Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yes!!! Caught some Lightning-illuminated clouds at night...

AllenOK

This has been somewhat of a goal of mine for many, many, years. I finally got something decent for my efforts.

There was a nice line of t-storms off to my southeast tonight. As soon as I was noticing some lightning flashes, I went outside to look. The sky was clear, except for the storm cells, and they were at least 20 - 30 miles away (I know, because I checked weather radar).

I've known for many months, that with my D-40, the only real way to capture lightning is to just get lucky and capture an image as it lights up. I've tried Time-lapse, but all I get is a fuzzy glow. And, of course, the more frames you capture, the better chance you have. I've been keeping my camera set to Burst mode since I figured out how to do that.

I got out my tripod, mounted the camera, aimed, and zoomed in somewhat. I put the camera is complete manual, both shutter and apeture. However, I had no idea what F-stop or exposure settings would work, so I just started guessing. I set the lens for Manual, and focused on a streetlight a ways away.

Ok, I'm all set! (Or so I thought.) I pressed down the shutter button, and held it down. Click-click-click-click, it was happily capturing images like crazy. I would try to time the captures with "outbursts" of imbedded lightning within the cell. However, all I got on my captures was the streetlight that I had used to focus. OK, I must not be getting enough light onto the chip, or I'm just really unlucky with my timing. I looked at my settings, and realized I probably had the shutter set to fast, and the apeture to narrow. Ok, open the apeture up all the way to F4.2. I ended up setting the speed at 1.6 (not 1.6", which gets into some time-lapse). I waited, pressed the shutter, and click click click the camera was capturing images, but slower. I did that for about 3 minutes, and THEN I ACTUALLY GOT ONE! I knew I had it, as I saw it on the LED screen as the camera wrote the images to the card. Here's the first one:

[attachment 77696 2008NightLightning1-1.JPG]

Well, that cell started slowing down on it's activity level. But, there was a cell further to the south that was popping like crazy. I moved about 20 yards, set the tripod up again, and aimed the camera. Now, I think I know what I'm doing a little better. I framed up the shot as best I could, and started trying for captures. I ended up getting two more with some color. Here's the best of those:

[attachment 77697 2008NightLightning1-2.JPG]

The third has even less lightning in it than the second shot, but is a nice shade of red.

Just so you all know, as I said, I was shooting completely manual, speed at 1.6, F4.2, with manual focus. The only thing I did to the images on my laptop were to crop and resize.

HH from Allen in OK