Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

your favorite places to hunt

fozzy767

just curious where everyones favorite places are to hunt,mine are under trees in parks cause you are sure to find some coin...lol

Hey Fozzy, I like the oldest spots i can find. When i first started i was happy to find anything, then as i progressed & found my first silver, a , i think a 44 merc, i wanted more. A guy i new at work heard i was into metal detecting & told me about this place where he had dug a bucket of silver. Well at this time i didn't know Jim Weaver very well & I though he was full of %$#@.So we go out to this place with a quarry lake & beach, around 2001 mind you, I was aware of this place but from ever thing I had heard it had been worked out years ago, I want to hunt around the concession stand & the lake & Weaver tells to hunt out in the middle of this field. We hadn't been hunting 10 mins & Weaver is squealing like a stuck pig, I run over & he has a beautiful Standing Liberty half, I am thinking he had that in his pocket. At the end of the day he had 1.35 in silver, the half, a standing liberty qt, 2 GW qts and a merc. I still didn't know what to think about this since I didn't find zip. We go back the next weekend & it looked like crater city, I found a 64 Kennedy half, Its on now, the rest is history. All together for i guess the next 2 years i got a little more than 3.00 in silver out of it including 2 Walking half's & 2 Standing Liberty qts + 4 rings. Now the only way I can get a fix is to find OLD coins,rings or relics. The field turned out to be the parking lot & it was full of silver. Tell everyone
about your hobby, It can lead to some good spots & good friends. Jim & I & another Jim, Jim Armstrong have made some great finds over the years. It is the best hobby in the world. If you want to find old you have to hunt old. Try & find a experienced hunting partner.Good Luck.

i have searched from fairgrounds,ballfields,soccer fields,parks,im fairly new and im so overwhelmed.a guy 20 miles north of me found 600 dollars in 2 days a month ago,,thats hundred btw,of course hes not sayin where.im just cutting my teeth so to speak,i have a bh lone star and a quick draw 2,i just bought it so i kno how deep to dig,everytime i have gone out i have found something so im cool with that.but like you i want more....kinda feel greedy...lol

All the usual spots in this area have been hard hit for a long time. You can forget under the trees here, except for recent coins. For old coins, try under the shrubs, on the sides of hills, in the woods, along the curb... if it's a good old area, I start in the hard areas to hunt first. I also look up the old maps to see what was in these places a long time ago. Sometimes you can find a small area of undisturbed ground in an otherwise modern spot.

Once you graduate from the tot lots and tire of finding new coins dropped yesterday,, its time to start thinking about some out of the way places ,, some guys find the silver and gold consistently,, I am not one of them,, just haven't had much luck with it,, but will arrest that back in the 80;s,, it seemed to be everywhere,, but all the above suggestions are good,, I took mine in the woods across the street from my house,,not even expecting to find a thing,, but I found two wheats next to each other,, both dated from the teens,, I had to give that some thought,, why were those two wheat penny's out here in the middle of the woods,, did some hunter drop them,, some forest worker,, if only they could talk, its a great hobby and you have to put your time in,, once you do your homework,, the finds start coming out of the ground,, not bucket fulls,,but enough to keep you swinging,,

Had good luck hunting where the service/gas stations used to be that are long gone now. Ask some of the local old timers where they were back in the 30's-50's. Lots of bottle caps and some other junk to deal with, but silver coins too.