Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Xterra 505 or 705??

I know there is a few differences between the two but i'm not sure how important they actually would be to me being new at this. What exactly are the main differences? I do know the 705 has a backlight on the display but pretty sure I wont be out at night so.. but what else?
If I would be happy with the 505 i'd rather save the $ and get maybe another sized coil or even use the cash for a garret propointer :)
I'd love some help in making this decision.

I`m selling my xt505 with standard 9" concentric and 6" hf coil. Garrets pro pointer, koss u 20 headset, minelab carrying case and tool pouch. Bought july 2011. Only used two months.

If you go to Minelab's website you can compare any detector they sell side by side to see the different features. I'm pretty sure the 505 has fewer levels of discrimination for one. I don't think it has a prospecting mode either.

I run a 705 and love it.

There are a number of 505 users who post here who do very well with it. Likely better than me.

The 705 does have some features that made it stand out for me. One of them was the auto Ground Balance and the Ground Tracking and atuomatic Noise Cancel. Mandatory? No but I like it. There are times that I like the backlight it can be real handy at the end of the day when there are still 20 or 30 feet to cover before packing up.

I have a hard time believing you would be disappointed with the 505.

Jeff

Being a new detector, I highly doubt your going to use a 705 to its full potential, IMO if your looking to save money I would go 505 with a pro pointer, plus 705's are pretty hard to find right now brand new I think. maybe those are just the Gold Series. but I use the 305 and am Upgrading to a 505 with a 15" Coiltek, just waiting for it to arrive! but I got a GREAT deal on the 505 so I couldnt pass it up. but if you have the extra money then of course the better model is always gonna be a better detector, its just what you want out of it, how far into the hobby your going to go, and how much your going to use it.

GNILAEH said:
I`m selling my xt505 with standard 9" concentric and 6" hf coil. Garrets pro pointer, koss u 20 headset, minelab carrying case and tool pouch. Bought july 2011. Only used two months.

btw out of curiousity, how much are you asking for this bundle? my dad is looking for a upgrade

treasure4pleasure

Wise choice!:thumbup:

I owned a 305, then bought a 505 and kept the 305 for a back-up. Have recently upgraded the 305 to a 705 and love it. Great features not available on the 505 are the auto noise cancel, auto GB & GB tracking. These features really help set up the machine properly for the conditions and keep you properly ground balanced. Once you know the machine, you may want to try some of the other features on the 705 like pinspoint sizing, but for ease of use, you can't beat the 'extra' automatic features the 705 offers. Some other features like the addtional preset pattern, or the additional discrimination segments, backlight, or even the 'prospecting mode' may or may not be needed for your type of hunting, but you have them when and if you do need them!

Look at my signature below...I think actions speak louder than words.

use the Classifieds forum. Please don't use this forum for that purpose. Since you're relatively new here, GNILAEH has this item listed on the classified forum for $700. HH Randy