Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra Newbie Questions

CA Steve

Hi all,
Just purchased and used the x-terra 70 and have a few questions.

First when pinpointing why does the depth meter at times show all arrows when the target is at times just below the surface?
Next while pinpointing a good target display will show a -8 when detected at 38?
How do you know when you are running sensitivity to high? I hear alot of people say they run maximum sensitivity. Even if you are getting false signals will the good targets still come through accurately?
Thanks to all who reply.

Hi Steve.
Sometimes when pinpointing, you may be picking up a second target, however, if your depth metre is jumping around a lot, then you can use it as a method of checking your target. Just pretend that you are a sonar operator in a ship and the target that you are looking for is similar to a sub. When you ping a sub, you will get a good signal back. When you ping the bottom or some twisted rubbish, then the target is going to reflect the signal in all sorts of directions, thus giving you a broken and or erratic signal. The same thing applies if you see the numbers bouncing around all over the place. For a bit, it can be good to dig up targets that are doing this to you, just so that you can learn what the detector is telling you. After a while, it will become second nature to you. If you start to get frustrated by this, then just ignore targets that do this to you.
When you get a number that goes from negative to a high positive number, then it is iron.
At first, run your sensitivity at the factory presets. This preset will give you the best all round performance. As you get to know your machine, then play around with your sensitivity settings. The bottom line is, that while in some situations you can run with your sensitivity at maximum to get the best depth in ground that has no mineralisation, if it is mineralised, then it would be like trying to drive though a fog with your high beams on in your car. Like dipping your lights, so is dropping your sensitivity and you will actually see deeper than if you had the sensitivity cranked up. It will stop a lot of false signals; basically you turn your sensitivity down till you stop getting false signals. The other major reason that you run your sensitivity down, is to hunt around metal poles eta that you may find in a children's playground or near a fence. The minimum that I find that I can run my 30 at and still be viable is 3. The reason that you do this, is so that you can pick up coins that are close to these items. It lets you get in a lot closer.
Mick Evans.

If you get a target that only bounces from one notch to one other notch or behaves in the same way on the depth metre, then still consider it to be a good target. it just means that a certain item may simply fall between these 2 points.
Mick Evans.

I used the automatic ground balance. Wonder what I did wrong. Seems to only do it while pinpointing. I'll try again.
Thanks,