yet, get him or her interested in detecting and have a ride.

Something I have done in the past is go to the local library and research all the books on your area. It's usually more productive to go through books at the library than to try & get info online. Lots of places in the past might be nearby.

Good luck, Steve in so la

have a special room or section just filled with reading stuff only about your city - or state. Ask about this special place when you go, it will help you to find nearby places. Steve

I have had to already quit with my hobby of :detecting, but God Bless and hope you can stay hunting and digging up the goodies! Steve gave you really good advice! Sure hope you can find more hunting areas that are productive and not too far from home and hope you can find a detecting friend to go with who has a car for travelling....really nice to have someone along with you, as it makes it more fun when you find something worth bragging about! :lol: :angel: Ma

Bring up your address using google maps. Then click on places of interests (parks) and it will show you the ones in your area. Also elementary schools are good for coins etc on non school days.

Needless to say, I won't be doing any digging for the next 4-6 weeks minimum. Stated in another posting, I said I cracked a rib or the cartilage according to my doctor. Bummer.

That is probably all that he can do, Steve, if his cracked rib is as painful as my hip and back have been....can't move but very slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Prayers for healing in JEsus' name, Bro Martin! :angel: Ma

Don't stop detecting--- I am 76 and have had health issues the past 3 years,but the forums are what keep me going. Bless all you guys/gals.

Get out when you are able to do so, but take it slow and easy and don't over do....exercise and finding the goodies will keep you going if at all possible in being able to go :detecting: God Bless! :angel: Ma

Well Ma, with a cracked rib, as well as other medical situations, going slow will be the order of the day. As Mike suggested, I opened Google Maps and focused in on my location. Moving the map up/down/and sideways, I did locate a couple spots available for detecting. Bother are a mile or so down the road. Weather permitting, I can load my detector, diggers, etc. onto my bike and peddle there. I'll let you all know what I find. :detecting:

n/t

For the time being, I put all my detecting equipment in storage hoping to one day get it out again. At this point, my medical situation keeps me from getting out and detecting. Hoping to get back into our wonderful hobby this summer sometime. It's up to the Lord to bring me back to being somewhat normal and having the energy to hunt.