Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

xterra 30

markg39

would like to hear anybodys views on the xterra 30//pros and cons.......tips ect ect

The X-30 is a very solid performer. If you are looking for a "turn on and hunt" metal detector with notch rejection, target ID and optional coil availability, the X-30 is a good one. Not as many features as the X-50 or X-70. But it hunts just as deep for many folks. There is quite a bit of information on the X-30 located in the FAQFAQ section at the top of these posts. Take a look through those articles and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. HH Randy

many thanks mate will lookup info

The X-30 is an outstanding detector, consistant with Minelab quality. After I got an X-Terra 30 I rapidly became a rabid Minelab fan. This detector is truly a "grab it and go" machine that gives you everything you would want/need on a turn on and go machine. I am constantly amazed at what this thing does. You can't go wrong with any X-Terra machine.

G'day again Mark.
It appears that you are looking at the Ace as well as the X-Terra 30. On paper, these 2 detectors are about as close as 2 detectors can be. they are both easy to use. Ive got a couple of hundred hours on each of these machines and enjoy using both of them. At the end of the day, it is going to come down to personal preference. About the only direct feature that one has that the other doesn't, is that the X-Terra has a volume control, which makes hunting without head phones, a more enjoyable experience. the Ace is easier to pinpoint with, but I've recently found that I've been able to adopt that technique to the X-Terra, which makes it easier to work with. To get the best pinpoint, you hit the pinpoint button and centre the coil over the target. you then pull it back towards yourself till you lose the target, then slide it back till you reacquire it. then just give the coil a bit of a wiggle as you draw it back towards yourself again.This will put the target just under the 12 o'clock position, under the inner coil. The X-Terra has a completely different sounding pinpoint to the Ace. With the Ace, you are listening to the audio fade, but with the X-Terra, you can listen to how loud it is over shallow targets. Screw caps tend to sound louder than coins.
The audio system on the X-Terra is easier on the ear than the Ace. Also, the recovery speed on the X-Terra's are a bit faster, which means that you will get better target separation if there is a lot of junk int the ground. Also, the numbers are easier to read than the notches on the Ace. But that is only a minor thing.
At the end of the day, it will come down to what you personally like.
Good luck with your decision.
Mick Evans.

Hi Mick

Is this pinpointing technique one that works with the concentric coil only or can you use it with the DD coils?

Ken

It's for a concentric coil Ken. However, with the DD coil it's kind of similar in that you centre the target under the middle of the coil and slide the coil back toward yourself (wiggling if you want to) and the target should be under the tip of the coil. Something that I like about the round DD coil when pinpointing the X-Terra, is that if a target is shallow, then just under the logo, the target will sound off louder. Sometimes I'll just X over the target to get it's location. It's just a matter of how many targets are present, because if you are just Xing then you can distinguish what is what.
Just going back to pinpointing with the concentric coil again. I used to get sucked into pinpointing using the pinpointing graphic that is on the display. Generally, I've found that it will only tell you that the target is somewhere under the inner coil (which can be frustrating at times) but if you practice with a coin for a minute or 2 with the method that I described, then you will find that target locating will become a LOT easier. I still use the centring graphic, but only to put the target in approximately the right location before I start dragging the coil back. As I only use a screw driver to make my recoveries,pinpointing accurately is a must for me.
Mick Evans.