Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Xcal800 From all Metal to Discriminate: Why a Delay??

darksky

I was working with the Excal 800 in All Metal, hitting a target, then switching to Discriminate 1 on Monday. There were times when it stayed in All metal! I checked the knob which was nice and tight, and the click was occurring toggling it to the Disc position, yet all metal threshold continued. I noticed here indoors that it will seem to do the same and stay in all metal but if I wave around the coil, it then switches to Discriminate. Is this normal? Just seems a bit quirky about that. Before I examine the internal switch, I figured Id ask here if anyone has run into this. Again, the knob is not slipping. I am well familiar with that!
Russ

I have noticed that sometimes if you change to disc mode it seems that it doesn't change but in fact it does as you will notice as soon as you pass an object under the coil, probably caused by the threshold tone being the same in both modes when not over metal

Kered,

Thanks, you washed away all my worries answering darksky's question! Much appreciated.

Steve

As a follow up, on my first excalibur there was a slight difference in the volume between the 2 modes so you noticed it had changed(on my sovereign too) but with the excalibur ll the tone/volume is contant in both settings usually only from all metal to disc, the other way round you can usually tell, i have read of people using this to advantage to reset the threashold to get rid of the iron drone, a quick flip of the switch after passing over iron in disc mode will do it, i prefer to leave it as quite often a slight threshold change is the only indicator that somethings there

Thanks for the responses but I know when all Metal and Disc is in mode. While the threshold sound might make one think it has not switched to Disc from AM, the target responses are very different. I switched to Disc after finding target in AM and it was touchy. At times it stayed in AM with that squeak like sound that reminds me of a bulb horn on a tricycle. I think I might want to look into the internal switch and see if it is toggling correctly and consistently. I can get it from AM to Disc at times immediately, other times it is tough and requires playing with it a bit.