Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yard hunting question...

Ted S

I just received permission to hunt a home that was built in 1880. The original owner was quite famous and passed away in 1918. I really think this home should be on the National Historic site. Now...I have to be careful hunting this yard as the home is for sale and I have only a day or two to hunt the property. My wife worked with the owner and is good friends so that is how I got permission.I am thinking Park 1 as I really am not going for relics. And my digging technique has to be on its game! Any suggestions? Thanks! Ted

I agree with Marcomo, because if its for sale it will not last long.
Also, the older houses sometimes give up the older coins.

Tony NJ

PS: if it NJ send me a PM and we can go together - I'll bring the spray

Yeah, hard dry ground is a tough one...
In those conditions most plugs will leave dead grass circles behind, and can make a yard look like a blotchy mess.

You probably did the right thing....although the wondering and guessing about 'what if' will linger. :cry:

I had a somewhat similar situation a couple of years ago, when they tore down a school to build a small strip mall near me.
It had been built on a previously busy location that showed up on city maps dating back to the early 1800s.

Unfortunately it was a very narrow window of access, and I was recovering from surgery at that time...so I just had to watch the construction crews build over everything.
We'll never know about the 'ones that got away', LOL.

Good luck, and HH,
mike

I think I did the right thing by not digging much. The ground was dry. I did recover a clad dime and an early Girl Scout pin. And of course...There's the chance of nothing there as I had very few signals..I think an old fella hit it a number of years ago. If we get rain I will try again. Thanks everyone! PS...Mike..I hear ya! I just got out of neurosurgery when a gravel parking lot was torn up when I was recovering. You can only wish!

Ted...just out of curiosity...what were you using to dig?

In actuality, I do try to avoid manicured yards during the dog days of summer. Fortunately the ground hasn't gotten dry around here yet.

But with only a one or two day window, holding off until a good soaking isn't an option. The age and provenance of that property would make it tough to pass up...rain in the forecast or not.

Personally, I'd be inclined to give it a go; being extra careful to make sure I cut clean flap plugs with a sharp digging tool. Punching (not stomping) the plugs back down and paying extra attention to pinpoint as precisely as possible. I'd also try to maximize the return on each recovery so I wouldn't be digging anything too iffy. And I'd bring a big watering can!:detecting:

I know it is tempting! I use a Leshke trowel with a serrated edge so I dig a nice plug. I always push it down with my hands after a recovery. I may try a bit today around some trees where the grass is green yet. I want to stay away from the areas that are brown. If I hurt the lawn word would travel very fast in my little town! Ted