Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra Shaft Adjustment

Danno

Guys,

I love my new 705, but it appears that Minelab have overlooked one very important feature and that is Shaft Length Adjustment. (See my previous post regards aching arm).

It seems the only way for anyone under 6ft to have a comfy fit to the X-Terra series is to take an angle grinder or hacksaw to the shaft and re-position the spring and re-drill a new hole.

Either that or purchase the shorter shaft (that may the even be too short) or an aftermarket replacement.

You'd have thought Minelab would have offered more flexibility in shaft adjustment with the X-Terra than is provided.

Is it much the same with their other detectors like the E-Trac and GP Series or do they have a wider adjustment setup ?

Quite ironic that a company like Minelab can design brilliant electronics, only to be let down by (what basically is) a glorified extendable walking stick or invalid aid/crutch type arrangement.

Danno

I'm also 6 foot tall and my lower rod is set midway in the range of adjustments. Plus, I have the flexibility to make it longer or shorter, (for various coils) with the holes provided in the stock rod. The E-TRAC rod assembly is totally different than the X-TERRA in that the cable stores inside the rod, has infinite settings with it's locking collar mechanism.

Frankly, I don't think Minelab overlooked anything. They designed a detector who's rod assembly accomodates the vast majority of users. When a relatively small number of customers called for a shorter rod, they made one available. I think you'll find the overwhelming majority of X-TERRA users on this forum either don't have a problem with the stock rod, or they have made a very easy modification. Most of us understand that the most important aspect of any metal detector is the technology behind it. Not speculating that Minelab let us down with the rod length.

If your stock rod is too long, either buy the shorter version or cut off your stock rod with a hacksaw, dremel tool, plumber's tubing cutter or something, drill the hole and move the locking clip. I think you will find it takes less time to modify your lower rod than it has taken you to make posts about what you have determined to be an ongoing problem. JMHO HH Randy

I bought an Xterra 505 from a dealer two weeks ago (already assembled) and I also am coming from a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. My arm was feeling fatigued because it seemed the Xterra forced me to hold the detector up and out in front. After thinking about this I discovered the Xterra was assembled incorrectly. The rod is three sections and the center piece was turned 180 degrees. This also meant the coil was on backward. After correcting this, the Xterra is exactly the same length as the Bounty Hunter and the coil / my arm position are essentially the same. Granted, I did have the ability to shorten the BH more while the XTerra is as short as it will go. I would check assembly before cutting the shaft.

S505

S505,

Arrgghhh! I feel an idiot! I too have mine assembled wrong.

That's better, it's 100% more comfy now.

Thanks for the tip.

Danno

The manual has a nice picture of the proper assembly.

Digger said:
If your stock rod is too long, either buy the shorter version or cut off your stock rod with a hacksaw, dremel tool, plumber's tubing cutter or something, drill the hole and move the locking clip. I think you will find it takes less time to modify your lower rod than it has taken you to make posts about what you have determined to be an ongoing problem. JMHO HH Randy

Yes my stock X-Terra lower coil shaft is also too long. So just cut it down(and re-drill the locking clip hole) as Randy said. A shorter lower coil shaft is alot better not only for swinging but also for transport because when the lower shaft is pushed all the way up for travelling, the detector is much shorter overall for putting on the back car seat.