Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XT70 and the 5 x 10 coil

Farmercal

Boy, talk about a hot coil. I went to that old school that has been worked to death over the years to try out that 5 x 10 coil and talk about sensitivity. I found little round ball at 4 to 5 inches and I have no idea of what the thing is, it appears to perhaps lead and it's about three times the size of a BB. If I didn't own the vibra probe, I wouldn't even have found what I was detecting. I also found misc little pieces of junk, a clad dime and a 1939 penny in bad shape. I though I would pull out more coins but the place is pretty littered with trash metal items. I also found more than one pencil eraser (copper) which rang out at about 8 on the VDI. I sure do like that Xterra 70, and it's like swinging nothing.

Believe or not I jacked the sensitivity all the way up to max and I always use pattern 1. I also use 99 tones. I listen to the signals and then determine whether or not to dig. I have already got the square pull tabs figured out and they always show as 18 and have a distinct solid sound. After numerous checking I was always right on in my diagnosis before I dug. The number are close to the other coils for ID but when the numbers get to 26 or higher I usually dig to make sure. This site is littered with these copper nails with a head shaped like a stop sign and they always sound just like a penny. Frustrating but at least they are copper! I like this coil and using the criss-cross method of pinpointing finding the target was pretty easy and quite dead on. I really like DD coils.

I used the 5x10 for just a short time a week after getting the X70 and it was so sensitive that I was not sure about what it was doing. Now I'm ready to give it a try.

Farmercal, what pattern and sensitivity level did you operate at? Also, it seems to me very trashy areas could be tough with 5x10.
Do the VDI readings correspond to those with standard coil?

Any opinions you or other have would really be a help in learning to work with this coil.

Dick

Hello Dick,

1. The 5x10 HF DD is the best coil currently available for working in trash with the X machines. If not familiar with a DD type, the detection is basically a straight line from top to bottom(red line)& the Pinpoint about where the green "X" is.
[attachment 39226 dd.gif]

2. You're going to have to adjust to the way you swing and check targets. Imagine for a moment that the coil pattern from the standard coil is about the size and shape of a large donut. You've been used to swinging over targets that give a long target audio report. Now you will be swinging over them with a pattern about the thickness of a pencil. The target audio wise will appear to come and go in the blink of an eye comparatively.

3. The machine will now act like it has suddenly sped up dramatically. The machine is not going to miss targets with this quick response, it will actually see more targets, as it suffers less masking than a concentric. But the audio report will be short(fast), and to get a good analysis you are going to need to re-swing over the located target a bit more slowly to let your brain catch up with the audio.

4. Being a DD it will handle highly mineralised ground better and you will be able increase the sensitivity. But be warned as an HF coil it will be very sensitive to small bits of foil etc. So turning down the sensitivity or disc-ing out the lower numbers might be needed depending on what you are looking for and where.

5. Practice with some samples before going out for real. And choose a hunting area with sparse targets at first to get a feel for her. The standard coils are like the swords of the Knights of the Realm, the HF DD is like a rapier. Once mastered you'll be drawing imaginary "Z's" in the air with it as you slash your way through fields of trash.:lol:

HH
BarnacleBill

Thanks Bill & Famercal for a bunch of good info on DD coils. Now I have a better understanding and will have an idea what to expect.

Now, another question:confused:

For the next four weeks I'm on the Georgia and Florida Atlantic coast, so will be doing quite a bit of beach hunting. Should I stick with the stock coil or go to work with the 5x10??

Any help is sure appreciated.:thumbup:

I'd go with the 5X10 for better ground & salt rejection, plus ur looking for gold right?

This post I made a while back may be helpful:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,383417,383417#msg-383417

In the dry sand use Normal GB and no tracking if you can, but on the damp/wet go to Beach GB and tracking ON. Sensitivity may have to be reduced to say 15 or so for stability, but I hunt black sand beaches so you may be able to go higher.

I envy you all that beach time, show us some of that yellow stuff you find!

HH
BarnacleBill

This is a great site for knowing how to beach hunt ( www.thegoldenolde.com/ ) It tells you about everything you need to know about the beach. You have a good machine. Take plenty of pictures and show us your finds. Most of all have a great time. If you get to Daytona Beach, we might run into each other. I am the big bald guy, playing with the yellow fellow in the dry sand wishing he had a machine like yours. Don't laugh, I find rings also.

Dick,

If you have the 5 x 10, by all means use it as it covers the ground well. You just have to remember that it IS a DD and that means it detect the whole length of the detector not a cone shape like concentric coils. Pin pointing can be done by the x method (which works extremely well for me), or by swinging up or back until you quit heating the signal and the item will be in front/back of the coil. I have used both methods with equal success. Like I said, I really like that coil and I haven't even put it to that much use. Also, be forewarned you the sand part of the beach is littered with small pieces of trash and beer cans. Don't be surprised in digging a lot of junk while detecting the dry sand. That is part of the price you have to pay to hunt there. Good Luck.

Thanks John.
That is one fantastic site for info.I don't get down to a beach too often (the nearest one is 250 miles away), but it is good to know what to look out for when I do.
All the best.
Mick Evans.

Farmercal,

The small round lead ball may be a pistol ball from around the 1850-60's, Go back and try to find more and maybe other old age finds will surface.

One of these days I'll get me an X-70 with the DD coil, I would love to try one out.

You from Calif?

Paul (Ca)

Sorry it took so long to get back to this post, but no, not from Califormia. I live in northwest Florida but this area I am hunting is a small town in lower Alabama. They shut the school down about 15-20 years ago, so not much new stuff there to be found. I will still pound it for those elusive finds but the place is littled with small metal objects.