Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Yard Flamingos :clapping:

Ol' Frank

YARD FLAMINGOS

Did I ever tell you good people about Glo's father's yard flamingos..?

About four decades ago, Glo's mother died young from breast cancer, and Freddie soon remarried. His new wife Eleanor was generally regarded as humorless, which naturally prompted me to attempt getting some sort of smile out of her, so one weekend afternoon while they were at the Wigwam Bar on West Colfax Avenue, I rushed over to their backyard and re-did the paint job on those two pink ceramic birds:

Here's the only known B&W snapshot of that event. Unfortunately, a birdbath partially obscures to spotted bird.

Can you imagine that purple flamingo with bright orange spots, huge black eyebrows and a set of scowling square teeth? That was accompanied by its presumed mate, now sporting a gaudy black and gold zebra pattern with similar Groucho Marx facial features.

Freddie came home, half-bashed as usual, went into the back yard and nearly collapsed from laughter, but Eleanor wasn't amused, even when the trash man drove down the narrow alley, saw the new varieties of flamingo and wiped out a telephone pole with his truck's front bumper while he was gawking at the new and highly unusual avian display!

My mission was judged successful by both Glo and myself, despite detracting comments by the stolid Eleanor, who constantly and stridently demanded a repaint job, which somehow
never got done.

n/t

Diid the old gal ever loosen up? :D

a sense of humor! All the guys at the deer camp thought they would pull a good one on me. When they knew I was coming down to stay a few days, they "decorated" my part of the yard with pink flamingo's and a rather odd "beer can" windchime! They are still there three years later! :)

Actually, the ol' gal slowly grew acclimated to the unique burd display, and finally wouldn't let anyone mess with them! I'd guess that she met all sorts of fascinating new people who drove by to gawk and stayed to talk.

..and that ol' photo had been thrown in dresser drawers, stepped on, nearly crumpled, and otherwised abused in numerous ways over the years! I found it in the back of my computer desk's drawer a few days ago.

As a P.S., Glo's dad Freddie died of a brain tumor a few years later and Eleanor moved to another nearby town but didn't remarry. I have no idea what happened to the vivid flamingos... I hope they found a loving home!

I'm always keeping my eye out for a "bathtub Madonna" that's being discarded. You know the one.......An old bathtub cut in half with a statue of Mary perched in the middle. I've often thought of hooking up a slow-drip line to the eyeballs of one. (She's a cryin' real tears) Put it in my frontyard and charge all the migrant farm workers a dollar to touch her veil. I'm bettin I could retire.:thumbup::lol:

....more endangered, striped flamingos (and, of course, a good sense of humor) :lol:

Thanks for perkin' up my day, Frank!

aj

must of been rough on your wife losing her folks close together like that.i'd bet somewhere there's a flamingo painted like a zebra or one with spots in somebodies yard:).

n/t