Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

you folks up north and in canada may appreciate this

Thanks David. :thumbup:

He was pretty shaken up about it. Seemed that the bear wanted a deer and was none-to shy about asserting his rights to it. Ed, my friend, went around a bluff and found himself about 8 feet away and it was definitely threatening him. The bear was protecting a deer [either shot... they will come running towards you when they hear a shot....or killed by the bear]. Anyway, it went up on its hinds, back down, head extended, back up, then down, etc

Ed backed up and scrambled over a cliff to make a rather hasty retreat. After a few thumps and crashes down the cliff, he left......Okay though. He, like me uses a fairly small calibre gun for the deer [I use a 25-06]. Those rounds would only make him mad. :)

Sunny skies, clear water

M

i would have er....soiled myself,maybe.about what cal.would you need to bring down a bear.i wonder where a bear's heart is located in it's body so you could shoot at it.i'm talking about if it stands on it's hinds to expose itself?

Maybe you folks will get a chance to take a bear picture when Royal gets there. I still have the bear photo that was taken last year. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

"if your going to eat it, shoot it behind the shoulders, if it is gonna eat YOU, shoot it through the shoulders"!
Most prefer a heavier caliber, 300 mag or larger with heavily constructed bullets in the 200 gr and up range for dangerous game. Some get a bit paranoid and go really big, forgetting that bullet placement is paramount! I killed my first Griz at age 20 with a 270 win. 150 gr bullet. It was not charging or upset (makes a big difference) and i shot through the lungs, he went down, got up and ran 50 feet then went down for good. I put one behind his ear from 25 ft away, just in case and i was scared as hell!
In later years though i did not hunt Griz cause i felt bad about it and they never bothered me but i felt confident with my 7mm rem mag. If i had a choice during a Grizzly charge i would like an RPG! :D

My new rifle uses 90 grain bullets.... so there no possibility of downing one with that. All you would do is make him angry :lol:

sunny skies

M

i wouldn't hunt them just for sport either but if i was on his turf,i would want something to bring one down,that rolling up in a ball doesn't sound to good to me.:D

quite easily drop him with proper bullet placement. I owned a 25-06 for years and even killed Elk with it. The shock and damage that kind of velocity has is awesome. It will jelly the lungs and heart and even crush the skull.
Wayne

n/t

the sawed-off shotguns the boys carry up north. Call them "bear-stoppers" I believe. They load the shell with a large ball bearing. I'm told that you would place it against your hip and fire as the bear nears you. At that point it doesn't matter where you hit the animal. The fella that showed me his gun in his truck said that it could rip a leg off a bear or knock him backwards from the concusion. Again....only what I was told.

unfortunately although a good "last resort gun", the shotgun for bears is not as good as one may think. It quite powerful and a good weapon up close but does not have the energy and penetration they think, due to relatively low velocity. Velocity means energy and destructive power, unless using a very small caliber, the average hunting rifle (30-06/308 eg)has more energy and penetration but is usually slower to use because of its length and being commonly "bolt action" and scoped. , as opposed to the shotgun usually being pump action, double barrel, or semi auto.

Black bears are actually not hard to stop, they do not even come close to the raw power attitude and strength of a Griz, there is really no comparison.

When i was guiding Grizzly hunters my "back up" weapon of choice was an unscoped Browning semi auto .338 win mag. with premium 250 gr bullets, and even then i hoped i never had to use it. It saved our butts once tho........

Wayne

For up close, it would definitely have the shock value, but would it have the penetration needed? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

3 inch magnum auto with slugs, loaded myself to the max! It would be pretty good but not my first choice.
Wayne

...I know people who have the money and the time to pursue them in the North Woods, with a bow just like the one I shoot. They hunt them from a ground blind many times, over bait and the bear never knows you are around. Hunting over bait is not allowed on public lands in Arkansas. Nor can one hunt them with dogs (on public land). When the black bear gets hit, it immediately makes tracks away from the area until bleed-out. At least that's the way the videos show it. Tell me about it, Wayner and Mike.

Of course bowhunters wait a good while before tracking, to make sure of a proper bleed. That's just the way they are gonna die. Rush things and you could be the one bleeding!

A friend of mine regularly hunts Canada for moose, bear and record book white-tails. He tells me that a bear is relatively easy to kill when comparing to, say, an elk. With a standing bear, the vitals are roughly in the same position as that of a man. On all-fours, the way to shoot is broadside ONLY, behind the shoulder. Any other shot is frowned upon by bowhunters in general.

Maybe one day I will be able to put into practice what has been preached to me about bears. I have never been bear huntin'. I thought I'd remedy that while I was off this time, but it isn't going to happen right now.

Bear season lasts until 30 November here, so I have some time to do a bit more research.

One final thing. I would NEVER bowhunt a griz w/o a guide totin' a cannon as a back-up. I have video of a man named Tim Wells taking a huge griz with his bow. He stalked it for two miles and confronted it in an open meadow, 35 yards away. He drew and shot it dead center between the eyes. The arrow penetrated the skull and the bear dropped in her tracks.

Personally, I think it was an idiotic thing to do. The arrow could have easily glanced off the skull and THEN ole Tim would have a hellaciously mad sow bear to contend with.

Sorry for rambling. Have a great day. <><

aj

Shoot 'em in skull and the bullet is just as likely to bounce off. However, a black bear will track a human../ Our farrtier, and local guide, told me of a time when he was guiding and one of his clients. Seems as though the fellow was ahead and the farrier happened, at this time, to be behind. A black started tracking the client and the farrier had to drop him at a pretty short distance from that client.

Sunny skies

M

Black bears are kinda wimpy, like you said, when hit they run off crying. I killed one Blackie with my bow, lung shot and he only went 20 yards. We had major problems with those darn camprobbers and i have shot dozens of them with never a problem.
I would not even think about hunting Grizzly with a bow from a ground blind, actually would not hunt them with a bow at all!
I have seen a few Grizzlies shot through the ribs with a rifle when they were undisturbed but they still put on a hell of a performance and its scarey! I always told my clients that if they could not be sure of a killing shot, then they best just enjoy the scenery :D
Wayne