Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

You guys are awesome

Ray_Finder

I have been looking at many of the pictures of stuff you all have found,
and, I am impressed !

I think it is probably time for me to do some reading to pick up some of
the techniques you are using ;-)

I at least now know how to discriminate and eliminate pop can tabs and foil.
But, could that mean I am missing jewelry? Hummmmmm . . . .

Blessings . . .

Ray .. .

You are right about the discrimination causing you to lose some jewelry and maybe even nickels. The older machines - lacking a computerized brain - couldn't distinguish the difference from a nickel and pull tabs. The higher conductivity of aluminum is higher than nickels so to discriminate so you don't get pull tabs you lose the nickels. Many times too if you set the discrimination to take away all foil you will miss gold and other rings.

Another consideration is when using discrimination you will also lose depth.
This may not be a major problem when hunting school or park playgrounds where most items are less than 5 inches underground. But is you go to an old park and are looking for old coins in the grass you may want to just dig everything and forget the discrimination - so you get the added depth.

I am not sure but think your machine is a TR model (Transmit/Receive) which was pretty good til the VLF (Very Low Frequency) units came out and the VLF gave greater depth.

Good reading is a great idea. Check with your local library I bet they have books on 'metal detecting', 'treasure hunting', 'coinshooting' and others either there or some can even be gotten from other libraries on a loan basis.
I know the Capitol Area Public Library system has several great detecting books on their shelves. Charles Garrett published many books on detecting and metal detectors. There are other great authors as well but right now only Garrett pops into my head.

Glad you are getting used to your detector and finding out more of what it is capable of. We love posting pics of our finds and when the time comes you will be joining us and amazing us with the finds you have discovered.

If you disc out theose things you disc out lots of the goodies. My post today = I probably dug 65 pull tabs, ton of tin foil, etc to get what I got. I can honestly say that since I have been digging in lower disc these last 5 years I have gotten much more gold & silver. Took me a long time to realize this but it does pay off. Steve in so az

Gold happens to fall in the foil nickle range in VLF detectors. I sure don't mind digging junk to get a goodie now and then. I can usually tell when someone has hunted an area before me with hi disc by all the nickles I find. HH'n

Dave

Pete: I like your response, yes indeedy, God is awesome.

I have a BH Outlaw, bought new off ebay, and it is a VLF. It has a sensitivity knob,
a discriminate knob, a ground knob, and a meter. It also has very abbreviated instructions
about how to use it ;-) It does not have a way to determine what kind of metal, or how
deep the target is.

I am going camping the end of July, and know i Will get more familiar with it then, otherwise
I only am able to get out for a few hours on weekends.

I guess I need to turn my discriminate off based on the responces received.

thank you for all your help . . .

Ray . . .

Without even having read any of the posts below this I can tell you what everyone said :)

If you want to find the gold, you've got to dig the junk!!!

[No message]

Please be careful when digging in this hot, dry weather, because the grass in parks will die easily, if a person isn't careful with digging holes, so discrimination would be okay until you learn more and can dig carefully! Dried up plugs and unfilled holes is what closes parks and public places to metal-detecting! Just a reminder for all of us, as the ground can really get dry and hard!

God Bless!
Betty