Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 50 on the beach.

birac

I tried it in St Thomas and it worked great,dry and in knee high water found some keepers.I haven't heard that much about the X-50 seeing that the X-70 is very similar its almost like the same detector.

70 model has a seperate way to ground balance for saltwater beaches and on fresh water beaches see no problems..
Never used the 50 or 70 on the beach but have heard some good feeback on the 70 for saltwater beaches, but of course beaches do differ and the same beach also from day to day depending on what tide is bringing in...

Is it still working OK?
I couldn't bring myself to use mine in water. . . I didn't even know the coils are waterproof.
amazing!

lemons

i called the Minelab dealer in Fla and ask them if the coils are water proof and they said yes.It worked in dry and wet areas,i dropped a coin in knee high water at Magens Bay just to check it out ,and got a loud clear signal.Be careful in rough surf don't get the control box splashed,i just covered mine with clear plastic nice and tight. i will eventually get a water proof detector but for now the X-50 did it for me. Yes i had a little trouble on one of the beaches on St John with the ground balance in knee high water it was very rocky,black rocks,so i stayed on the dry sand.

G'day birac, I'm truly amazed. I never even thought to ask if my XT50 was wet capable when I bought it.
I can't even recall seeing anything about it, the coil, being submersible in the dicky little book.
It's probably there if I take another look. . . and I will.

I've had it for nearly a year and a half now. about two-hours detecting across parks to get the hang of it and half an hour up
at Dunolly after rain. It was in very wet clay. . . messy and guess what? I decided to quit in case water got into the coil.

As a general rule; do beach shooters use any products on the coils and stems to protect from corrosion?
There are various silicon sprays around that may be suitable. . . I haven't used them on any of my detectors so far because I tend to avoid taking expensive electronics out in the rain.

lemons

All of the X-Terra coils are listed as being "water-proof" EXCEPT the elliptical DD. It is listed in Minelab's literature as being "water-resistant". Some have sealed around the coil cover with silicon, in an effort to make it more water-resistant. A search on this forum will provide you with quite a bit of useful information concerning coils and their attributes. HH Randy

On the old Sov coinsearch coils, they were also listed as water resistant and I always sealed where the cable left the coil by unscrewing the strain relief and loading that up with aquarium silicone. Never had one leak(knock on wood), so I would recommend likewise if anyone was to try waterproofing the 5x10 elliptical.

HH
Neil