Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 70 question?

Relic$Hunter

Hey guy's got a question for civil war relic hunters..buttons.. coins ..bullets...small brass..
I just recieved my X70 today and it came with all three coils made for this unit..My question is what coil should I use???
I currently use a Explorer 2 with a 8 inch coil and it works well for me but I know it is a DD coil and is very different than these coils.
Any ideas?? and any other relic hunting tips for me with this unit?:clap:

Thanks

Congrats on the X-70. And don't worry about the concentric coils. Once you start using them, you will find they pinpoint tighter than the DD. Just be sure you overlap your swaths a bit more.

My mineralization is moderate around here. So I use the concentrics 95% of the time. I don't hunt Civil War Sites as there weren't any battles fought around here. But I do "accidently" dig quite a few buttons, bullets and pieces of brass when I am out hunting for coins. I prefer the 3 kHz because it seems to be "hotter" on the higher conductive targets. But, the 7.5 isn't a slouch either. I don't use the 18.75 too much as I have found I have to lower the sensitivity on the X-Terra or it chatters. Guess that is because the 18.75 is tuned to be a bit more sensitive to begin with. And if I have to lower the sensitivity of the X-Terra to compensate for a more sensitive coil, it just don't make sense to me.

Although the 3 kHz and 7.5 kHz both are hot on spent casings, the 7.5 bounces around a bit more on the TID of brass, compared to the 3 kHz. Like I said, I mostly hunt for coins in old sites. Primarily old fair grounds, picnic grounds, settler grounds and Chautauquas. Some of these old sites have hundreds of spent casings and lead slugs left in the ground. This will probably sound nuts to you, but the bouncing around is what keeps me from digging the brass. Especially old shotgun shell casings. The TID just doesn't lock on as tight on the 7.5 as it does with the 3 kHz. In other words, I "accidently" dig more casings with the 3 kHz than the 7.5 only because I can ID them better with the 7.5. The lead, however, will lock on and read similar to a coin with either coil.

My best advice would be to try them all on the targets you are looking for. If not in the field, at least on the bench or in your yard. Scatter a few around and see what kind of depth and sensitivity you get with each one. And after you decide which one works best, let us know. I'm always interested in learning more about targets I don't typically run across around here. HH Randy

Thanks Digger I was hoping you would jump in and give me some advice:clap:
I have seen some of your earlier post and they were very impressive.
Impressive enough to print a copy of your X-Terra Target chart.
Thanks for the advice and keep the great post coming.
I will let you know what works good here in Louisiana and post any good finds.

John K.