Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XL-Pro audio language vs XLT

Druid

Hi All,
Looking for a little help here please.
I am swinging an XL-Pro and have to admit that I am just not getting its audio language down clearly.
When hunting in GEB Disc. mode I dig a lot of rusty, and/or bent nails that seem to ring in as good even after pinpointing and re-sweeping at various speeds right on top of the target.
Meter needle is frequently hitting up around zinc penny to dime range on these rusty objects.
Audio is repeatable but not as smooth as a coin in isolation, I just hate to pass up these signals as I feel they may be good targets located near trash, also I find in our soil an old silver coin often does not give a classic "good target" response.
Please note that these are really corroded pieces of iron that have formed clumps on them, IE: they look more like a dumbbell than a nail now.
Coins at shallow (up to about 4-5") depths sound off nice and smooth with no problems.
I am using the royal 800 coil.
Starting to think I may do better with a XLT with its -95 to +95 scale and SignaGraph display.
Any one use both units and able to offer up some advice?
Benefits, drawbacks?
I have and use a DFX also and have no problems with either knobs or menu type adjustments.

Thanks,

Drew.

Drew, It's very rare that I dig any iron. Actually less than any machine I've ever owned. Rusty objects have a broken, stutter or clipped sound. Coins next to nails will cause the meter to bounce from iron to the probable target ID. Using the pinpoint mode and slowly X'ing the target at different angles will most often indicate that there is more than one target. It's become second nature to me and I dig coins very close to or in the same hole with iron. It just takes practice. Deep coins at the edge of the Xl Pro's detection have a similar response but can be identified easily by the depth and sizing the target in pinpoint. I've posted this before but these are recent finds from a couple of iron infested lumber mill ghost towns where 2 or more iron objects per sweep are the norm. Also here are some good tips on using the 6000's/XL Pro.

Whites 6000 tips
http://66.51.97.78/jb/6dipro.html

If your hunting an area with lots of iron lock the ground balance, set the hotrock setting to reject. Setting it to accept will often cause the detector see the rust halo as a good target and respond just as it would on a hotrock. Also make sure your signal balance is set properly as a setting to high will cause it to false or give a better signal on deep iron.

Thank you for your reply crazyman,

I am going to print your tips, and take them in note form to the field to test.
Much obliged!

Drew.

XL Pro VS XLT: I like the XLT. A really good detector if you want to cherry-pick the most likely-to-be good targets from shallower depths, especially in a low-trash environment.

Tone ID on ANY make or mode, however, can be a real pain because it will quickly cause many to rely on it rather than on the best discriminator. Visual & Audio Target ID can be, and are, easily fooled, especially when in trash-filled environments. It gets worse when the 'trash' is iron or magnetic-based metals. There is ONLY ONE TID SYSTEM THAT IS 100% ACCURATE ............. YOUR EYES !!

If you get a good signal or a questionable signal, recover it and take a gander. If it looks like a keeper ... it is! :)

Now, for a little help of getting a better good signal initially, or a reasonably decent "iffy" or "questionable" signal.

XLT: Turn OFF Tone ID, and Turn Off AutoTrac

The XL Pro has excellent iron discrimination but using a setting of accept will cause it to hit some rusty nails and other objects with a large rust halo with a good positive beep. It sees the leeching of rusty iron material into the surrounding soil as mineral and responds just at it should when the discrimination is set to accept it. I've tested this many times in the field with the 6000 Di Pro SL/ XL pro and Eagle Specrtum/XLT.

Monte,

Your statement about trying to get better 'iffy' or 'questionable' signals just turned the light on for me and is probably one of the most important tips for all of us but more importantly the many newcomers starting out in the hobby.. I think alot of newbies trust their detectors audio and visual capabilities too much.

Maybe one of the first things a newcomer should do is open up the detector a little more and dig those 'iffy' sounds, just to learn the detectors languange. When they do get an older silver coin down deep, they will realize that although the detector may have told them it was junk, they now know that deeper 'iffy' sounds should be investigated.

I know it was frustrating for me at first (heck, it still is sometimes) but I bet I would have found alot more older coins in the beginning if I dug more of the questionable signals.

JC

Good advice as always.
I will try the 5.3 BullsEye in place of the Royal 800, and do some "dig all" hunting and see what turns up.
Combined with Crazyman's tips should help me out.

Drew.

All but forgot those tips and tricks we used to post on the White's site way back when :smoke: Brings back some fond memories though Mike, thanks for posting them! :beers: