Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

You Old Fart's Out There,Your Best TR Machine Used.

candycane

Ever thought about going back to the TR unit.....

white's 4db high frequency tr!.."crackerjack" !..circ: 1978.

(h.h!)
j.t.

n/t

Except for a few months I've kept at least one 100 khz TR around since the the 1970's. Currently have, and use regularly, a 1974 model Compass Coinhustler and recently sold a Whites made for Sears Roebuck 100 khz TR. Can't beat the 100 khz TR's for hunting nail laden sites, and I use the Coinhustler often for hunting tot lots and playgrounds:).
chustler.jpg

Late 70's / early 80's I had a C&G Technology "VLF Wildcat". Had both coils, 6" & 10" (I think ??). As I recall, depth wasn't it's strong suit, but still made some decent finds. Fun to compare it to my Silver uMax I have now.

I had a old Wilson/Newman Chief that I enjoyed and have wondered what I would think of it today if I still owned it. I also hunted a lot with a early Garrett ADS. I found more with a Tesoro Inca than any other Detector that I have owned. I believe that the only big name detector that I have not owned any model of is a Minelab. It's a great hobby, but I don't think that you make much money considering the hours put in, do you? Bill In Texas :tesoro:

:cool: Yes, Believe it or not one of my best and favorite machines was a Wilson / Neuman Daytona 5000 TR unit. It went as deep as today's new detectors and I found wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, and gold charms in parks that were considered "hunted out". I sold it a long time ago but I still think about it a lot!
Good Hunting, RDF:cool::detecting:

very true!..el!..was constantly retuning with the "push button" on the handle!..

(h.h!)
j.t.

2 different categories of TR's, the ones that operate at 100 KHZ and the ones that operate at a lower frequency. I have a Compass Auto Legend (100 KHZ). It will beat any modern detector in nails easily but it doesn't have much depth. It has auto tune which helps keep the Threshold restored. I consider it a specialty detector so don't use it too much but it can come in handy under the right conditions.

I had a Compass 77B that got 12-13 inches on air test, hit Barber dimes at 10 inches deep. Minearlization did hurt it, one spot here in town you cannot hunt with any detector though. Drop a coin on top of the ground, and you lose it. The Judges and Automatics never got any depth. That new Ultimate TR detector sure intriques me, they are hitting a quarter at 41 inches with their 14x18 loop?

wrong!..i had a "judge #1" and consistently got to 6" on a coin!...used one from '77 to '79!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Well depth is always subjective any ways. I thought the older high freq. stuff was the cats meow for Gold Nuggets. As for depth how deep do you want to go? Do not get me wrong I want depth too but in my neck of the woods once you get to 6-12 inchs down you hit the hardest densest clay and digging becomes a real chore!! So anything that will go 6-12 inch's is more then I need because I am not digging in clay for a nickle or a dime etc..... So an old TR type machine might just work fine for me. I intend to find out soon since I ordered a BH 8400 off ebay as my first detector.

terrific detector!.. cut my teeth on it in '78!...sweet!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Mine was the AH Pro. If you could fight the temptation to disc out tabs and use it at low disc, it was awesome. I could find coins underneath trash! I also had a Garrett American. The first one that came out had a slow retune pushbutton feature. I could actually hold the pushbutton down and the threshold would stay at max but still give a quick blip on coins with enough reset time not to miss the target. Found a penny at a full six inches this way=and that was good back then. I was even fortunate enough to have a Compass Coin Magnum- a really weird machine that was the precursor to modern motion machines.

The best machine I ever used was the Tesoro Aztec. This machine used Reverse Discrimination. This machine would go quiet over a coin every time you knew that you were digging a coin. HH...Jesse.