Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X70,,,,,, 90 degree sweeps or 360 degree?

Icehouse

I have been out with my x70 and I have found many good signals. I have read to "X" the location at 90 degrees to help identify a good target and insure signal repeatability.

I find myself continually sweeping back and forth OR side to side over the target for 360 degrees while I walk around it. Many times when I have a good target I tend to get quite a variance in both tone and visual ID response when using this metod. This variance typically will put "coins" outside of their usual numbers/tones.

My question is,, am I over complicating my hunting by sweeping continuously for 360 degrees while trying to identify my target or is this a better way of acquiring and indentifying a target as opposed to just sweeping at 90 degree increments?

Thanks for any response or help.

Ice,

You didn't state what type of terrain you are hunting in so this may or may not be helpful to you. If the terrain is dirt or sand the most helpful thing that I have found that you can do to get a stable target ID and good signal repeatability is to scrape about 1" off the surface. I guess I haven't ever taken the time to try to analyze why this works, but try it, if the terrain permits. This works amazingly well with dry salt water beach sand.

As to 90 degree sweeps vs full 360 degree sweeps, hopefully some of the really qualified experts that frequent this board will join in and give you their opinions.

Tom G

I usually only check a target with a side to side movement. I normally pass the coil over it more than 6 times each time, just to see how it responds. If you go around it 360 degrees, nothing wrong with that at all. You will locate all other metal object next to the target this way, which would explain why you are getting your numbers jumping around on a good target. Which way you do it, is neither right nor wrong, it only matters that you check it.
Mick Evans.

After I got off the computer, I took my XLT out side to play around with (just purchased). After that, I pulled out my X-Terra 30 and played around with it as well.
Here in Oz, our 10c comes in at 12, same as pull tabs. Pull tabs can bounce up to 16. When I Xed over the pull tabs, the numbers started to bounce around heaps and the coin still gave a solid reading!:surprised: Very useful. If you didn't post the question, then I wouldn't have made the discovery.
Cheers.:thumbup:
Mick Evans.

Hi Mick,

slightly off topic, apologies Icehouse.

With my 70 the TID always bounces around a couple of numbers.
Like with the 10c, mine is almost always 12-14, sometimes even up to 16, especially if the coin is on the surface.
Same with 5c, amost always 8-10, up to 12.
Ditto for all the rest. I usually run sens at around 15 cause once again, I'm not chasing anything really deep.

Just assumed all the terras behaved the same.
Maybe they do and I've just got a slightly bung machine.

Comments anyone?

Lou.

You know I tend to do just a side to side over good targets. I am a coinshooter and most of the time the coins lock in pretty well. Now if i get an iffy good signal then I will do a 90 and sometimes do a 360 over the target. I think it really comes down to what works for you. If it is working well why change, Beale.

There are probably about 15 factors that can have an effect on ID stability, some of which you can control for and others that you can't. So rather than list them all out, may I suggest a simple technique to eliminate your physical movement errors. Walking around in a 360deg is just going to cause you grief and waste time.

We're going to assume that you have the detector set up properly for stable operation according to your location. These detectors are designed to be swung with the coil parallel to the ground about one inch above the ground.

1. Locate a target.
2. Pinpoint the target dead center(this is the most important factor).
3. Once centered over the target, set the coil on the ground with a light amount of pressure.
4. While looking at the coil to make sure it doesn't slide left or right, take one giant step:lol: left or right 90 degrees pivoting the detector. The coil should still be dead centered on the target.
5. Lift the coil one inch above the ground and make a consistent sweep.

You've now controlled for one of the factors that has a big impact on ID stability with any detector. It's also the only way that I would hunt in a turf situation where you are trying to keep surface damage to a minimum.

HH
BarnacleBill

G'day Lou.
That sounds about right. I'm swinging a 30, so my numbers aren't going to move around as much. 10c can bounce up to 16 as well. Often does.
I looked closely at but the 70 a while back, but the number bouncing that you mentioned seemed to happen more than I liked. $1 and $2 coins could come in at 28 to 34. On the 30, they come in at 32. The $2 coin can go down to 28, but mostly 32. They give off a softer pinpoint to a screw cap, making them easy to figure out though. This was the reason that I kept the 30. I've played with a borrowed 70 a couple of times now and really like it.
Mick Evans.

Hello again and thank-you all for your replies. Everything posted is of great value. Also, I do not mind a reply which may seem slightly off-topic but still renders positive understanding of the X-terra machines AKA X30, X50, X70 and such :) . Day by day I learn more about this great machine and it is places like this that allow for that.

In response to Tom G, my terrain as of late is grassy areas in parks/fields or areas that people frequent. The soil is dark and moist usually. I will generally set-up my X70 as follows. >> Turn on machine and noise cancel holding it steady @ 4-5 inches off the ground. Then I lower my sensitivity to 8-9 and set it to all-metal. I then do a auto ground balance while bobbing the coil from sub 1 inch to 4 inches while auto-GB. I typically see 15-23 in my local dark soil. I usually do not have the luxury of time to scrape away the top 1" but your comment is well recieved about doing so.

When I find a good signal after doing the above, I will pin-point briefly to locate the target. Once the center of target is established I do a continual sweep @ 360 degrees side to side maintaining my coil level as possible and no more than an inch from the ground. I will take heed of what you said earlier BarnacleBill ;)

To Mick in Dubbo, I too have interestingly witnessed this reading bounce as you have stated. I am in usa and here nickels @ 10-12 read the same or close to the same as those pesky pull-tabs of older generation in my experience. While walking around my target @ 360 degrees I get solid signals for lets say 90-130 degrees then immediately followed by immediate "beep-beeps and readings jumping" which usually indicate pull-tab as you mentioned. Sometimes I try to humor myself and dig those signals only to find a pull-tab,,,,, BUT I was dreaming of 2-3 nickels in a row edge to end close to surface lol.

Maybe it is my dark soil composition for me which allows for irregular readings and/or interferance from close-by metalic "other" items. I have dug many early 1960 to 2000+ pennies which would register dime 36-38. Generally after finding a target I scan the hole and I get nothing after removing the plug. I guess it can be how the coin is laying as well among other variences. I also will take heed of your comment Beale.

Soo many good replies and thankful I am. I am steadily learning that the variables are infinite from one persons terrain and technique to the next. I am now understanding how this will lead to a persons persuasion or dissuasion of currently established technique with the X-terra machine(s).

From Oz to Iceland and from the BK to Mexico it is always great to hear and learn from all of your experiences. Please post more if possible and thanks for sharing ;)

when you said: "I am steadily learning that the variables are infinite from one persons terrain and technique to the next."

When I first wrote the "Coin Shooting with the X-Terra", nearly 3 years ago, it was an introductory "article" intended to "cut to the chase" for those wanting to grab their new X-Terra and dig some goodies. Hopefully, it has accomplished that. But as you said, variables are infinite. As with any detector, using it and gaining confidence in your technique, is paramount. The TID charts I've provided give a basis as to what one might expect when hunting for US coins. Those numbers are not cast in stone, as TID can vary with soil conditions, sweep speed, target placement, adjacent targets etc. But they still provide a good "starting point" for learning the X-Terra. Since writing it, however, I've found several coins that are not listed, and should make an effort to update that chart.

One comment I'd like to address is the difference in number variance between the X-30 and the X-70. Keep in mind that there are twice as many notch segments on the X-70 as there are on the X-30. In other words, the X-70 can provide a different TID based on every "even number" from -8 to +48. Whereas the X-30 "skips" every other even numbered target. For example, if you hit a dime with the X-70, it might "bounce between" 36, 38 and 40. Since the X-30 does not offer a TID of 38, it may bounce between a 36 and a 40. You might sweep an X-70 over a silver quarter that bounces between 38, 40 and 42. Again, since the X-30 does not have either a 38 or a 42, it could remain stable at a 40. Or it may jump up to 44. Nothing wrong with either detector. Simply a matter of the X-70 having twice as many "choices" than the X-30. The X-50 falls right between the X30 and X-70, with 3 digit notch segments.

One suggestion I would offer would be to set your Noise Channel before each hunt. I can't say that this might be causing some of your "number bouncing". But adjusting the Noise channel properly on your X-70 will allow it to operate in a more stable manner.

In regard to your initial question, and again referencing my Coin Shooting articles, I still hunt by my "consistency" theory. With my X-70, I hunt in all metal, multiple tone mode. When I pass over a target that provides an audio signal that is within the range of what I am hunting for, I make a mental note of where it centers, and sweep over it from several directions. I listen for a consistent tone, from more than one direction. If the tone does not waver, I usually pinpoint the target by using the Prospecting mode. IF the target location is the same using the Prospecting mode as it was in the Coin/Treasure mode, and if there are not any adjacent targets within the detection pattern of the coil I have on, I feel my chances of digging a "keeper" are getting pretty good. The last process I use, before digging, is to check the TID. I don't really care what the number is. I am looking for consistency. It might not be a TID that represents what is typically a coin. But just because the TID is not representative of something on that coin chart, don't pass it up. If the location of the target remains consistent when using C/T and Prospecting, AND if there are not any adjacent targets to make the audio change, AND if the TID remains within a couple notches either direction, I dig it. I will sometimes get fooled with an occasional screw cap or piece of can slaw. But I dig a lot of coins. If I had ignored some of those TID numbers that were not on the coin chart, I'd have missed that 3-cent nickel that read a 6. I'd have missed that 3-cent silver that read a 22 - 24. And I'd have missed that gold ring that read a 4 - 6. Again, not all the good targets you can dig will read consistent. And not all consistent TID readings guarantee that you've found a coin. But having used the X-Terra for nearly 3 years since I wrote the first of those articles, I still say that for 99% of my hunting, "consistency is the key". The other 1% is "covered" by how I end all of my posts. You'll never know for sure......unless you dig it! HH

JMHO Randy